Author Topic: 'Dopesick' on Hulu  (Read 258 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
'Dopesick' on Hulu
« on: November 21, 2021, 11:47:18 AM »
If you have Hulu, 'Dopesick' may be worth your attention.  Eight episodes and starring Michael Keaton.  It is an adaptation of a very good book about Purdue Pharma, the Sackler family, and the OxyContin crisis.   Having been in healthcare at the time, much of it is very accurate regarding the marketing of the drug, pain as the fifth vital sign, physicians searching desperately for ways to help their patients in pain, and hospitals being worried about negative online reviews by patients with inadequate pain control.  There are now much tighter controls on prescribing prescription narcotics and this is the primary reason why heroin and fentanyl are now so prevalent on the streets of America.  Recall our earlier discussions about how opioids/heroin/fentanyl are one of the leading causes of declining life expectancy for poorer white people in the US.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: 'Dopesick' on Hulu
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 09:03:53 PM »
Inadequate pain management tends to lead to a mix of chronic pain and opioid abuse...
Blog under construction

fifth_column

• friend
Re: 'Dopesick' on Hulu
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 12:12:13 PM »
I've been enjoying it. Keaton's performance is excellent. I haven't finished it yet. I had only heard about the opioid epidemic, I had no idea the severity. I can see how easy it would be to get addicted to oxy. I've been prescribed it for an injury and it certainly makes a person feel good.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht