Author Topic: Those Racist Roadways...  (Read 1682 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Those Racist Roadways...
« on: November 08, 2021, 02:33:17 PM »
Joe Concha
@JoeConchaTV
April Ryan to Pete Buttigieg: “Secretary Mayor Pete (laughs)… Can you give us the construct on how you will deconstruct the racism that was built into the roadways?”
11:20 AM · Nov 8, 2021 from Wyckoff, NJ·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2021/11/08/april-ryan-gets-an-answer-from-pete-buttigieg-on-how-infrastructure-bill-will-deconstruct-racism-built-into-the-roadways/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Those Racist Roadways...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 03:56:38 PM »
Well I mean we modeled our interstates after hitlers roads....

Just forgot to add that pinch of kraut efficiency.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 04:08:18 PM »
There seems to be real evidence that when planning where exactly those interstates were going to go they were always routed through the poorer, and in many cases blacker, parts of cities.  NIMBY was a thing in 1956, too.

Parts of cities near interstates often remain the crappier parts of town, because who wants to live near an interstate?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 04:24:51 PM »
If you are going east/west (or the other way) through St. Louis, take I-64 rather than I-70. Trust me.
Blog under construction

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2021, 04:30:36 PM »
If you are going east/west (or the other way) through St. Louis, take I-64 rather than I-70. Trust me.

I think I always bypass on I-270 around the north side of St. Louis.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 04:34:36 PM »

I'm not going anywhere near St. Louis, but point made.  It's become a cultural touchstone that you don't get off an interstate in a city you don't know.

Does that mean it is/was racist?  There was probably some conscious planning back in the 50's to put the roads in away from rich people.  And of course right-of ways are cheaper in the ghettos.  There's pretty decent studies (not just stupid woke ones) that interstates fragment the communities they are built through, and they were built through a lot of historically minority communities.  So it's not necessarily a bad thing to keep that in mind and not *expletive deleted*ck over the poor people again as we spend money to upgrade and build more big roads.

That said, Secretary Pete TM is probably just going to buy a bunch of electric busses to shlep the poor into work, paint a couple monorails rainbow colors, and stock AMTRAK dining cars with Merlots from sustainable, minority owned vineyards.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2021, 04:35:43 PM »
Parts of cities near interstates often remain the crappier parts of town, because who wants to live near an interstate?

Tell that to a good portion of coastal CA I guess, where $1 million homes sit 100 yards from the railroad tracks and 200 yards from the 101. Plenty of push/pull factors negate location=racism. There are plenty of white people in crappier parts of town as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2021, 04:44:50 PM »
You say that like $1mil is an expensive home in Costal CA.   =D[shrug]  Beach trumps traffic I guess.  I have often wondered about the folks that buy the houses on the PCH in Santa Monica, where you have to back your Ferrari into traffic to clear your driveway.

I would say my point stands in most cities though.  LA near the 405 is not a great neighborhood.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 04:49:18 PM »

Not at rush hour. 

Otherwise, yeah, 64/40 goes through much safer neighborhoods than 70 or 270. Not sure you're any safer on 270.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 04:56:30 PM »
There seems to be real evidence that when planning where exactly those interstates were going to go they were always routed through the poorer, and in many cases blacker, parts of cities.  NIMBY was a thing in 1956, too.

Does this mean we will also be discussing the racist National Park system? Oh, wait, nevermind.  Those poor displaced people were white, ergo all the privilege... 
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 05:10:59 PM »
I-270 around the north side is NOT good... People get shot on it.

ON it.
Blog under construction

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 05:53:45 PM »
That said, Secretary Pete TM is probably just going to buy a bunch of electric busses to shlep the poor into work, paint a couple monorails rainbow colors, and stock AMTRAK dining cars with Merlots from sustainable, minority owned vineyards.

That is the best description I've ever heard of a woke action plan that makes the right people feel good because they "did something".
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2021, 05:56:28 PM »
That damn racist blacktop.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2021, 06:01:45 PM »
I would say my point stands in most cities though.  LA near the 405 is not a great neighborhood.

Sure, lots of places freeway proximity=bad neighborhood. Then in some places, when land to build becomes scarce, that no longer applies. Again, the push/pull factors.

My concern is with every damn thing being racist, and knowing that when April Ryan is talking, she only means "black". My general attitude now is that when someone says "racism" I say, "shut the *expletive deleted*ck up".  It's getting to be like Uncle Leo on Seinfeld, where everything is anti-Semitism.

https://youtu.be/TYZBKqemQrU

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 06:16:00 PM »
There are plenty of white people in crappier parts of town as well.

