Author Topic: Kerosene or Propane heaters?  (Read 2192 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Kerosene or Propane heaters?
« on: October 27, 2021, 01:13:48 PM »
I'm considering supplementing my electric zone system in January/February...

No, I'm not getting the gas turned back on - the bastards were charging me $30/month even when I had everything turned off (when I was driving over the road) just to have it available.

Last year, my heating bill with just electric was about $300 over "baseline" use.

But I would like to have something to punch things up a little on those days that are under 20 degrees and windy.

Any recommendations? I've got a kerosene heater running diesel in the workshop. The diesel makes it a bit of a hassle, but not all that bad.

Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Kerosene or Propane heaters?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 01:18:22 PM »
"No, I'm not getting the gas turned back on - the bastards were charging me $30/month even when I had everything turned off (when I was driving over the road) just to have it available."

Better turn your electric off, too. They do the same thing.

For incidental use, though, I'd really consider propane, something like a Big Buddy heater. You can get a fairly long hose and regulator that will allow you to run it from a bulk tank outside.

You can get a 40-pound cylinder at Lowes for a little over $100.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 02:10:51 PM »
I actually use electricity.

Nine months of the year, no gas.

My heating bill for the three really cold months runs about $100/month over months like October, when I'm not using either heating or cooling.

I've considered trying to rig some sort of passive solar, but not sure how many weeks/year that would buy me.

A wood stove crossed my mind - I heated with one in the early 1980s for a few  years. But the installation would be a hassle.

I'm also poor. And cheap.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 02:16:18 PM »
These are still fairly cheap.

Just open a window.

Or two.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 02:19:57 PM »
I have considered a barrel stove, with a waste oil burner, for the workshop. I have a source for waste oil, so after the initial cash, it would basically be free heat for the 400 square foot garage.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 02:20:18 PM »
I have both kerosene and propane. I have a kerosene torpedo heater for the shop and one of the "indoor safe" kerosene heaters for emergency use, either in the house or in the well house. While both the kerosene heaters work well, I have to say after using them for 2+ years that were I to do it over again, I would make them propane.

With kerosene, you have to deal with wick maintenance, not leave kerosene sitting in them out of season, etc. It's just a bit of a hassle compared to propane. Obviously use an indoor safe propane heater indoors with proper ventilation, but it just seems easier all the way around to me.

That said, I probably won't get rid of the kerosene heaters since I already have them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 02:23:24 PM »
Why not just a couple of inexpensive electric space heaters? Depending on which model you chose, you could easily add 6000-7500 watts of heat (20-25 KBTU) for less than a C-note. Easy, cheap, and no fuel to futz with or carbon monoxide issues to consider. Only consideration is making sure you keep them plugged into separate circuits.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 02:39:48 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 02:35:11 PM »
I have a Big Buddy Heater (4000-18000 BTU) and a Mr. Heater Cooker/Heater (15000 BTU) that I use in the deer blind, ice shack and in the garage.

I can get about 20 hours of run time on either heater on medium (~9000 BTU) with #11 propane bottle (double with 20# bottle). I have an 11# bottle so I can carry it around easier. I have 3-20# bottles also that I normally keep 2 full and one on the grill. I just have them refilled at Tractor Supply since it's quick and 4 blocks from my house. If I have a 20# go out of date (TSC checks before filling), I exchange it with a Blue Rhino at a gas station or Menards.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 02:37:57 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 02:49:20 PM »
I have a 20K ventless propane heater on the wall here for when it gets chilly but not cold enough to fire up the wood stove. I've been running off a 20# bottle that sits in the corner for years. I've been thinking about hooking to a 100# outside but i'm kinda lazy.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 03:48:16 PM »
You're also going to be paying $2-3 a gallon for propane or more this winter.

Might be cheaper to have the gas turned back on.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 03:54:14 PM »
You're also going to be paying $2-3 a gallon for propane or more this winter.

Might be cheaper to have the gas turned back on.

Yeah, I only use bottled propane or kerosene for limited heating. I don't know that either of them would save any money as a constant Winter heating source over just getting the piped gas turned back on.

The $30/mo sounds like a ripoff though. I was paying the bills on my dad's empty house in CA before it sold, and the gas bill, even in CA, for having service but not using any appliances outside of the pilot lights was $6/mo.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 04:05:24 PM »
I had a kerosene heater for a while.  I found that kerosene was much cheaper if you could find somewhere that has it at the pump.

I found three gas stations in the KC metro that had it at the pump.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 04:08:33 PM »
Yeah, I only use bottled propane or kerosene for limited heating. I don't know that either of them would save any money as a constant Winter heating source over just getting the piped gas turned back on.

