Author Topic: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident  (Read 40704 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Alec Baldwin Firearm Accident
« Reply #450 on: April 20, 2022, 06:39:18 PM »
New Mexico Fines ‘Rust’ Producers for Willful Breaches of Industry Gun Safety Practices
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/new-mexico-fines-rust-producers-for-willful-breaches-of-industry-gun-safety-practices/

For an article by a supposedly knowledgeable publication, I'm surprised to see this:

At a ranch on the outskirts of Santa Fe on Oct. 21, 2021, Baldwin was pointing a gun at cinematographer Halyna Hutchins inside a small church during setup for the filming of a scene when it went off, killing Hutchins and wounding the director, Joel Souza.

As we know, guns don't "go off" all by themselves. And I don't believe that the gun Baldwin was holding "went off" -- not without some help from Mr. Baldwin.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #451 on: April 20, 2022, 06:40:57 PM »
I keep telling you!  I was in the next State north of there and didn't have anything to do with it !

And I lost my phone in a tragic boating accident.

Terry 230RN
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 07:31:10 PM by 230RN »

griz

• friend
« Reply #452 on: April 20, 2022, 07:56:40 PM »
That was also on the BBC news today, and they covered it the same way.  Specifically, they said Mr. Balwin was holding the gun when it "went off".  So, I guess the state ruled it to be an avoidable workplace oopsie.  Let the lawsuits begin.  Do movie companies self insure?
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #453 on: April 23, 2022, 02:36:07 PM »
 it is hard for me to believe he still cannot face legal consequences - I hope the production company getting fined is the end of the investigation/prosecution
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #454 on: April 29, 2022, 07:54:56 PM »
He's back! The man knows no shame.

https://dailycaller.com/2022/04/29/alec-baldwin-calls-for-gun-control-in-viral-instagram-post/

Despite the fact that no gun control measure ever proposed by any anti-2A advocate (other than simply not allowing any guns in movies) would or could have prevented his shooting of Halyna Hutchins, he has decided that now is the time and he is the man to speak out in favor of more gun control.

Baldwin is worse than despicable. A phrase we used to use when I was in the Army comes to mind -- something involving whales and the bottom of the ocean.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 06:20:57 PM by Hawkmoon »

griz

• friend
« Reply #455 on: April 30, 2022, 03:28:48 PM »
As a gun owner who has safely used guns for half a century and never shot anybody, I really appreciate being given advice by somebody who oversaw a movie that used guns, hired the people that were in charge of using the guns safely, ignored their direction, and claims he isn't responsible for shooting the people whom he pointed a gun at and shot them.  Yep, he's got a lot of credibility.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #456 on: May 02, 2022, 04:59:58 PM »
It wasn't my fault.  My car slid off the road at 85mph and hit that lady. Who could blame me?  What was she doing there in the first place?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #457 on: May 21, 2022, 09:07:24 PM »
California Democrats try to enact laws that basically just regurgitate what the film industry [mostly -- except for Alec Baldwin] already does. Competing bills get no traction.

https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2022/05/21/california-tries-to-ban-guns-on-movie-sets-n470987

If those proposed rules sound familiar to you, that’s because they were all described extensively in reports that emerged after the Rust shooting. There was an armorer on Baldwin’s set and one of the assistant directors was a designated safety coordinator. There were lockable storage containers for all of the firearms and ammunition. The set schedules included provisions for safety meetings and inspections.

All of those provisions were in place. The problem is that Baldwin’s production company didn’t follow the rules or make use of all of the safety tools. Complaints were raised that the armorer was limited in the amount of time she was allowed to work. Safety meetings were canceled from the schedule. Weapons were not properly secured and people were reportedly engaging in target shooting in the desert when no filming was taking place. And the required inspections of all firearms and ammunition prior to being distributed to the crew obviously weren’t done rigorously or Halyna Hutchins would still be alive today. New rules wouldn’t make any difference if production companies ignore them.

griz

• friend
« Reply #458 on: May 22, 2022, 05:53:46 PM »
I like to think/hope that lawmakers are generally smart people.  But when they work to pass a law that requires what's already supposed to be happening, I have to wonder.  It's the legal equivalent of saying, "I learned my lesson, I'll never get that drunk again", then getting hammered anyway.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #459 on: May 22, 2022, 06:50:34 PM »
"In other news, Senator Ted Kennedy has introduced a bill that would impose harsh penalties for anyone leaving the scene of a fatal vehicular accident."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #460 on: May 22, 2022, 07:00:26 PM »
"In other news, Senator Ted Kennedy has introduced a bill that would impose harsh penalties for anyone leaving the scene of a fatal vehicular accident."

