Author Topic: An Anti-Gun Propaganda Example  (Read 765 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
An Anti-Gun Propaganda Example
« on: November 09, 2021, 08:17:40 AM »
I found this recent Idaho story interesting from the propaganda standpoint. Some dumbass "March for Life" kids in Boise are "drafting legislation to prevent minors from legally buying firearms without training". Of course minors can't legally buy firearms regardless of training.

The story in the first link eventually gets to the fact that the 12 year old "buying a gun" is actually going to the store with their parents, who are buying their gun for them. In the second link (and others) the AP picked up the story and wrote it in such a way that you would think a 10 year old is walking into the gun store and slapping cash on the counter to walk out with his blaster.

While the first story is itself filled with all kinds of inaccuracies, the chopped up second story was, I thought, a good example of MSM story manipulation.

Additionally, the first story went into a whole fantasy land regarding concealed carry permits, without ever mentioning that they aren't even needed here. Also, I would have to doublecheck if things have changed, but when I got my CCW, I had to show evidence of in-person training. Idaho, at least at that time, was not accepting online training. You could do something as simple as a hunter safety course, but that is in-person.

Anyway, hurray for the unbiased MSM.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/education/article255146877.html

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/local/capitol-watch/idaho-students-pursue-licensing-for-minors-to-use-firearms/277-ca93109b-5726-4cb0-b2d5-b0a1b6d1e662
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: An Anti-Gun Propaganda Example
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 09:10:49 AM »
I was thinking of the scene from The Shootist with the newspaper man who wasn't all that interested in the truth.  Nothing new.

This isn't that scene, but a good one anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR2UZdvLNf4
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 10:43:06 AM »
I found this recent Idaho story interesting from the propaganda standpoint. Some dumbass "March for Life" kids in Boise are "drafting legislation to prevent minors from legally buying firearms without training". Of course minors can't legally buy firearms regardless of training.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/education/article255146877.html

From the link:

“The first thing we should be thinking about when we walk into school and when we walk into a classroom is not, ‘Oh, am I going to die today?’ ” Stevens told the Idaho Statesman. “It should be, ‘What am I going to learn?’ ”

When I went through grammar and high school back in the dark ages, we had regular fire drills, and we also had drills in which we hid under our desks -- because that's what we were supposed to do if the Rooshans dropped a nuke on us.

Miraculously, I never allowed those drills to cause me to wonder each morning, "Oh, am I going to die today?" I'm pretty certain none of my classmates ever had those concerns, either. If they did, they never mentioned them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 11:06:44 AM »
From the link:

When I went through grammar and high school back in the dark ages, we had regular fire drills, and we also had drills in which we hid under our desks -- because that's what we were supposed to do if the Rooshans dropped a nuke on us.

“The first thing we should be thinking about when we walk into school and when we walk into a classroom is not, ‘Oh, am I going to die today?’ ” Stevens told the Idaho Statesman. “It should be, ‘What am I going to learn?’ ”

Mostly my thoughts were to avoid getting beaten up.  Which is on the spectrum of anticipation of possible harm.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 11:22:13 AM »
“You can be 12, and go down to your Walmart as long as your parent is with you, and buy a deadly weapon that you don’t have adequate safety training with, and operate it legally,” she said.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/education/article255146877.html#storylink=cpy

This is a lie.  Walmart is an FFL and a 12 year old can not buy a firearm from them.

Of course, we knew that.  But when even Ben's "better" article has outright fabrications in it, unchallenged, the chopped up version descends into fantasy.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 01:35:23 PM »
This is a lie.  Walmart is an FFL and a 12 year old can not buy a firearm from them.

Unless Walmart is holding a gun show at the time...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 06:40:12 PM »
Great.  Now take all your counterpoints and pro-gun arguments and try to inject them into the mainstream information flow.

Go ahead.

I'll wait.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 10:57:33 PM »
From the link:

Miraculously, I never allowed those drills to cause me to wonder each morning, "Oh, am I going to die today?" I'm pretty certain none of my classmates ever had those concerns, either. If they did, they never mentioned them.
For the air raid drills, we marched from the classroom to the basement and sat on the floor. We were forbidden from talking - I guess the idiot nuns thought the Russkies would hear us and target their nukes that way. We had them every Tuesday morning at 10:30 because that's when the city tested the air raid sirens.

Nonetheless, we enjoyed those drills - as we enjoyed ANYthing which got us a brief reprieve from the classroom.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 09:07:45 AM »
For the air raid drills, we marched from the classroom to the basement and sat on the floor. We were forbidden from talking - I guess the idiot nuns thought the Russkies would hear us and target their nukes that way. We had them every Tuesday morning at 10:30 because that's when the city tested the air raid sirens.

Nonetheless, we enjoyed those drills - as we enjoyed ANYthing which got us a brief reprieve from the classroom.
I think the "be quiet" was automatic for authority figures back in the day.  My Mom used the "children should be seen and not heard" line on us a lot.  When I was little, I remember my brother and I could do quite a bit as long as we did it quietly and didn't break anything. 

Seeing some parents let their kids run around screaming in public still bugs the hell out of me. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 12:06:40 PM »
HankB observed:

"For the air raid drills, we marched from the classroom to the basement and sat on the floor. We were forbidden from talking - I guess the idiot nuns thought the Russkies would hear us and target their nukes that way."

More likely the Nuns were preventing fear-laden child-chatter from spreading and developing into panic.  Also so that orders could be heard immediately.  Just my take on it.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 09:32:38 PM »
I am guessing the nuns wanted a little peace and quiet during the day for once.  =D

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 09:51:37 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes