Author Topic: Abbott vs Beto  (Read 4967 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Abbott vs Beto
« on: November 21, 2021, 06:21:28 PM »
I know it's a year away, but how is a guy running on an "I'll take your guns" platform only six points behind Abbott in Texas, even in early polling? Seems like there should be a one or even two in front of that six.

You guys on the ground there wanna clue me in? I know Texas is getting less red with the commies moving in, but I can't believe it's this close to turning yet.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/beto-orourke-stands-by-infamous-pledge-take-guns-from-americans-if-elected-governor
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Abbott vs Beto
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 06:42:42 PM »
Abbott isn't much and tRuE CoNserVativeS!!! would rather stay home and help elect spoiled rich brat Robert Francis. He went to school in my county and graduated a few years before me. Only I was at the poor kid public school and he was at the rich kid boarding school. I pre-judge everyone who went to that school and I am right more often than not. A true man of the people.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 06:52:55 PM »
Who's at home to answer the poll calls?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 07:30:04 PM »
Cruz only beat Beto by a little. 

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/texas-senate

Big cities are usually leftist, and Texas has some huge cities, as well as lots of Mexicans.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 09:18:41 PM »
Do the Texicans still think that "Beto" is one of them?
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 10:20:50 AM »
Hard say what the poll means without all the background details of the poll.  I don't generally trust polls these days.

Beto nearly beat Ted Cruz for Senate back when Beto was thought to be a centrist Democrat and trying to be a modern JFK.  He showed who he was in the Presidential run.  I really doubt he would do better this time.  He has a lot of money to spend so he will be loud and in the news regardless of whether anyone likes him or not. 

The issue to me is Abbott didn't make any friends last year.  He ended the COVID restrictions earlier than most states, but most wanted him to end them a lot sooner.  There were a lot of people upset about rules shutting down small businesses while leaving big businesses open. 

The joke I hear is Abbott does whatever Desantis does, but about 3 weeks later after focus grouping the decision to be sure. 

The question is could we do better or worse than Abbott?  I don't know who else is running in the R primary, but I had heard Allen West might run so we could do a bit worse. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 10:35:27 AM »
You guys on the ground there wanna clue me in? I know Texas is getting less red with the commies moving in, but I can't believe it's this close to turning yet.

In Austin, the DFW area, some border counties, and most university towns, you'll see a higher instance of Prii, Volvos, Subaru wagons, and questionably insured wrecking yard rejects with requisite BETO! stickers. Liberals love him because he's not a conservative and he supposedly hates guns. Welfare recipients love him because he promises free *expletive deleted*it. Millennials love him because he's not an Old Heterosexual White Guy. Otherwise most everyone thinks he's a moron.

True Mexicans (as in people from Mexico, not the generalized ethnic inference) are outright insulted by his ethnicity claims. "Latinos" who are just in it for the ethnic branding think he's cool because Not Trump.

MechAg nailed it when he mentioned Abbott's handling of COVID restrictions, businesses especially. While he did roll restrictions back early, the fact that he did it at all significantly soured a lot of attitudes. I have a real burr under my saddle about it, but I do have to grudgingly admit he's otherwise done well at generally keeping the state on a pro-business and pro-personal liberties track.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 05:41:21 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 01:30:57 PM »
Abbott has pretty much signed every pro-gun bill sent his way included constitutional carry and expressed support for them.  I have a hard time saying I would oppose him.  I would just say I will vote for him unless someone demonstrably better comes along.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 10:29:58 PM »

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 06:18:47 PM »
Suddenly Beto is pro 2A.

Beto O'Rourke Has Seen The Light...But Hates Constitutional Carry!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHxvuSpXzxg

Beto’s New Campaign Message: Hell Yes We Need to Protect the Second Amendment!
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/betos-latest-campaign-message-hell-yes-we-need-to-protect-the-second-amendment/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2022, 10:06:03 AM »
Looks like Beto wants to make you think he did another 180.
This time CRT.
Surprised he hasn't thrown up from spinning so much.

Beto O’Rourke distances himself from yet another issue in his run for Texas governor
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/03/12/beto-orourke-distances-himself-from-yet-another-issue-in-his-run-for-texas-governor/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2022, 10:48:46 AM »
I'm in a quandary:

Is he stupid enough to believe people won't notice his 180 flips and flops, or are people too stupid to notice his 180 flips and flops? I suppose his vote percentage will give us a clue.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2022, 12:04:58 PM »
I'm in a quandary:

Is he stupid enough to believe people won't notice his 180 flips and flops, or are people too stupid to notice his 180 flips and flops? I suppose his vote percentage will give us a clue.

All of the above.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2022, 01:41:06 PM »
Francis, the dirty, smelly flipflop in the back ally gutter.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2022, 05:58:39 PM »
It is simple math:

People believe what they want to believe + people vote for the party they identify with, regardless of consequences = you get *expletive deleted*it for government
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2022, 06:18:35 PM »
And he does it again!

Beto Flip-Flops On Confiscation AGAIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QZe1Zlhx-Y

- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2022, 06:25:00 PM »
And he does it again!

Beto Flip-Flops On Confiscation AGAIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QZe1Zlhx-Y

[img]https://payload.cargocollective.com/1/3/102668/12161976/compass-animation-website.gif

He said all that stuff at SxSW, so totally catering to the dirty hippie and SJW audience. He'll flip again if some Texas state MSM reporter asks him to clarify for the residents of Texas.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2022, 12:06:52 PM »
 :facepalm:

Texas gubernatorial hopeful Beto O’Rourke officially makes trans kids a key part of his campaign platform [pic]
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/03/31/texas-gubernatorial-hopeful-beto-orourke-officially-makes-trans-kids-a-key-part-of-his-campaign-platform-pic/

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2022, 12:07:33 PM »
n the comments

"Hell yes, we're going to take your AR-15 and your child's penis!" https://t.co/oJEV2xRz0Y

— Frank J. Fleming (@IMAO_) March 31, 2022

- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2022, 10:37:41 PM »
I'm at the point where anything I have to say about that POS and his ilk just ends up fedpoasty,  so instead I hope his voter turnout is as legitimate as his persona.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2022, 11:22:11 PM »
I am just glad he is running as a full leftist this time instead of trying to appear centrist.  I don't think it will work for him. 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2022, 11:36:08 PM »
I am just glad he is running as a full leftist this time instead of trying to appear centrist.  I don't think it will work for him.

Depends on who is counting the votes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2022, 03:43:23 AM »
Depends on who is counting the votes.
Pointless to even talk about that much as it renders all other election discussion meaningless.  Might as well bring Hitler into it.

Plus, Trump won Texas.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2022, 08:36:58 AM »

Plus, Trump won Texas.

He won Kentucky overwhelming both times but we elected a dem gov at the same time mostly on the weight of the teacher's union and their MSM parrots who ran constant articles on how the then R gov was anti children and a criminal
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2022, 05:20:12 PM »
And he does it again
This time on Title 42

Another Beto O'Rourke Flip Flop: This Time It's About the Border Crisis
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/juliorosas/2022/04/18/another-beto-orourke-flip-flop-now-he-supports-getting-rid-of-title-42-n2606001
- Calvin and Hobbes