Author Topic: Best turkey brine  (Read 1136 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Best turkey brine
« on: November 16, 2021, 02:20:06 PM »
I want to brine the turkey this year before oven roasting it.  Any suggestions on a brine that adds some flavor, or is the straight sugar/salt/water solution the way to go?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Best turkey brine
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 02:24:31 PM »
Water, salt, sugar, an acid -- OJ, lemon juice, apple juice, cranberry juice, vinegar, whatever -- and whatever spices you want.

You can get proportions on a million websites.

when I'm brining a bird I normally go with light brown sugar, salt, apple juice, rosemary, sage, garlic, black pepper, oregano, and bay.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 03:57:25 PM »
I do a pretty straight forward brine, a 5 gallon bucket, enough water to submerge the bird, equal amounts of brown sugar and non-iodized salt (usually a Morton's salt 26 oz container). I use enough salt to float an egg. I am not much for measuring exactly. Then you can let your imagination take over. I use whole peppercorns, smashed garlic cloves, some green onions and a few bay leaves. If I go to the store and remember before starting the brine I will add some fresh sage and the peels of 2-4 oranges. Weigh down the bird so it sinks, I use a bolt used to mount street lights I have had for years because it is heavy and will fit in the cavity.

Read the labels, if they are self basting turkeys they have probably been injected with salt already, others may or may not be injected. This is where cheap off brand whole turkeys can be your choice, unless you want to go the fresh, organic route.

bob

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 04:14:59 PM »
For how long do you brine the bird?

Maybe I'll try this, is there anything that will mess the bird up? There will be company so I don't want to ruin the bird.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 04:16:54 PM »
For how long do you brine the bird?

Maybe I'll try this, is there anything that will mess the bird up? There will be company so I don't want to ruin the bird.

I usually do overnight. Too much salt can mess it up, unlikely because it is a short soak but the chance is there if you over salt.

If you use the dripping from the turkey for gravy of whatever do not add salt until you have tasted it, the drippings will have the salt from the turkey.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 09:44:00 AM »
In Googling turkey brine recipes, I see the recommendation for self-basting turkeys, like a Butterball is to cut the amount of salt in the brine by half, to account of the salt in the self-basting solution. I will do this when I brine the turkey tonight.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 01:19:53 PM »
I asked yesterday, and no one thought they could tell a difference from the turkey being brined, unlike when I brine a whole chicken. I wonder if it is because it was a Butterball turkey that already has a brining solution injected into it. I probably won't go to the bother of brining the turkey again.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 01:28:03 PM »
I usually only brine a turkey when I am going to smoke them. When I do plan on brining I will buy a cheaper store brand of turkey. It is impossible to tell from taste they are brined, it is usually just a little bit more moist and most apparent when you first slice the breast.

bob

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 12:35:17 AM »
I prefer to dry brine.  A bit late for Thanksgiving this year.  Just a light coating of kosher or coarse ground salt and keep uncovered in the fridge for 0.5-2 days.  Much easier than a wet brine.