Author Topic: To infinity and …  (Read 1569 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
To infinity and …
« on: October 27, 2021, 01:27:42 PM »
The Lightyear teaser trailer is out and it's looking good.

This came out of nowhere, to me at least. I had no idea they were doing this.

Lightyear | Teaser Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwPL0Md_QFQ
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: To infinity and …
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 02:19:05 PM »
"I finally understand who Jeff Bezos is trying to be..."
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 02:40:20 PM »
"I finally understand who Jeff Bezos is trying to be..."

And failing
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 11:36:22 AM »
Official trailer is out and we have Zurg!

Lightyear | Official Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwZs3H_UN3k
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 12:06:03 PM »
Looks like fun.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 10:58:46 AM »
Apparently a few feathers are being ruffled over a same sex kiss that appears in the movie. Someone posted a clip on YT and IMHO while disappointing they decided to include that in the movie it's nothing to get all foaming at the mouth over.

Actually the wording here bugs me more

Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have banned Lightyear over a same-sex kiss between Hawthorne (Uzo Aduba) and another female character, her onscreen partner. Inclusion of the scene has instigated a collective anger at the film, albeit for a variety of different reasons: according to UAE’s Media Regulatory Office, Lightyear was in “violation of the country’s media content standards.” Conservatives, meanwhile, seem to be fearful that they and their children are becoming “indoctrinated” to view LGBTQ+ characters (much less real people) with compassion and humanity and view the scene as Pixar’s capitulation to leftist Hollywood propaganda. In more progressive circles, the kiss doesn’t go far enough; it’s seen as a pandering, token gesture that fails to lend substance or real dimensionality to the studio’s first same-sex relationship.
Disney’s ‘Lightyear’ fails to launch
https://twitchy.com/amy-313134/2022/06/21/disneys-lightyear-fails-to-launch/

Now in my opinion most conservatives have zero issue with viewing " LGBTQ+ characters (much less real people) with compassion and humanity"
This is another example of how the left wants to paint the right  as uncaring simply because they're sick and tired of having this stuff shoved into their faces 24/7
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 11:11:52 AM »
It doesn't really matter if the kiss content is something to worry about, they want parents to spend money taking their kids to see the movie and if there is a negative aspect to it, they will find something else to spend their money on.  They likely knew it would cause a stir when they included it in the movie and did it anyway.  Making money doesn't seem to be Disney's prime motive right now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 11:21:30 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW6WxSL9olQ
Odin does a box office break down.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 11:24:37 AM »
it's nothing to get all foaming at the mouth over.

I'm sorry, but that's just not how things work anymore.
We not only need something to be angry about, we need something new every day.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 11:46:50 AM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 01:26:49 PM »
Some of you guys still think it's 1992. Take a look around.

Pixar is owned by Disney, which has admitted they use their films to indoctrinate children with a hard-left view of sexuality. If the same-sex kiss doesn't get you foaming-at-the-mouth angry, then you are wrong. Not caring about such things is how we got to the point where teachers are plotting to transition minors, while concealing it from the parents; and our government is trying to force left-wing views on sex onto government employees.

Not caring doesn't bring peace and tolerance. It brings destruction and totalitarianism.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 02:36:57 PM »
Are they still toys in this movie?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 02:38:37 PM »
Are they still toys in this movie?

No, this is supposed to be the "real" Buzz Lightyear that the toy was based on.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2022, 02:47:22 PM »
In a kid's movie.  A kid's movie. :facepalm:

Sickos.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2022, 03:25:22 PM »
I think that we as a society could draw a line separating depictions of consenting, same sex adults, and embracing surgical transitions of minors.

I know a lot of people, Disney often included, don't, but we could and should.  Two adult women kissing is not any more intrinsically immoral then an adult man and women kissing. I checked the Disney Wiki, and Woody and Bo Peep kissed in the first movie, back in the benighted 90's. So there's at least precedent in the franchise.  I'm not sure where possessed, enslaved toys fornicating falls on the spectrum from Apple Dumpling Gang to forced 6th grade transitions.

