Author Topic: Anyone use an espresso maker?  (Read 1605 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Anyone use an espresso maker?
« on: February 08, 2022, 01:50:53 PM »
I used to do that occasionally... Was dating/living with Wendy, who I met via THR, and she liked coffee... I had never really been a fan - My mother couldn't cook beyond baking, and that included coffee, so I hadn't really been exposed to stuff that wasn't... not all that good...

And Wendy liked coffee. So I got coffee stuff. Including an espresso maker. I still have the grinder, but I gave the pump machine to a guy I was driving for back around 2012 or so...

Is anyone into that sort of thing? Considering getting another, preferably capable of single cups of american-style coffee too...

FWIW, when I had the house in the suburbs, my kitchen had a commercial Bunn coffee maker - gave that to my buddy Rich when I was out at the lake. Fair coffee, very fast, but on all the time...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Anyone use an espresso maker?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 01:52:59 PM »
I do but haven't in quite awhile.

My brother and sister-in-law gave me a Mr. Coffee espresso maker for Christmas some years ago. I used it until it burned out and never replaced it.

I like espresso, but when I want coffee, I want a LOT of coffee.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 01:54:34 PM »
I have a stove top expresso pot and I have a Starpresso device when I feel like an Americano.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 01:58:53 PM »
We have one but haven't used it in years.  We have a Keurig and actually use that; I buy filtered water for it so it doesn't mineralize.  If I want more than 1 cup, I brew a pot of coffee on the stove.  With the espresso machine, I would buy dark roast regular-grind coffee and whiz it in a blender-type coffee grinder before use.  It worked well but was more trouble that it was worth, which is why we retired the machine.  It's still in a cupboard somewhere, I might even know which one.

If I *really* drank a lot of coffee, I would use the 30-cup electric percolator.  It makes really good coffee, but you need to brew at least a half a pot for it to work right.  It would probably brew 10 cups if I added some ice to the urn before starting it, but 10 cups is what the stovetop drip coffee pot makes.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 02:14:04 PM »
My bother in law has a Nespresso machine. That thing makes great cups of coffee, and the Nespresso cups are Starbucks! Really a surprise because I don't care for their coffee generally.

In storage I have one of the original Krups individual expresso makers. Still works and it's been run hard. Occasionally, I get on a Cappuccino kick and make them for a month or two and then it gets put away. I used it enough to where it made the cut when I was packing up and moving.   
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 02:15:29 PM »
https://staresso.com/

I picked mine up 2nd hand for $5. I drink a lot of hot tea so it's no big deal for me to boil a kettle.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 02:38:13 PM »
My coffee cup thing uses k-cups, and if I set one of them at 12 oz and the next one at 10 oz, I can add just the right amount of half and half to the purple coffee cup I bought myself back when I bought coffee stuff to have for Wendy.

I'm not weird. Really.

(I also have some Santa coffee cups that friends gave me, etc.)
Blog under construction

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 02:58:20 PM »
I have several french presses, a Zojirushi drip coffee pot, a Chemex, a Rocky grinder, and a Pasquini Livia 90 espresso machine.  I roast my own coffee for all of them. We are serious about coffee in my household.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 03:22:31 PM »
I used to have a Chemex. Last time I saw it, it was on a high shelf at Jen's...

My grinder is made by some outfit called Capresso.

I do not understand why these outfits all make their stuff round. Square, and wall-mounted, would be a great idea.

Idea: Modular setup to hang stuff off of cabinet doors...
Blog under construction

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 05:49:05 PM »
French press for multiple cups, and an Aeropress for single or good work coffee.

https://aeropress.com/

https://youtu.be/tRIX9G7D_9Q

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 06:49:04 PM »
Looked interesting, but... Lost me when they said "10 ounce cup."
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2022, 07:22:17 AM »
I have a Nissan insulated French Press a friend got me for Christmas many years ago. I've not used it in some time, though, but it makes a really good cup of coffee and it keeps the extras warm for hours.

Mainly I use my Black and Decker autodrip machine. The first one I had lasted over a decade with almost daily use so I figured I'd give B&D another shot at it.

It makes a decent cup of coffee, but I'm not running top of the line beans through it. I'm brewing Wegman's store brand ground coffee, which is surprisingly excellent.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 07:39:02 AM »
What I'd really like? Something with the convenience of the damn k-cup dealie that I got from Wally World on an impulse a few years back, but capable of brewing a larger, and decently strong, cup of "don't kill my cow orkers" without a lot of drama.

I mean, I have a Cuisinart "grind and brew," but it sucks at the grinding part, does okay at the brewing, but is a hassle to clean. And you have to be accurate in pouring water in.

Mornings are generally not the finest moments of my day...

Prediction: Someone is gonna invent a larger k-cup dealie. I don't understand how that has not happened so far.
Blog under construction

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 08:23:10 AM »
I got a Hamilton Beach single cup coffee maker that will hold 1/4 cup of grounds and make a 22oz cup of coffee. Probably a bigger cup if you cover the weep hole in the back of the cold water chamber.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 07:42:48 PM »
That's an idea... And that was pretty much the recipe I had been using. I might try one of those.

I got some Gorilla Tape...
Blog under construction

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2022, 04:56:37 PM »
We do coffee here.
We have a cuisinart coffee maker for up to 12 cups.
Often use a poor over filter holder for a mug of good coffee with a #2 paper cone. Works great if you don’t mind heating the water in a tea pot.
French press- only use occasionally.
Espresso in an antique alessi stove top or a krups electric haven’t used much since I got the hang of the alessi.
At an auction I purchased the alessi because it had a set of 4 nice espresso cups/saucers I wanted. I didn’t know anything about the Italian espresso pot at the time. Found out later it’s over $200 (I paid $10)
What we have here is failure to communicate.