Author Topic: Crock Pot Baked Beans  (Read 2585 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Crock Pot Baked Beans
« on: October 25, 2021, 01:37:41 PM »
I got the hankering for a crock of baked beans.

Gimmie your best recipe.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Crock Pot Baked Beans
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 01:41:04 PM »
I don't make them in a crockpot.  I haven't made them in years, but I start with canned pork 'n' beans or Van Camp's vegetarian beans, and add bacon, onions, dry mustard, and molasses.  Simmer slowly in a cast iron pot until heated through and thickened a little.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 01:44:38 PM »
OK, I should have specified that I'm talking 100% homemade baked beans.

Starting with dry beans and soaking them and assembling all of the ingredients.

I have often seasoned/adjusted a can of baked beans, but they're a poor substitute to homemade, at best.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 01:50:34 PM »
OK, I should have specified that I'm talking 100% homemade baked beans.

Starting with dry beans and soaking them and assembling all of the ingredients.

I have often seasoned/adjusted a can of baked beans, but they're a poor substitute to homemade, at best.

I knew what you meant, I've just never done it that way. =)  If you're going to doctor them up, use pork and beans, not baked beans.  They are as good has homemade IMHO, but that's not what you want...

Starting from scratch I would probably use Great Northerns.  And even if you use a crockpot you might need to finish them in the oven to get a little browning action.  Good luck.  I'm curious to see what you end up with.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 01:54:42 PM »
I will also follow this.  I have not made baked beans starting with dry beans, so I will be interested to see the recipes.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 01:57:38 PM »
Alton Brown has a GREAT baked bean recipe. I've made it before.

Just wanted to see if anyone here had a different recipe.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe-1938616

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 02:09:14 PM »
Alton Brown has a GREAT baked bean recipe. I've made it before.

Just wanted to see if anyone here had a different recipe.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe-1938616

His recipe almost looks good ;)  (it probably is good)  It should have mustard powder instead of cayenne.  I'm not sure how much, at least a teaspoon.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 02:47:26 PM »
^^^So as a novice to soaking beans for baked beans (I have soaked beans for soup), is there a significant difference when making baked beans?  And boy, that recipe of Alton's looks great.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 03:18:12 PM »
^^^So as a novice to soaking beans for baked beans (I have soaked beans for soup), is there a significant difference when making baked beans?  And boy, that recipe of Alton's looks great.

You mean soak vs using them dry?  Yes you want to soak them.  You can cook them without soaking; especially if you use a pressure cooker, but you'll never get the amount of water right.  And some of them might stay a little crunchy (in a bad way)
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 03:55:12 PM »
^^^I expressed myself poorly.  I have soaked dry beans and then used them for soup.  I have never soaked dry beans and then used them for baked beans.  I am curious if using soaked dry beans for baked beans tastes that much better.  I always thought tasty baked beans were more a function of the sauce/seasonings than the beans, but I am happy to be educated.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 07:35:11 AM »
One of the biggest reasons for soaking the beans before making baked beans is that acids like those found in tomatoes or even molasses can stop beans from softening during cooking.

By soaking them first, you start the softening process by preloading them with water, which greatly reduces the amount of acid they'll take up.

In dishes like chili, that have a LOT of acid because of a lot of tomatoes, I soak AND cook the beans before I add them to the chili.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 08:41:32 AM »
Circling back to this.

I've not made baked beans yet, but I came across this recipe for an easier version of baked beans called Calico Beans. I've had these at pot lucks before and they're really good.

I think I may give them a try this weekend.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cowboy-calico-beans/

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2021, 08:54:49 AM »
^^^I make these all the time, but sub out a good BBQ sauce for the ketchup.  I usually make a double recipe and use one pound of ground beef and one pound of bulk country sausage.  Very good.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2021, 09:29:27 AM »
I figured I'd double it and have it for lunches and, if I need to, freeze a bunch. It should freeze really well.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2021, 07:27:42 PM »
Made them. REALLY good. I used about a pound of ground turkey and a pound of Bob Evans sage pork sausage.

I also used Heinz Kansas City BBQ sauce, added some garlic powder and smoked paprika, and added an extra can of navy beans.

This one is a keeper. Great winter dinner. Needed some crusty bread, though. Not enough carbs with all of those beans...  ???

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2022, 09:40:36 AM »
I've made these several times this winter. Really nice Sunday dinner on a cold winter day, and the left overs I bring for lunch. It's a nice alternative to a batch of chili while still getting in the benefits of beans.

I've started using a bag of frozen lima beans instead of the canned because the canned are ridiculously expensive.

I've also messed around with various types of beans -- they all work.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2022, 11:42:12 AM »
I love Cowboy beans, but I'll have to make them with non beef ground meat and sub out the red kidney beans.

Kidney beans give me the same reaction as if I ate beef. :(
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 12:07:47 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2022, 11:59:31 AM »
I make mine with turkey, and this is the first batch I've put kidney beans in. I'm normally not a big fan of kidney beans but I decided to mix it up this time.