Author Topic: 1500 Miles in a Surplus Humvee  (Read 484 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
1500 Miles in a Surplus Humvee
« on: November 14, 2021, 09:25:57 PM »
For a while, a ways back, I had it in my mind that a really cool adventure would be picking up a surplus RKLmobile, HMMWV, Growler, or similar vehicle out of state and then driving it home on the backroads, camping out and stuff along the way. I never did it, and watching this guy, it probably worked out for the best.  :laugh:

It's a two part video of this youtuber picking up an HMMWV in California and driving it back to Kansas. He adds/makes a few problems just for showmanship I guess, but still, the road trip doesn't look to be as much fun as I thought it would be. If I were to do this now, a military surplus place is 30 minutes up the road from me, and that now sounds like a long enough trip.  =D

https://youtu.be/gvWZgD5w8iw
https://youtu.be/te0LrPCz1h4
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
Re: 1500 Miles in a Surplus Humvee
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 09:31:13 PM »
Hope that guy is 5'9" or he's going to hate life in a short amount of time.

Those things are lots of fun if you're not paying to maintain them, and are of average height. 

"I found one that was the MARINE CORPS's humvee!"   Do you not understand how we run *expletive deleted*it?  lol
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 09:36:09 PM »
I spent way to much time in HMMWV, including a 1000 mile round trip to Texas, for the flood.

No way, will i ever own a HMMWV, or volunteer to ride in one.   

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 09:36:40 PM »
There is an entire culture made up of guys scrounging replacement parts.
Blog under construction

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 09:43:47 PM »
Why?  Can’t they just go to their local auto parts shop and pick up whatever milsurp parts they need?

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 10:14:55 PM »
I spent way to much time in HMMWV, including a 1000 mile round trip to Texas, for the flood.

No way, will i ever own a HMMWV, or volunteer to ride in one.

That fat bastard isn't wearing armor either.  EVERYONE knows it's not safe to drive the stupid thing without flak and kevlar...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 11:34:40 PM »
I don't honestly think I would survive a 1500 mile trip in my M715. :O
I think the farthest I've actually driven it in one trip is maybe 20 miles one way and I regretted not having hearing protection long before I got to my destination. "Comfortable" cruising speed for me is between 40-45 Mph.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 07:21:36 AM »
I don't honestly think I would survive a 1500 mile trip in my M715. :O
I think the farthest I've actually driven it in one trip is maybe 20 miles one way and I regretted not having hearing protection long before I got to my destination. "Comfortable" cruising speed for me is between 40-45 Mph.

We had a 5/4 CUCV at work for a while, and of course I liked driving it around town because [makes Tim Allen noises], but yeah, that sucker was LOUD. Also it had a suspension designed for a bajillion ton payload, so if you hit any pothole when it was empty, you were jumping around the road like you were on a trampoline.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 10:10:58 AM »
I believe it.

I've read that suspension & drivetrain parts are hard to find and hideously expensive when they do turn up, and someone experienced with diesel engines (I think it was someone on this forum) wrote a while back that the designers of the Humvee's diesel made nearly every wrong decision possible.

But until reading this thread, I didn't know that the H1 was designed for short people. (When I was shopping for a new SUV back in 2006 I sat in a civilian H3 and thought it had plenty of room, but didn't buy it because of other design issues I didn't like.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain