Author Topic: The Great Barrier  (Read 332 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Great Barrier
« on: November 20, 2021, 09:27:08 AM »
It appears that the Great Barrier protecting Sha Ka Ree at the center of the galaxy is real.  =)

https://www.livescience.com/amp/milky-way-center-cosmic-ray-barrier

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Great_Barrier
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: The Great Barrier
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 10:02:14 AM »
The "Unthinking Depths", that  imprison a Lovecraftian horror from an earlier age in our galaxy.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 10:06:15 AM »
Interesting.

Of course the "barrier" is nearly empty hard vacuum by any human standards, and a ship could sail right through it. Just instrumentation taking note of a difference from where cosmic rays are coming from/direction, and their overall energy/velocity.

But it would be pretty epic to land on some planet near Sagittarius A*, and ask the floating Bogie/Santa Claus head, "What need does God have of a starship?" and then watch him get all angry.  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 10:11:07 AM »
Paging Gary Mitchell to the red courtesy phone.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 10:27:57 AM »
Anything not forbidden is allowed?

Or... Mandatory?
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 01:27:13 PM »
The fact that the Barrier and center of the galaxy were only some 6.7 hours away from Nimbus III, in the Neutral Zone, at warp 7 is inconsistent with how fast the warp speeds have been established to be later on in Star Trek after Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.
From the link about Start Trek V. 
The story I heard is that Star Trek V is actually Kirk's dream.  Seems to fit with some of the plot and timeline of the movie. 

Also, it is funnier if you assume that Scotty is drunk every time he appears on screen (might be right anyway).  Compared to recent stuff, that movie isn't all that bad.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge