Author Topic: Damn, I Agree with Greta  (Read 1564 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Damn, I Agree with Greta
« on: November 14, 2021, 08:09:04 AM »
Greta says that COP26 was "blah, blah, blah". I have to agree:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/almost-200-countries-join-climate-deal-kerry-india

Once again, two of the biggest polluters on the planet get a break and the rest of us have to pay. It goes back to what we're discussing elsewhere: Places like China, Russia, and India are all looking out for themselves and strengthening their countries, while the US, EU, and others are all looking for ways to weaken themselves for "social justice".

I really miss the Donald Trump admin, where he made it clear that the US was #1, and other countries came after, with the caveat that he totally understood that as they should, other countries looked at themselves as #1, without worrying about what the US and others thought.

Under Biden, the US has a "kick me" sign on our ass in the international community.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Damn, I Agree with Greta
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 08:37:15 AM »
I think I wrote this before, but . . . suppose we had a true brainwashed* Manchurian Candidate in the White House, and he'd been given orders by his masters in Beijing to do whatever he could within the limits of his executive power to diminish the USA . . . what would he be doing differently than what Biden has been doing since he took office?

Nothing

Seriously, people, I don't want to put on my tinfoil conspiracy hat [tinfoil] but if Sleepy Joe was using a coin flip every time he had to make a decision as POTUS, he'd be doing better than he has been up to now - NOBODY could be that wrong that often if there wasn't something malicious going on behind the scenes.

* - It doesn't have to be actual brainwashing - properly applied bribery and blackmail also work.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 09:44:27 AM »
If a country thinks global warming is an existential threat and is not doing a race to the moon level national project to build nuclear plants then they are liars. I will not talk enviro issues with someone that doesn't support nuclear, they are liars.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 10:22:09 AM »
If a country thinks global warming is an existential threat and is not doing a race to the moon level national project to build nuclear plants then they are liars. I will not talk enviro issues with someone that doesn't support nuclear, they are liars.

Now "liar" may be a little harsh and judgmental. It could very well be that they are just a *expletive deleted*ing moron.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 10:43:53 AM »
I agree with that (with the moron comment added).  The global warming people are even doing the opposite and shutting down nuke plants (Germany).  I think some of those people would rather freeze to death at night than admit that wind and solar cannot meet their power needs. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 11:08:40 AM »
I agree with that (with the moron comment added).  The global warming people are even doing the opposite and shutting down nuke plants (Germany).  I think some of those people would rather freeze to death at night than admit that wind and solar cannot meet their power needs.

More like they'd rather have you freeze to death.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 12:36:02 PM »
I have really gotten interested in enhanced geothermal energy.  It looks like it can provide continuous electricity without the problems associated with nuclear.

I wonder how easy it would be able to use enhanced geothermal to replace coal?  The air pollution (particulates) from coal alone make it a less than ideal form of energy.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 12:46:45 PM »

They don't want a solution; if they find one they will kill it.
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 02:41:01 PM »
They don't want a solution; if they find one they will kill it.
Hasn't there been a movement in Kali to get rid of dams - and the hydropower that comes with them?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 04:37:57 PM »
They're not interesting in building only destroying. Unless you count government.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2021, 04:45:45 PM »

Unfortunately, the people they would like to freeze to death understand concepts like "chop down tree" and "light match", so trying it won't work out very well for their precious mother gaia.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 08:45:43 PM »
Unfortunately, the people they would like to freeze to death understand concepts like "chop down tree" and "light match", so trying it won't work out very well for their precious mother gaia.

BAN MATCHES!

(It's for the children.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 09:54:10 PM »
BAN MATCHES!

(It's for the children.)

Sticks and stones will break my bones light my fire..
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2021, 10:41:42 PM »
Firewood is people!
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2021, 11:00:59 PM »
Firewood is people!

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2021, 12:08:59 AM »

I concur.

Particularly in places with strong central authoritarian governments - Assuming they view AWG as an existential threat; It's difficult to explain why they aren't standardizing a cookie cutter nuclear plant design and knocking them out left and right.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 12:19:27 AM »
The US Navy does a pretty good job of that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 10:15:41 AM »
Firewood is people!

Mark Twain wrote

“The fuel [Egyptian railroaders] use for the locomotive is composed of mummies three thousand years old, purchased by the ton or by the graveyard for that purpose, and … sometimes one hears the profane engineer call out pettishly, ‘D–n these plebeians, they don’t burn worth a cent — pass out a King!'”

(Should anyone fail to realize it’s a joke, Twain then added, “Stated to me for a fact. I only tell it as I got it. I am willing to believe it. I can believe anything.”)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2021, 11:36:02 AM »
This might be a solution. 

https://dilbert.com/strip/2001-03-29
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2021, 11:38:04 AM »
The Nazi method in dealing with undesirables 
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 07:22:33 PM »

Wind and solar can't even produce enough power to replicate themselves let alone power the world; it takes more total energy to make a solar panel or wind turbine than those devices will ever generate, ergo wind and solar are net energy CONSUMERS, not producers.  The only place they make economic sense is in remote or niche applications where you can not utilize conventional chemical energy or access the electrical grid.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2021, 07:24:25 PM »

Well taking their own words about their desired population level at face value they do want 90%+ of us to die.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2021, 07:29:41 PM »
I have really gotten interested in enhanced geothermal energy.  It looks like it can provide continuous electricity without the problems associated with nuclear.

I wonder how easy it would be able to use enhanced geothermal to replace coal?  The air pollution (particulates) from coal alone make it a less than ideal form of energy.

It is a location dependent energy source.  You can train coal or pipe oil across the nation to a conventional power plant but you can only put geothermal in certain locales.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2021, 08:42:29 PM »
It is a location dependent energy source.  You can train coal or pipe oil across the nation to a conventional power plant but you can only put geothermal in certain locales.

Enhanced geothermal creates its own sites in a similar manner to fracking.... then you inject water into the hot rock layer... that is what is so cool about it!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2021, 10:40:59 PM »
Enhanced geothermal creates its own sites in a similar manner to fracking.... then you inject water into the hot rock layer... that is what is so cool about it!

It is still location dependent.  Hot rock layers shallow enough to be accessed by drilling don't exist everywhere.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.