The dead not only vote they introduce bills now
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #461 on: August 13, 2022, 03:57:31 PM »
Update: The FBI has determined that the gun could not have fired unless Baldwin pulled the trigger.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/08/13/alec-baldwin-rust-shooting-forensic-fbi-pulled-trigger/

Where's my shocked face?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #462 on: August 13, 2022, 03:58:50 PM »
Update: The FBI has determined that the gun could not have fired unless Baldwin Trump pulled the trigger.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/08/13/alec-baldwin-rust-shooting-forensic-fbi-pulled-trigger/

Where's my shocked face?

Fixed it to what they actually meant to say
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 04:12:40 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #463 on: August 13, 2022, 04:15:55 PM »
Part of that forensic report (as reported by TMZ) makes no sense at all.  It says the gun could have fired a primer by fiddling with the hammer but not fired a bullet.  WTF does that mean?
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #464 on: August 13, 2022, 04:22:34 PM »
Part of that forensic report (as reported by TMZ) makes no sense at all.  It says the gun could have fired a primer by fiddling with the hammer but not fired a bullet.  WTF does that mean?

Yeah, that's a bit odd to say the least

but what the FBI notes in their reports is ... that gun, when working properly, will not release a bullet and primer simultaneously by just fiddling with the hammer alone.
Their report, per ABC, notes they set the hammer at varying angles and positions to see if they could make it fire without pulling the trigger ... but they say they couldn't. The only thing the hammer COULD do when de-cocked and then directly struck on its own (without pulling the trigger) was detonate the primer.
That essentially means it could set off the actual gunshot sound itself, without discharging a bullet, according to the FBI -- but that's obviously not what happened in AB's case.

That makes no sense at all

- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #465 on: August 13, 2022, 05:39:19 PM »

The FBI is showing their fabulous firearms expertise.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #466 on: August 13, 2022, 05:53:57 PM »

Yes, I raised an eyebrow over that little tidbit, myself.

TMZ is an entertainment-oriented web site, I believe. I'm reasonably certain that this is the result of a writer trying to explain something that he or she is incapable of understanding. I'd like to see the text of the actual report.

The Washington Times seems to have done a better job of covering it:
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/aug/13/fbi-forensic-report-reveals-alec-baldwin-had-have-/

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #467 on: August 13, 2022, 05:59:40 PM »
The FBI is showing their fabulous firearms expertise.

They are some of our finest.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #468 on: August 13, 2022, 09:05:59 PM »
 I used to make fun of Alec Baldwin, but now that I know he is allowed to brutally murder people - I am only going to speak very highly of him
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #469 on: August 14, 2022, 02:44:30 PM »
From the Washington Times link, it sounds like the gun was able to fire with the hammer down, w/o the trigger being pulled.

When the hammer was un-cocked and the chamber was loaded, the gun was able to detonate the primer without the pull of the trigger only when the hammer was struck directly, according to ABC News.

So if the uncocked hammer was struck, the gun could fire. No transfer bar safety, I guess. So Baldwin's lawyers will have to show the hammer was somehow struck while Baldwin innocently held it. Or, more likely, that the director told him to pull the trigger. But he's already said he didn't pull the trigger.

How did the FBI get involved? Local cops asked for an expert opinion on the gun?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #470 on: August 14, 2022, 02:50:53 PM »
From the Washington Times link, it sounds like the gun was able to fire with the hammer down, w/o the trigger being pulled.

So if the uncocked hammer was struck, the gun could fire. No transfer bar safety, I guess.

hence, the old single action six shooters used to only carry 5 rounds and one would leave the hammer down on an empty chamber?? -

one should still not point it at a human and check to see if loaded before handling on a movie set

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #471 on: August 14, 2022, 06:07:20 PM »
How did the FBI get involved? Local cops asked for an expert opinion on the gun?

Yes.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #472 on: August 22, 2022, 04:12:49 AM »
Update: Baldwin is still claiming it was everyone else's fault except his:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/19/entertainment/alec-baldwin-interview-rust-shooting/index.html

He also claims he has lost five roles due to the shooting. I guess that means we're supposed to feel sorry for him.

griz

• friend
« Reply #473 on: August 22, 2022, 09:10:18 AM »
He was the producer of Rust, so I assume he had some role in the hiring.  I wonder if this means not even he would hire himself now?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #474 on: August 22, 2022, 09:53:32 AM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge