Author Topic: Mice in the Walls  (Read 2212 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Mice in the Walls
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 03:46:03 PM »
The last time I saw a (fake) sticky trap used was outside a Lowes. It was about 4'x6' and had a scantly clad girl wearing mouse ears lying on it and making the most god awful screaming noises. I offered to get her a burger because lying there in the cold screaming she needed to keep her strength up. Who knew those PETA types were so anti-beef eating. :)

bob

Should have had someone distract her while someone sprayed contact glue on the "tape"  >:D
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2021, 03:52:05 PM »
With poison your walls are going to have a bunch of dead mice in them and with winter coming up airing out the smell may be a problem.

This. The little pests won't be considerate enough to die outside. They'll find the single most inaccessible place to expire, then proceed to make your place smell like dead mouse for a couple of weeks.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2021, 03:53:27 PM »
This. The little pests won't be considerate enough to die outside. They'll find the single most inaccessible place to expire, then proceed to make your place smell like dead mouse for a couple of weeks.

Brad
Yep, agree.
Poison outside, traps inside. Keep pets safe.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2021, 04:19:57 PM »
Okay. Ixnay on the oisonpay.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2021, 05:05:50 PM »
Detcord and fire.  It's the only way to be sure about getting rid of mice.

No. The only way to be sure is to take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2021, 05:59:50 PM »
We have pack rat problems. I was just feeding the rats with the poison. Wife went to extract oils. No more gallon buckets of gravel under the car hood.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2021, 06:06:22 PM »
I use Jaguar bait bars but not safe for dogs so you want em in bait boxes or use my free redneck bait boxes. (2 same size soup cans with a 1” hole in one can bottom then add bait and knock one can top into the other open top.)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2021, 12:37:23 PM »
Well, that stupid mouse had been making noise in the same wall since I wrote the OP. Doing some interneting, it was suggested that if you hear the scratching continually in the same place, and especially during the day vs night, the mouse has probably trapped himself in the wall and will die there.

I heard no scratching last night or this morning, and coincidentally just popped the hatch to the crawlspace and saw a mouse in the trap that I set there yesterday. So maybe that's the mouse, or it might be another one. It flipped the trap and I'm only seeing it from the bottom, but it looks like a light colored mouse with a white tail. Unlike the mice I catch in the garage and shop. I despise my crawlspace, so won't be going down to reset the trap until before my evening shower, but I'll be curious to see what kind of mouse this is right side up.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2021, 02:58:59 PM »
I’ve posted before about my deceased father and his hatred of mice in his shop around his antique cars. He used glue traps baited with a small bit of bacon or peanut butter. And he re-used glue traps.
One time I stopped by to visit and found him standing over the trash barrel with a glue trap in. One hand and snips in the other. He was snipping the mouse off at the ankles and leaving his feet in the trap and preparing to re use the trap.
I said something about being just a little bit cruel.
Dad said something like, “ This trap is still good and he ain’t gonna need those feet anymore anyway.”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2021, 03:40:26 PM »
Well, that stupid mouse had been making noise in the same wall since I wrote the OP. Doing some interneting, it was suggested that if you hear the scratching continually in the same place, and especially during the day vs night, the mouse has probably trapped himself in the wall and will die there.

I heard no scratching last night or this morning, and coincidentally just popped the hatch to the crawlspace and saw a mouse in the trap that I set there yesterday. So maybe that's the mouse, or it might be another one. It flipped the trap and I'm only seeing it from the bottom, but it looks like a light colored mouse with a white tail. Unlike the mice I catch in the garage and shop. I despise my crawlspace, so won't be going down to reset the trap until before my evening shower, but I'll be curious to see what kind of mouse this is right side up.

Sounds like a deer mouse, they can carry nasty diseases.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2021, 04:07:01 PM »
Get the rat sized sticky traps for mice. You can usually get two before they figure out to use their dead comrades as stepping stones.