YMM, of course, V, but I will posit this:  If the "Culture War" is as hot and earnest as many seem to believe, I don't think maintaining that adult, consensual homosexuality is immoral is a winnable position anymore.  That view through the Overton Window has slipped by.  I think the sexualization of children's media in general, hetero- and homo- is more of an issue, but I don't think adult kissing is overly sexual for kids.  Hell Empire Strikes Back had an incestous kiss, and it was a kids movie.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2022, 03:56:58 PM »
Hell Empire Strikes Back had an incestous kiss, and it was a kids movie.

But, is it still immoral if the participants don't know they are related?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2022, 04:16:57 PM »

Pixar is owned by Disney, which has admitted they use their films to indoctrinate children with a hard-left view of sexuality. If the same-sex kiss doesn't get you foaming-at-the-mouth angry, then you are wrong. Not caring about such things is how we got to the point where teachers are plotting to transition minors, while concealing it from the parents; and our government is trying to force left-wing views on sex onto government employees.

Not caring doesn't bring peace and tolerance. It brings destruction and totalitarianism.
I agree with this.  Disney didn't just forget that was there.  It was deliberately added more than likely. 

And I am not all that upset by it.  I tend to expect that stuff from Disney and Hollywood in general.  However, I won't be spending any money with Disney.  I think that is how many parents view it.  They can't change it, but they can spend money elsewhere. 

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2022, 04:32:30 PM »
I agree with this.  Disney didn't just forget that was there.  It was deliberately added more than likely. 
I think you can be a little more certain than "more than likely".  It's animated so it absolutely required intent. 

Plus they intentionally removed it for markets with cultures that they respect.

And I am not all that upset by it.  I tend to expect that stuff from Disney and Hollywood in general.  However, I won't be spending any money with Disney.  I think that is how many parents view it.  They can't change it, but they can spend money elsewhere.
Agreed.  A lesbian kiss doesn't bother me.  My daughter was friends with a girl who had two moms - it's not like she's unaware that it exists.  However, I also recognize that it is a minor example of an intentional effort to normalize homosexuality among the children that make up their audience.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2022, 05:56:55 PM »

QFT
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2022, 10:27:05 PM »
Here's the thing - even if there is next to zero "right wing indignation," the press releases about that will still go out, and will still be presented by the usual outlets.

Because that is how it must be.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2022, 09:23:12 AM »
Here's the thing - even if there is next to zero "right wing indignation," the press releases about that will still go out, and will still be presented by the usual outlets.

Because that is how it must be.
They do their best to stir up that indignation.  They had Chris Evans go out and say anyone who didn't like the kiss was a dinosaur. 
https://youtu.be/YjtcdaXop6E?t=754

They did something similar with the Star Wars Kenobi series.  The black actress who played the Reva character went out before the series aired and talked about how Disney management warned her for the racist Star Wars fans.  This was before the show aired.  Which is really stupid as Star Wars fans have never had any issue with black characters as far as I know. 

Disney Lucasfilm Unironically Warned Obi-Wan Kenobi Star Moses Ingram About "Racist" Star Wars Fans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YAZtRGMszI

So I wonder if someone at Disney believes any publicity is good publicity and thinks stirring things up will increase ratings.  I think it just turns off potential viewers and makes them think creating a good story is a lower priority for Disney than all the politically correct nonsense. 

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2022, 10:15:47 AM »
Folks - there are a LOT of people who live on the coasts who think that everything between is essentially the fictional town from Footloose. Coupled with an adult version of Children of the Corn... With lynchings daily. And that colors their every action.
Blog under construction

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2022, 11:42:19 AM »
"To Woke and beyond!" should be the new catch phrase for this movie series.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2022, 01:42:14 PM »
They did something similar with the Star Wars Kenobi series.  The black actress who played the Reva character went out before the series aired and talked about how Disney management warned her for the racist Star Wars fans. 

They should have warned the fans about how awful the show is.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama