Author Topic: Card Skimmers at Costco  (Read 893 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Card Skimmers at Costco
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2021, 04:27:28 PM »
It doesn't matter.  For your car, for the battery state in your FOB, for interfering obstacles, the range found is for those conditions.

<JOKE>

I for one am sick of seeing Amateur Radio Service spectrum being gobbled up for the sake of lazy schnooks who are too lazy to walk up to a car, stick a key in it, and turn it.  I mean, hell, you're walking toward the car anyhow.

</JOKE>

In addition, I needed two extra keys for my venerable old car, walked into the dealer, showed them the registration, and they cut two keys for me for USD$8.00 American Money per key.

That was 'murrikin money, mind you.

And the batteries in those keys never run down for some very sophisticated technical reasons.

And if the car battery goes dead, I can still get in the car, also for some very sophisticated technical reasons.

:rofl:

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2021, 09:16:10 AM »
I've seen those, too. But, if the cards generate a one-time code each time its used, I'd think those types of skimmers would be useless because you'd only get that code, and that code along, and once it's generated it's not valid again.

Yeah the chip cards do generate unique codes for each transaction making it harder to steal the info. However, the chips are passive and only powered when in a terminal. So it's still kind of limited. But it's much better than magstripe.

I think eventually to prevent fraud, cards will have to be powered by a watch battery and generate random codes on the card constantly every few minutes.

If you've ever needed a keyfob token with a little LCD screen on it for random numbers that are always changing for remote sign-in for work (mostly replaced by apps on your smartphone now) you know the idea, but it'll be compressed down to something credit card sized. Or, it'll just be on your smartphone. Which is already there because the tap-to-pay often supports Apple, Google, or Samsung/Android wallet.
I promise not to duck.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2021, 09:24:07 AM »
I guess people can't be bothered to use PINs. You may be able to scan the card number and whatnot but you would still need the PIN to use it
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2021, 09:46:50 AM »
"If you've ever needed a keyfob token with a little LCD screen on it for random numbers that are always changing for remote sign-in for work (mostly replaced by apps on your smartphone now) you know the idea..."

I have one around my neck on my work lanyard right now.

My current employer doesn't require it to be used when signing into systems on site, but if I try to sign in to my office apps from home on my work computer, then I need it.

I've never used it, actually.

Previous job I had to use the RSA (maker) token to sign in every day.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2021, 09:47:35 AM »
"I guess people can't be bothered to use PINs. You may be able to scan the card number and whatnot but you would still need the PIN to use it"

For whatever reason, virtually no credit cards are set up to require a pin for usage.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.