Author Topic: Science  (Read 719 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Science
« on: November 21, 2021, 03:56:10 AM »
It is not a scientific fact unless independent variable A is accompanied by dependent variable B in the absence of variables C through Z 100 per cent of the time.  Observational error is included among variables C through Z.  Additional variables AA through AZ are imponderables until observational or theoretical considerations bring them to light.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 04:22:48 AM by 230RN »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Science
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 08:17:04 AM »
You need to factor in political science since it's become the primary factor in science overall.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 08:57:17 AM »
You also need to factor in getting a grant.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 09:11:46 AM »

And what the current herd consensus is.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 09:41:44 AM »
I've been reading some scientific history/philosophy recently.  Some of the Karl Popper is pretty interesting - the idea of falsifiability came later in history than I thought.

"Logically, no number of positive outcomes at the level of experimental testing can confirm a scientific theory, but a single counterexample is logically decisive; it shows the theory, from which the implication is derived, to be false. To say that a given statement (e.g., the statement of a law of some scientific theory)—call it "T"—is "falsifiable" does not mean that "T" is false. Rather, it means that, if "T" is false, then (in principle), "T" could be shown to be false, by observation or by experiment. Popper's account of the logical asymmetry between verification and falsifiability lies at the heart of his philosophy of science. It also inspired him to take falsifiability as his criterion of demarcation between what is, and is not, genuinely scientific: a theory should be considered scientific if, and only if, it is falsifiable. This led him to attack the claims of both psychoanalysis and contemporary Marxism to scientific status, on the basis that their theories are not falsifiable."

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 11:41:28 AM »
It is not a scientific fact unless independent variable A is accompanied by dependent variable B in the absence of variables C through Z 100 per cent of the time.  Observational error is included among variables C through Z.  Additional variables AA through AZ are imponderables until observational or theoretical considerations bring them to light.

Terry, 230RN

Don't forget to consider that on the other hand there is a glove!  :old:

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

230RN

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 08:53:20 PM »
Don't forget to consider that on the other hand there is a glove!  :old:

Woody

Ah, yes, the isoglove.

If identically treated as with the variable A in my OP, will it yield result B or result isoB?

What's your theory?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 09:10:12 PM by 230RN »

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 09:43:43 PM »
Ah, yes, the isoglove.

If identically treated as with the variable A in my OP, will it yield result B or result isoB?

What's your theory?

It will depend on whether the standard is acceptably applied and if the lens setting correlates as well. I think you could get either B or isoB depending upon the application of any variable C through Z. Variables AA through AZ notwithstanding.

Keep a clear mind and it wont be problematic.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 09:53:37 PM »
I've been reading some scientific history/philosophy recently.  Some of the Karl Popper is pretty interesting - the idea of falsifiability came later in history than I thought.

"Logically, no number of positive outcomes at the level of experimental testing can confirm a scientific theory, but a single counterexample is logically decisive; it shows the theory, from which the implication is derived, to be false. To say that a given statement (e.g., the statement of a law of some scientific theory)—call it "T"—is "falsifiable" does not mean that "T" is false. Rather, it means that, if "T" is false, then (in principle), "T" could be shown to be false, by observation or by experiment. Popper's account of the logical asymmetry between verification and falsifiability lies at the heart of his philosophy of science. It also inspired him to take falsifiability as his criterion of demarcation between what is, and is not, genuinely scientific: a theory should be considered scientific if, and only if, it is falsifiable. This led him to attack the claims of both psychoanalysis and contemporary Marxism to scientific status, on the basis that their theories are not falsifiable."

I read this book a few years ago and recommended it

Philosophy and the Real World: An Introduction to Karl Popper
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0875484360/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 11:05:44 PM »

I just found out that they now have grants that are for the express purpose of getting a bigger grant.  Not sure why, but it did surprise me that they'll give you money to ask for more money.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 11:20:00 PM »
^
Grantwriting is an art and a profession and the practitioners thereof deserve high compensation for their button-pushing and word-tailoring skills.

Many of them have traveled to Ireland to kiss the Blarney Stone and may advance to high level campaign speech writing on their return.

You heard it here first.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blarney_Stone#Ritual

The ritual of kissing the Blarney Stone, according to the castle's proprietors, has been performed by "millions of people", including "world statesmen, literary giants [and] legends of the silver screen"

And grant writers.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 12:00:10 AM by 230RN »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 01:10:21 AM »
“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. When someone says ‘science teaches such and such’, he is using the word incorrectly."-- Richard Feynman
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 09:36:34 AM »
“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. When someone says ‘science teaches such and such’, he is using the word incorrectly."-- Richard Feynman

That isn't a bad quote.  Science is often used to describe anything that requires a bit of thought and analysis. 

My biggest complaint with stuff lately is people don't look at or document the assumptions in the data or in how they are trying to apply the data.  Of course, then you get all sorts of logical leaps such as in global warming stuff.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 09:42:43 AM »
That isn't a bad quote.  Science is often used to describe anything that requires a bit of thought and analysis. 

My biggest complaint with stuff lately is people don't look at or document the assumptions in the data or in how they are trying to apply the data.  Of course, then you get all sorts of logical leaps such as in global warming stuff.

QFT

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.