That's true. Somehow it's not racist to think black=poor and poor=black, according to the woke cadre.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2021, 06:33:23 PM »
It isn't an interstate, but Houston has HW 610 which runs a circle around the center of Houston.  Then Beltway 8 does another ring several miles further out.  Now they are building HW 99 which is a further ring road through the suburbs.  I guess the entire city is a poorer neighborhood and racist.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2021, 07:20:02 PM »
Heading to Fulton from Ohio Thursday and taking I-70 most of the way.  Should I duck lower down in my seat when I’m on I-270? 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 07:32:49 PM »
I-270 around the north side is NOT good... People get shot on it.

ON it.

But the deaths are counted as due to the 'Rona, at the behest of Big Blacktop.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2021, 07:54:07 PM »

Now ya tell me.  Back in the late '70s  :old: , we were driving from Columbus to the Western states.  About 1 or 2 a.m., we got off the freeway to look for a gas station and a snack... in East Saint Louis.  Didn't stop anywhere, including at most traffic lights, and it seemed to take forever to find a ramp back onto the freeway from the surface streets.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2021, 08:25:48 PM »
Back in the mid 70's my neighbor friend and I drove from W. Michigan to Detroit to go to a Pistons basketball game.  Headed back home after the game we were in The Ditch (West bound Jeffries Freeway-I-96) still in Detroit when we got involved in a rather large multi-car accident.  The car was basically destroyed but we were able to drive it off the freeway into a gas station to wait for a wrecker and a friend to pick us up.  We had a couple cases of beer in the car and we gave them to the gas station operator who got a couple of his friends to body guard us till our friend from Plymouth got there to take us to his house.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2021, 10:16:58 PM »
My general attitude now is that when someone says "racism" I say, "shut the *expletive deleted*ck up". 

You're behind the times. That was a good reaction during Obama's first term. By his second term, anti-white racism was just starting to hit the big time, with BLM. Then 2020 happened.  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2021, 07:27:12 AM »
Well I mean we modeled our interstates after hitlers roads....

Just forgot to add that pinch of kraut efficiency.

No, not really.

The concept for controlled access high speed highways was something that had been proposed by a number of different individuals as far back as the early 1900s.

The Long Island Motor Parkway, a privately built road that opened in 1908, was the first of what could be considered to be a "modern" highway. It had limited access points (which differ from an interstate's controlled access points), modern-style roadbed construction, banked turns, planned drainage, and guide rails. The later Bronx River Parkway, which opened in the late 1920s, was the first US road built to use divided median construction.

The Autobahn's first stretch opened in 1913, and in the 1920s Italy opened the first median-divided highway (but it was only 1 lane in each direction). When Hitler came to power in the 1930s he engaged in many public works projects, including expansion of the Autobahn system.

The first controlled access high speed road in the United States that would provide a large part of the pattern for what would become the interstate system was the Pennsylvania Turnpike, which opened the first section between Carlisle and Irwin in October 1940.

By 1940 the concept of a high speed interstate highway system was already firmly rooted in the minds of many people in the United States (and had been for a long time) and it was being pushed hard by men like Thomas MacDonald and Herbert Fairbank. In many ways those two men were more responsible for the creation of the Interstate system than Eisenhower.

There's no doubt that the Autobahn did influence people like Eisenhower and Gen. Lucius Clay (whose helped formulate Eisenhower's proposal that would become the Interstate Highways bill in the 1950s) as well as many, many others who were responsible for designing and building the system, but so did a LOT of other roads around the world.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2021, 07:49:43 AM »

Not just real evidence, but established fact.

Robert Moses, who was responsible for greatly expanding the parkway system of roads in the New York City area, had his designers plan roads primarily through black neighborhoods.

Many of the early interstates in the 1950s were planned so that they would go through primarily black neighborhoods.

The motivating factor?

Black neighborhoods, even well established, stable, and thriving communities, were perceived to be slums and could be easily taken by eminent domain. Another driving factor was, because the residents were black, the land was much cheaper. Black communities didn't have the social, political, or economic power to contest many of these moves by state governments.

It wasn't until the late 1950s/early 1960s that Rosedale, a black community in the Baltimore suburbs, was able to successfully fight the proposed route of an interstate to Baltimore's inner harbor, but it required them to join forces with a number of white led groups who also were opposed to the plan.

The original plans for the interstates around Washington, DC, would have included as many as 3 beltways one of which would have been located so as to eradicate black communities wholesale.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2021, 05:33:47 PM »
Now ya tell me.  Back in the late '70s  :old: , we were driving from Columbus to the Western states.  About 1 or 2 a.m., we got off the freeway to look for a gas station and a snack... in East Saint Louis.  Didn't stop anywhere, including at most traffic lights, and it seemed to take forever to find a ramp back onto the freeway from the surface streets.

It still does !!
Only now, there isn't any place to get any "goodies" without risking everything, even in the daytime.
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2021, 05:37:41 PM »

https://youtu.be/Ip11Dk8tCBI
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!