Author Topic: Ohio could be going constitutional carry  (Read 776 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Ohio could be going constitutional carry
« on: November 18, 2021, 11:33:17 PM »
The bill that will be of greater importance to most people is HB 227, a Constitutional Carry measure that sailed through the House on a 60-32 vote.

On to the senate

Ohio House Approves Permitless Carry, Armed School Staff Bills
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2021/11/18/ohio-house-approves-permitless-carry-armed-school-staff-bills-n52219
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: Ohio could be going constitutional carry
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 01:00:19 AM »
Hopefully the Senate votes in favor.

That reminds me, my Ohio CCW expires end of January.  I better get my renewal paperwork going sooner than later…

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 08:44:09 AM »
I was able to renew my Michigan cwp on the internet in '19.  Still had to pay over a hundred bucks.  We've had a CC bull floating around in Lansing for years.  Our last governor was a RINO and said he'd veto it.  Present governor is a Commie.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 11:02:34 AM »
I know very little about Ohio, but the popular image seems to be of a very normal state, inhabited by very normal people. It's not the wild west of Texas, or crazy Florida, or quaintly libertarian Wyoming, or that bunch of anti-government rednecks in Georgia. It's Ohio. If you're watching one of those movies about a starry-eyed, wholesome, middle-American kid trying to make it in the Big Apple, that kid seems to always come from Ohio. (At least according to my wife.)

Somehow the idea of Ohio adopting freedom carry seems like it must drag the whole idea out of the realm of wild-eyed, muh freedoms absolutism, and solidly into the mainstream.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JN01

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 01:04:21 PM »
Knowing Ohio, the Senate will pass a slightly different bill, then in the reconciliation process they will cobble together a final bill that allows permitless carry only on your own property. It will be signed into law with the Republicans declaring a great victory for the RKBA.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 06:30:28 PM »
On to the senate

Ohio House Approves Permitless Carry, Armed School Staff Bills
https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2021/11/18/ohio-house-approves-permitless-carry-armed-school-staff-bills-n52219

How far we've gone.

20-ish years ago, more or less, a guy in a libertarian/ancap email list I followed got into a fair bit of trouble in Ohio, over CCW.  Driving home to somewhere out east from somewhere in the plains states, he neglected to put his pistol in the trunk at the edge of OH, and got stopped for speeding.  Ooops.  Ohio passed CCW, while his legal troubles were ongoing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 11:28:28 PM »
Knowing Ohio, the Senate will pass a slightly different bill, then in the reconciliation process they will cobble together a final bill that allows permitless carry only on your own property. It will be signed into law with the Republicans declaring a great victory for the RKBA.
The Texas bill has a few exceptions I don't like.  For us, I have confidence that we can remove some of those exceptions in the future.  How likely is that in Ohio?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JN01

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 12:49:51 AM »
Over the past couple decades, the Ohio legislature has introduced a lot of great comprehensive gun bills. Unfortunately, when it comes down to the wire, they have proven to be too timid (even when the Republicans conrolled the House, Senate, and Governor's office) to make bold advances. Miniscule improvements are better than nothing, but are frustrating compared to what could be.

The LE notification requirement has a record of abuse, it really needs to be reformed.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 08:46:44 AM »
Dewine it the epitome of a RINO,  wouldn't hold my breath on him signing that one.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 10:23:03 AM »
Pennsylvania has also passed a const. carry bill, but it will also likely be vetoed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 02:11:16 PM »
 I recall, must be 20 or 25 yrs ago now, how excited I was by the open carry marches people in Ohio did.
 It was really exciting, living in CA , that people could do that without going to prison!!
Good Luck Ohio, and thanks!!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 05:39:45 PM »
I recall, must be 20 or 25 yrs ago now, how excited I was by the open carry marches people in Ohio did.
 It was really exciting, living in CA , that people could do that without going to prison!!

They had their state supreme court behind them. What prompted the marches was a state supreme court ruling that the Ohio state constitution guaranteed a right to keep and bear arms. Since the legislature had prohibited concealed carry and made no provision for permits to carry concealed, then (according to the court) open carry was de facto legal and no license or permit was required.

This led to a sudden increase in open carry, with the predictable concurrent increase in soccer moms getting the vapors over seeing a [gasp] GUN!, thus prompting the legislature to enact concealed carry legislation so the soccer moms could be spared the stress of having to see GUNZ! out in the open.

ARTICLE I: BILL OF RIGHTS

BEARING ARMS; STANDING ARMIES; MILITARY POWER

§4  The  people  have  the  right  to  bear arms  for  their  defense  and  security; 
but  standing  armies,  in  time  of  peace, are  dangerous  to  liberty,  and  shall  not 
be kept up; and the military shall be in strict subordination to the civil power.
(1851)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 08:52:34 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 08:19:34 PM »

We had an OFCC event in Berkley-of-the-midwest Oberlin and it was hilarious.  Lotta screeching fat college dykes.  Good times.  Years later that same shitty town tried to play preemption games and lost there too.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.