Main Forums > The Roundtable

Paper Mask Efficacy

(1/11) > >>

ConstitutionCowboy:
This morning while powdering my undies with Goldbond powder - because "old man" - I noticed some of the powder filtered through the fabric. Seeing that, I wondered if the powder would filter through one of those blue paper masks, so I tested it and It will.

Now, those powder granules are very fine but many times larger than a virus. Conclusion: If the powder can filter through one of those filters, one of those filters isn't going to contain very many viruses.

Mask efficacy is zero in my observation.

I will admit it took a little bit of tapping on the filter for the powder to drift out in little puffs, but once it started showing up, it puffed with each tap. (Those masks are double layer so it had to penetrate the inside layer before it got to the outside layer. Breathing will likely create a forceful push through the filter carrying viruses aplenty.)

Again, it is like surrounding your house with a chain link fence to keep out mosquitoes.

Woody

dogmush:
So two years in and there are still people that think virus particles travel around on their own?  That to provide antiviral filtration something must stop particles that require a SEM to see?

This is the definition of willfully ignorant.

HankB:

--- Quote from: dogmush on November 26, 2021, 04:06:37 PM ---So two years in and there are still people that think virus particles travel around on their own?  That to provide antiviral filtration something must stop particles that require a SEM to see?

This is the definition of willfully ignorant.

--- End quote ---
Masks are useful but not perfect.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33087517/

Important takeaway:

--- Quote ---Airborne simulation experiments showed that cotton masks, surgical masks, and N95 masks provide some protection from the transmission of infective SARS-CoV-2 droplets/aerosols; however, medical masks (surgical masks and even N95 masks) could not completely block the transmission of virus droplets/aerosols even when sealed.
--- End quote ---

Offering a sarcastic critique without explanation is retarded.

Nick1911:
While I probably wouldn't have been as brutal about it as dogmush... he isn't wrong.

dogmush:

--- Quote from: HankB on November 26, 2021, 06:46:03 PM ---:
Offering a sarcastic critique without explanation is retarded.

--- End quote ---

The first 10 times someone spouted this basic idea on this site, I was nicer, provided critique,  with sources, and verifiable percentages of efficacy for different types of masks.  That info is all presented, politely, in the various COVID threads on this forum, as well as a 10 minute dive into google.

I wasn't being sarcastic in my response. To be that wrong about airborne viral transmission two years into a global pandemic is willful.  You have to avoid learning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version