The $30/mo sounds like a ripoff though. I was paying the bills on my dad's empty house in CA before it sold, and the gas bill, even in CA, for having service but not using any appliances outside of the pilot lights was $6/mo.

Alliant Energy in Iowa is $13/month for Natural Gas and $13/month for Electricity, so I pay $26 month just to have energy available to my house. I know those prices (and rate) have to be approved by the State Energy Board (or whatever it is called.)

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 04:58:07 PM »
I had a kerosene heater for a while.  I found that kerosene was much cheaper if you could find somewhere that has it at the pump.

I found three gas stations in the KC metro that had it at the pump.

Yeah, WAY cheaper. There's very few out this way, but one happens to be around 45 minutes away, near other businesses I frequent, so it' and easy mixed trip. When I got my first kerosene heater, I bought the 5gal can of kerosene at the farm store. I seem to recall it was $40ish. That was the first and last time I did that.  :laugh:

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 05:29:13 PM »
Meter fee around these parts runs $20-30 month, depending on area and service.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 05:52:45 PM »
When I was a kid we used two of those big 23K BTU units to help supplement the steam radiators in our big barn of an uninsulated Victorian.

Over time, they left a greasy film on the windows and walls, probably from being started or extinguished inside.

I was, for awhile, seriously considering getting a small 10K BTU one (round one, not one of the square radiant units) to supplement my heat pump, but I always held off because of the experience of using them as a kid.

I finally sprang for the pellet stove. Best thing I ever did.

If you have the money up front, you can get a decent pellet stove like my Castle Serenity for $900 to $1k on sale. Figure another couple hundred for the pad, exhaust venting, and installation (if you don't install it yourself) and between $4 and $6 for a 40 lb bag of pellets.

Depending on how much you pay for heating in the winter with resistance electric, you might be able to get your money back in just a couple of years, and you'll be a lot warmer is my guess.

You can set the electric to basically freeze protection level (I keep my heat pump at 60 in the winter and it only runs when I'm on vacation at T-giving and Christmas) and run the stove when you need it.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2021, 06:36:19 PM »
Okay, master of the wheelgun...

NO CHIMNEY?

How the heck does that work?
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2021, 06:46:36 PM »
Pellet stoves vent directly through the wall using a double-walled pipe, normally 3 or 4 inches in diameter.

Because pellet stoves extract so much heat, the exhaust is normally in the 120-degree F range and thus don't require a masonry or equivalent metal chimney.

This shows one typical way of venting a pellet stove. A 3" pellet stove vent kit generally costs between $200 and $300.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2021, 06:52:15 PM »
Okay - I think I'm sold, but that'll probably be next year.

Just saw this, and I think it, or something similar, could be interesting for the workshop. I had a name brand one in the truck, and it worked pretty good, at least until the secondary battery would run out...

https://youtu.be/faz8RtV9t68
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2021, 07:02:45 PM »
You can generally get some pretty good deals on pellet stoves at the end of the heating season. Ace Hardware will have sales on stoves throughout the year, though. That's where I got my Castle Serenity.

The biggest hassle for me is finding where to store the pellets. Right now I have them racked in my dining room as there's no easy way for me to get them to my back yard.

This year I had a friend help me. I made two trips and got 40 bags which, given forecasts for this winter, should last me for the winter.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2021, 07:12:13 PM »
It does seem a bit oversized... The house is a whopping 765 square feet. Basically three rooms. The center doesn't really lend itself to installing it, so probably the front room, since I don't think I'd be happy with it in the bedroom.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2021, 07:23:45 PM »
There are some smaller capacity pellet stoves available on the market, but I don't know much about them. My townhouse is about 1500 square feet, and my Castle does a very good job of keeping it comfortable (first and second floors, basement I don't worry about).

But, I've not really had to test it as the last two winters have been kind of warm.

One thing I didn't mention is that you can also often find used pellet stoves for sale for significantly less than what a new one would cost.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2021, 07:43:36 PM »
Can you turn it off? With my wood stove, I'd just choke it down...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2021, 07:53:10 PM »
pellet stoves are less like wood stoves and more like electric heaters.

You can easily ramp them up or down or turn them off or on with the flip of a switch.

Mine is programmable in that I can set it to come on at 4 a.m., an hour before I get up, and it shuts down automatically at 6 a.m. when I'm heading out the door for work.

The ignition cycle, from turning it on to actually getting heat out of it, takes around 7 minutes, IIRC.

When I shut it down it goes through an automatic shutdown and cool down process that takes roughly 20 or so minutes.

After that shutdown period I can turn it back on and get heat in 7 minutes.

Some of the higher end stoves are fully thermostatic programable in that the thermostat will fire them and shut them down just like a home furnace.