Author Topic: Essential thanksgiving...  (Read 503 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Essential thanksgiving...
« on: November 25, 2021, 08:55:55 AM »
Well, I'm off to go open the store. So that if someone gets into car problems traveling today, they have a place to turn.

If I'm lucky, I'll have some pizza around noon.

Be nice to the essential people who you will see if you leave your houses today.
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Essential thanksgiving...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 09:42:22 AM »
Do you get 2x or 3x holiday pay?  I assume not because your regional manager sucks.  Is he at least buying the pizza?
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 10:06:02 AM »
We're driving from Florissant MO to Kirksville this morning, and my wife wanted to get drive-thru breakfast at a donut and sandwich place. I pointed out that the place might be closed, and who wants to make people work on Thanksgiving, anyway? But she had "I've been making Thanksgiving dishes all week" on her side, so I went along with it.

That restaurant, and the nearby ones were closed, it turned out, so we ended up doing gas station breakfast. Perd 1, Wifey 0.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 11:00:22 AM »
Wife and MIL are out getting those last few things for the big meal. 

Which reminds me of how grateful I am that I don’t work retail.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 11:01:47 AM »
Father in law is at work at Big Lots he’s the store manager. They do not get shift differential and his store will be open until 9 tonight. The corporate people who order it though are all off today and tomorrow.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 11:14:46 AM »
Father in law is at work at Big Lots he’s the store manager. They do not get shift differential and his store will be open until 9 tonight. The corporate people who order it though are all off today and tomorrow.

The upper management should be flogged.

I never even think of shopping at Target, but I have to give them credit. They are closed today, and they have decided that (until they change the policy) that they will henceforth be closed on Thanksgiving.

I work for a town governmental office. We are closed today, of course, but I was surprised to learn that we also have Friday off.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 11:29:23 AM »

MIL worked for Bi-Mart her whole career.  Eventually moved up to the corporate as a buyer.  From Thanksgiving to Christmas nobody at corporate was allowed time off.  They figured since the store workers couldn’t get time off that was only fair.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 11:39:26 AM »
Back when I was a police officer, working holidays was just another day at work.  No extra pay or earned time off.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 11:45:05 AM »

I never even think of shopping at Target, but I have to give them credit. They are closed today, and they have decided that (until they change the policy) that they will henceforth be closed on Thanksgiving.

Being closed on Thanksgiving has been Target policy for a few years now.  Frankly, I was surprised when the announcement came down through our internal communications.
In Target distribution we did not close on Thanksgiving.  It was the busiest day of the year for us, getting ready for Black Friday.
When I first hired on at Target, my then-boss made it clear that we really didn't have any holidays on the distribution side.  Except for Christmas, we worked them all.  The hourly folks got holiday pay.  We salaried types got unofficial comp time.
Of course, the headquarters teams observed all the holidays.
I sure am glad I retired.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 11:47:48 AM »

I work for a town governmental office. We are closed today, of course, but I was surprised to learn that we also have Friday off.

Oh it gets better. These same managers were making all store employees including those unloading full to the brim trucks wear masks. Imagine unloading a 120 degree tractor trailer for hours, no air flow, while wearing a cloth mask. Then after *expletive deleted*tard Fauci tried to decree double masking they tried to make them double mask.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2021, 12:08:29 PM »
My son and daughter in law work at a wally world distribution center, they are working today.
While in the Navy I spent many a holiday at sea or on duty.
While I was at AT&T and working the night shift my schedule regularly had me working the actual holiday particularly if it fell on a Sunday and off for the "observed holiday". Thanksgiving was the best deal on that, AT&T gave two days for Thanksgiving. My week started on Sunday so my "holiday" started Wednesday morning.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2021, 12:35:14 PM »
Back when I was a police officer, working holidays was just another day at work.  No extra pay or earned time off.

That's the way it was working as as an RN on the community side. Once I went to the VA even though we worked we got holiday pay for it.  I would often volunteer to work it so people with families could stay home. Of course holiday pay combined with OT pay was pretty good.

bob