Author Topic: Another Off the Wall Use for Shipping Containers  (Read 449 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Another Off the Wall Use for Shipping Containers
« on: October 27, 2021, 11:08:40 AM »
Apparently they are popular with some population subset as swimming pools. I don't get this. It looks more like some of the dive training tanks I have been in than a swimming pool. It seems like a regular above ground pool would be much more practical and inexpensive. You have to find a way to create a shallow end in the conex box, plus get access to it. For swimming laps or even cooling off, the 4-5' of the average doughboy pool is fine. My parents used to have one and other than length, it was fine for swimming laps.

https://news.yahoo.com/demand-high-swimming-pools-made-093041781.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Another Off the Wall Use for Shipping Containers
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 11:13:53 AM »
You could probably create a shallow end by grading it with concrete and then installing a liner.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 11:18:51 AM »
You could probably create a shallow end by grading it with concrete and then installing a liner.

I'm sure they're doing something similar to that, which is why they cost so much.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 11:20:42 AM »
Right now I'm starting to think shipping things in shipping containers is an off the wall use
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 11:21:39 AM »
Right now I'm starting to think shipping things in shipping containers is an off the wall use

:rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 11:34:03 AM »
Up to $60,000?

Oh HELL no!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 12:37:36 PM »
Get an excavator, some pond liner (and whatever else you need), the proper permits and dig an in-ground pool/pond in the shape, depth, and size you want.

Probably would cost less and be more attractive.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 03:24:22 PM »
No need to partially fill in the container - just raise one end and the water will be shallower there.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 03:49:06 PM »
Having seen the containers we use at work for storage sheds, I don't see myself swimming in one. 

After looking at the picture, it looks more like a pool to float in or stand in (drinking beer) rather than a full on swimming pool.  Not all that big.  At least it looks like they coated the inside. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 04:49:13 PM »
Looks like they cut about three feet off the top, welded the doors closed, and then spray coated the inside with some sort of plastic.

You know what also works? Old truck bed, and a China Fright tarp.
Blog under construction