Author Topic: Weaponized Shipping Containers  (Read 1658 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Weaponized Shipping Containers
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2021, 02:45:55 PM »
Yeah, but the nice thing about using fertilizer is that it can be made to look like an accident. A nuke not so much.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2021, 02:54:31 PM »
If we're talking about ports, you don't need any ginormous bomb to take out the port. You just need something that will quickly break apart and sink the full container ship carrying the device just inside the port entrance. You're talking at least months to clear that out. Imagine if the current slowdown out of LA/LB was cut to zero containers getting on trucks and trains.

Hint: You don't have to imagine it. That scenario has already been tabletopped by Top Men and it's fairly devastating.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2021, 03:05:38 PM »
I wasn't thinking about direct damage so much as assuming the leadership would add on so many rules changes as a result the ports would be moving at a snail's pace even compared to now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2021, 03:20:08 PM »
I wasn't thinking about direct damage so much as assuming the leadership would add on so many rules changes as a result the ports would be moving at a snail's pace even compared to now.

You meant more than they are now?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2021, 03:24:16 PM »
You meant more than they are now?

Don't ever assume that the government can't make something worse.  :P

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2021, 03:26:12 PM »
Don't ever assume that the government can't make something worse.  :P

Yeah I know. Never underestimate the government's ability to "fix" things.
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2021, 04:26:08 PM »
I’d sink a container ship in each channel of the Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel if I wanted to make a mess. Add in some containers of hazmat and a huge fuel leak or radiation if you want to slow cleanup. Shuts down Norfolk, Portsmouth, other natural gas and liquid petroleum terminals, Maryland ports, the naval response to such, etc.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.