Author Topic: Sauerbraten  (Read 1121 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Sauerbraten
« on: November 16, 2021, 11:28:56 AM »
I bought a couple of old, well reviewed cookbooks from Amazon, used. A Polish one and a German cookbook.

Reading the Sauerbraten recipe it looks like it could be up my ally as well as being different. A challenge even.

Anyone here make it or had it? The book claims the American German restaurants don't do a good job. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Sauerbraten
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 11:52:51 AM »
My Mother used to make it, but only very occasionally, as to do it right takes 3 to 4 days.

Hers was wonderful.

Alton Brown's recipe looks very similar to what I remember of Mom's.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sauerbraten-recipe-1944490

The biggest issue is finding the right gingersnaps. Most of the store bought ones are crap. You want ones that are based on old-school recipes with as few ingredients as possible.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 12:08:50 PM »
I had it when I was a kid and recall liking it, but my mom didn't make it much since it wasn't a popular dish in the region where my folks came from. I might have to make it as one of my Winter dishes though.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 12:12:39 PM »
The biggest issue is finding the right gingersnaps. Most of the store bought ones are crap. You want ones that are based on old-school recipes with as few ingredients as possible.

If you can find them, the Stauffer's brand is pretty good.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 12:15:44 PM »
Stauffer's is the bare minimum.

The best option is to find a German shop or a German bakery.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 04:16:54 PM »
Stauffer's is the bare minimum.

The best option is to find a German shop or a German bakery.

I think I actually ran across good ginger cookies at Trader Joes, I don't live near one now though.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 04:43:46 PM »
I think I actually ran across good ginger cookies at Trader Joes, I don't live near one now though.

Trader Joe's gingersnaps (they call it something like "triple ginger") are good.  Cheap ones from Walmart are much better than you'd expect; I use them with brown sugar and mustard to coat baked ham (thank you, Alton Brown)
"It's good, though..."