The sonic deterrents actually worked long term at the shop. It didn't get rid of the mice already in residence, but we haven't had a mouse problem in years once we killed off the squatters.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2021, 05:30:23 PM »
 the poison has a chemical that makes the smell go away quickly, when i lved off grid - i started off kind of hippie and left being for mice genocide.
they have hanta virus too, ... by the way - the bucket trap works great when done right, put water in the bottom and toss 5 or ten dead away every morning
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2021, 01:50:17 PM »
I put out 6 snap traps last night.  This morning 75% were sprung, with no dead mice...  ???

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2021, 01:54:04 PM »
I had someone tell me they once hung the spring traps on a string so they hung just above the floor.  Supposedly the rat had to grab the food to hold it still and that caught the rat they had.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2021, 01:57:09 PM »

Mouse? You mean mice. For every one you're aware of there's 10-30+ more.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2021, 08:58:13 PM »
Came home, had a double-header.

FWIW, I saw a mouse, so I pretty much... overreacted... because there is no such thing as overkill.

Victor snap traps, some other little plastic things, a rolling log with peanut butter above a water-filled bucket, and a "they check in, but they don't check out" box with a clear lid.

The snap traps seem to work. We'll see if there are more.
Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2021, 09:39:15 PM »
We had a unusual mouse invasion this Fall. We'd occasionally get a few from time to time and either the odd trap or the dogs seemed to keep them either out or in check. This year it was wild. Set a number of sticky traps and snap traps with limited success but they just seemed to keep coming. Resorted to poison. a couple of child/pet resistant bait stations and a couple of open feeder type baits where there was essentially no chance of dogs or kids accessing them. Found several deaders the first few days but 10+ days now since putting out the poison and haven't seen sign of a mouse in over a week. So far no dead mouse stink bomb effect either.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2021, 09:44:55 PM »
If you need a "safe" poison...

Mice LOVE regular sugary coca-cola.

Mice cannot burp.

We used it on the farm with some success. I confirmed the concept with a couple of the vets in the labs.
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2021, 09:52:39 PM »
Did you know that Amazon sells a 64-pack of Victor traps?
Blog under construction

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2021, 01:38:55 AM »
I had some issues with mice in my barn so I picked up a trap that snaps on top of a 5 gallon bucket. Bait (peanut butter) attracts the mice onto a platform that tips them into the bucket.  A little bit of water makes it lethal.

I emptied another four out of it today, and have gotten as many as six in a go.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2022, 09:28:18 AM »
Unwanted thread necro, and necro in general.

Dammit. I heard a scratching just now somewhere around the bathroom wall where my jacuzzi tub is. There is a 12"x12" hatch to some of the tub plumbing that opens from my bedroom. I had been placing traps in there just inside the hatch, would occasionally catch a mouse, and dispose of it, case closed.

When I heard the scratching just now, I figured maybe I caught a mouse that hadn't been killed right away. That's exactly what happened, only it looks like the trap got him by the foot, and he dragged the trap a good four feet past the hatch and in between some plumbing. There's absolutely no way for me to reach the trap, even with a stick or something.

Now it looks like he's gonna die there and start decomposing. I guess I'll have to make a note to spray nature's miracle or similar in the hatch every couple of weeks for a few months. Dammit. From now on I'm tying the trap to a string in that location. Live and learn I guess.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2022, 09:46:34 AM »
One of the long button-push springy snag things. Great for getting stuff out of relatively inaccessible places.

https://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Flexible-Grabber-Reacher-Bathroom/dp/B0967XDWB2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=UWXGPH0VZGC9&keywords=extra%2Blong%2Bflexible%2Bgrabber&qid=1650289553&sprefix=extra%2Blong%2Bflexible%2Bgrabber%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-2&th=1

That, or 5-6 feet of bailing wire. Sharpen on end to a razor point then turn it back into a slightly-open J shape. Essentially a six foot long barbless fishhook.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 10:04:30 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2022, 09:50:18 AM »
One of the long button-push springy snag things. Great for getting stuff out of relatively inaccessible places.

Hey, that might do it. I would definitely need something bendy like that. I think I'll order it. I want the mouse to be dead first anyway so that when I grab the trap, he doesn't get loose while I'm pulling it out and go back into the walls. Amazon two day delivery should do the trick.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2022, 04:02:38 PM »
We are using poison in bait stations.  They are eating it, so hopefully it is working.  We only got a couple in snap traps.