Author Topic: CR123 and CR123 Rechargeables  (Read 552 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
CR123 and CR123 Rechargeables
« on: October 26, 2021, 08:55:02 PM »
I'm needing some new CR123 batteries. Given their shelf life, I haven't ordered any in probably five years. I have always bought Surefires, but reading Amazon reviews, apparently their quality has gone downhill in recent years. Does anyone know if this is so? They were the go-to batteries the last time I bought, and I have been happy with their performance. What might be a better value now?

Additionally, I want to get some rechargeable CR123s. Anyone have a good brand recommendation?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: CR123 and CR123 Rechargeables
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 09:05:54 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 09:42:30 PM »
The problem with Amazon reviews is that they may be reviews of cheap Chinese fakes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 07:59:40 AM »
The problem with Amazon reviews is that they may be reviews of cheap Chinese fakes.
Or fake Chinese reviews.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 08:02:48 AM »
Yeah, I try to "read between the lines" when I use Amazon reviews anymore.  I've also been in the situation where I ordered some legit name brand on Amazon and got... not that. Certainly some of the reviewers could have also been gyped like that and not caught on that they didn't get the real thing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 09:07:51 AM »
In the last 5 or 6 years when I order CR123 through the government system we get Panasonics.  They seem to work really well in devices, and they handle sitting around in the supply room for years well. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 09:45:12 AM »
We talked about Amazon's stocking practices here before.  Where they dump all the same batteries into the same stocking bin in their warehouses so when you order, you get batteries from random sources no matter what specific seller you select.

I have ordered from Battery Junction lately and been satisfied with the results.  Not a brand but a better supply house to order from.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 10:09:51 AM »
I have ordered from Battery Junction lately and been satisfied with the results.  Not a brand but a better supply house to order from.
I be ordered from battery junction and been happy. They have a store brand that is good. Titanium label maybe? Also carry all other brands and rechargeables.
My only gripe is they stick you with high shipping unless you hit the $50 free shipping point.
I tend to order stuff just to get to 50 instead of paying $15 for shipping.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 01:06:47 PM »
Additionally, I want to get some rechargeable CR123s. Anyone have a good brand recommendation?

There are no "good" LiOn rechargeable 123's. They only hold about 800mAh or less, probably 700mAh is fair. And any literature that states they hold more is lying, or from tests done under ideal conditions to favor the battery. That size of cell in terms of internal surface area for the Lithium paste/electrolyte and the membrane etc. just doesn't support holding a good charge with LiOn.

In comparison, a disposable CR123A holds about 1500mAh.

If you really want to go rechargeable, you'll need to invest in a light or device that takes two in-line CR123A's but ALSO can take a single 18650 rechargeable battery. Those have had a ton of industry input into their design that optimized them because they were the go-to battery for rechargeable devices like laptops. At least before before flat-pack LiOn's took over for thin cell phones and whatnot, and a super-premium 18650 can exceed 3000mAh.

I promise not to duck.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 08:04:07 PM »
In the last 5 or 6 years when I order CR123 through the government system we get Panasonics.  They seem to work really well in devices, and they handle sitting around in the supply room for years well.

The Air Force loves the lithium CR123s, much to my chagrin since I'm the only one on our base who can ship them. Recently, the warehouse people put a "suspect" flag on the NSN which suspends the receipt until the item can be checked (thankfully, not my job). Apparently, shops have been getting some quantity DOA, so now their charge has to be verified regardless of the manufacture date.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 08:28:18 PM »
I have had excellent performance from the 18650s brand unknown that came with my protac.
My fenix headlamp uses the single size recharge and works ok but it rides in an otter case with some CR123s in case I’m out in the boonies and it isn’t enough.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 10:03:08 AM »
Well, I think I'm gonna do a bulk order of half Surefires and half Panasonics from Battery Junction and monitor the differences. The Panasonics are a bit cheaper than the Surefires. Regarding price, Duracells are $2.25/ea, while Surefires are $1.75/ea and Panasonics are $1.45/ea. I'm curious why the Duracells are so much more expensive.

On the rechargeables, comments noted, and I learned that the device I was looking at running them on (it sucks CR123s like there's no tomorrow) will run off a USB C power bank, so I'm going to get a small one of those that I can velcro on it and give that a try.