Author Topic: Car plows through Christmas Parade in Wisconsin  (Read 7470 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Car plows through Christmas Parade in Wisconsin
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2022, 01:09:54 PM »
^^^I have not followed this case since it happened.  Is the convicted perpetrator mentally ill or just malicious?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2022, 01:15:50 PM »
^^^I have not followed this case since it happened.  Is the convicted perpetrator mentally ill or just malicious?

"At this point, what difference does it make?"
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2022, 01:19:39 PM »

Little from column A, little from column B....
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2022, 04:53:02 PM »
So he was convicted on every count, apparently, even assaulting his girlfriend before the murders. Has Wisconsin the death penalty?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #154 on: October 26, 2022, 04:58:00 PM »
" Has Wisconsin the death penalty?"

Nope. Not had the death penalty since... 1853.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2022, 05:29:44 PM »
Well, he's certainly going all the way with it. It was God's fault, man.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1585034294174457858
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #156 on: October 26, 2022, 08:16:20 PM »
 The guy is a for real moron, I've been following the case a bit.
He's one of those moorish sovereign citizens 
 He is not mentally ill, he is just really stupid and just clever enough to fool himself.
 By the end of the trial he managed to at least learn some legal terms, he used the same strategy he used to win street arguments berate and mutter loudly under his breath and stare menacingly .

it really reminded me of this old SNL skit from when they were funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We_Tu2kgbFA
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2022, 08:49:11 PM »

Darrell Brooks Jr., the man convicted of killing six people when he plowed his red Ford SUV through a Christmas parade last year in Wisconsin, was sentenced on Wednesday to six consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole for each count of first-degree intentional homicide. 
https://www.foxnews.com/us/darrell-brooks-jr-wisconsin-christmas-parade-killer-sentenced-six-consecutive-life-sentences
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2022, 02:07:18 AM »
it really reminded me of this old SNL skit from when they were funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We_Tu2kgbFA

Tim was an unsung hero of 90s SNL.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2022, 09:33:33 AM »
"...was sentenced on Wednesday to six consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole for each count of first-degree intentional homicide. "

So, 36 life sentences?

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2022, 09:46:30 AM »
"...was sentenced on Wednesday to six consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole for each count of first-degree intentional homicide. "

So, 36 life sentences?

How’d you calculate that?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2022, 10:10:53 AM »
How’d you calculate that?

That's what Fox news wrote.  "six consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole for each count of first-degree intentional homicide. " times six counts of homicide is 36 life sentences.

I imagine that the sentence that Fox news was attempting to write was: "six consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole, one for each count of first-degree intentional homicide."

I also suspect that Terry was pointing out someone whose job it is to write clear English and at least one person whose job it is to edit articles for clarity managed to F up a pretty simple sentence.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2022, 10:15:18 AM »
That's what Fox news wrote.  "six consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole for each count of first-degree intentional homicide. " times six counts of homicide is 36 life sentences.

I imagine that the sentence that Fox news was attempting to write was: "six consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole, one for each count of first-degree intentional homicide."

I also suspect that Terry was pointing out someone whose job it is to write clear English and at least one person whose job it is to edit articles for clarity managed to F up a pretty simple sentence.

Do they even have editors, or even proof-readers anymore?  I suspect the reporters write their own copy and it goes straight to publication.  Editors and proof-readers are expensive.  (there probably is someone with the title of editor, but basically an executive editor who draws a bigger salary but doesn't do anything)
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2022, 10:29:57 AM »
Expecting correct math is racist
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2022, 01:03:38 PM »
Werd problms iz hard!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

230RN

• friend
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2022, 06:24:56 PM »
Well, they had a series of pruf readers for press releases and so on where eye wurjed, and I was the last of three to proofreed the wordiage.  I still found errors.

Even 2day I can be a pain in the ass about it.  I will forgive errors which actually increase readability (e.g, ending a sentence with a proposition, dangling modifiers) and communication  in common speech, though.

Well, maybe I'm just a general pain in the ass anyway, proofreading skills notwithstanding.

But that 36 life sentences gave me a good laugh.

Well-deserved, though.

Terry, 230RN

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2022, 10:33:41 PM »
Well, they had a series of pruf readers for press releases and so on where eye wurjed, and I was the last of three to proofreed the wordiage.  I still found errors.

Even 2day I can be a pain in the ass about it.  I will forgive errors which actually increase readability (e.g, ending a sentence with a proposition, dangling modifiers) and communication  in common speech, though.

Well, maybe I'm just a general pain in the ass anyway, proofreading skills notwithstanding.

But that 36 life sentences gave me a good laugh.

Well-deserved, though.

Terry, 230RN

yes, it was hilarious to watch!! I was laughing me buttoks off.
If I am correct, he has to finish one term at a time - for all the guilty verdicts - it's gotta be like 200 years or something - it is really really funny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-98ufy-eyI
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• friend
« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2022, 10:44:56 PM »
To me the funny part was the 6 X 6 = 36  life terms according to the way the article was written.

Otherwise, there was nothing funny about the situation.

You are right, the actual punishment was 6 (same as number of dead victims) life sentences to be served sequentially, not concurrently, and without parole possible.

Sentences like "19 years to life" are possible, though. Such was Phil Spector's sentence for the murder of Lana Clarkson.

Terry
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 11:02:18 PM by 230RN »

230RN

• friend
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2022, 11:38:41 AM »
I can't resist adding to a poster's question about them not having editors by pointing out that nowadays too much reliance is placed on automatic text editors.  Thus the meme I saw recently:  "Spellcheck is my worst enema."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2022, 01:29:48 PM »
I wonder if a public defender would have or could have gotten him lesser charges or a lighter sentence.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2022, 09:01:29 PM »
I wonder if a public defender would have or could have gotten him lesser charges or a lighter sentence.

I would bet it would have, Kenosha is an hour away iirc, It seems to be a very blue/woke area .
 The Waukesha police kneeled to BLM, when that wave of woke police doing that happened I was truly sickened , I knew somehow that appeasing the violent left was a huge mistake-I feel it contributed to Brooks mindset  ( i have no proof tho )

230RN

• friend
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2022, 06:08:35 PM »
  I would bet it would have, Kenosha is an hour away iirc, It seems to be a very blue/woke area .
 The Waukesha police kneeled to BLM, when that wave of woke police doing that happened I was truly sickened. I knew somehow that appeasing the violent left was a huge mistake-I feel it contributed to Brooks mindset  ( I have no proof tho. )

Good insight. I wish more people would realize the cost of complicity with criminals. Like the old protection racket:  "You need to buy our 'insurance' just in case 'something' happens to your grocery store.  You wouldn't want that to happen, would you?  Who knows... a fire, an earthquake..." (Releases grip on "client's" lapels and solicitously brushes off the "client's" now-wrinkled lapels with an evil grin  "The 'premium' is only $175 once a week.  Every week." he adds.)

Terry "Don't ask me about my business," 230RN
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 07:00:00 PM by 230RN »