Author Topic: Twitter and Free Speech  (Read 564 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Twitter and Free Speech
« on: November 30, 2021, 10:59:48 AM »
I didn't want to derail another topic where the road to the end of free speech was mentioned, so am putting this here:

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2021/11/30/twitter-bans-sharing-images-or-videos-of-private-individuals-without-their-consent-but-theyll-make-exceptions-if-youre-special-enough/

The new CEO of Twitter is "protecting people's privacy", but it certainly sounds selective.

When we are notified by individuals depicted, or by an authorized representative, that they did not consent to having their private image or video shared, we will remove it. This policy is not applicable to media featuring public figures or individuals when media and accompanying Tweet text are shared in the public interest or add value to public discourse.

We recognize that there are instances where account holders may share images or videos of private individuals in an effort to help someone involved in a crisis situation, such as in the aftermath of a violent event, or as part of a newsworthy event due to public interest value, and this might outweigh the safety risks to a person.

We will always try to assess the context in which the content is shared and, in such cases, we may allow the images or videos to remain on the service. For instance, we would take into consideration whether the image is publicly available and/or is being covered by mainstream/traditional media (newspapers, TV channels, online news sites), or if a particular image and the accompanying tweet text adds value to the public discourse, is being shared in public interest, or is relevant to the community.

I suspect these "assessments" will pretty much go one way. I repeat that if you want to see the end of free speech, keep letting big tech "curate" what you're allowed to see or talk about, and what is available to see and talk about.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: Twitter and Free Speech
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 11:09:42 AM »
I repeat that if you want to see the end of free speech, keep letting big tech "curate" what you're allowed to see or talk about, and what is available to see and talk about.

That battle has been lost.  Talk to a twenty something.  They are pretty much onboard with the idea that some speech is so bad the government must stop it.  The only disagreement left is which speech, precisely.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 11:26:05 AM »
That battle has been lost.  Talk to a twenty something.  They are pretty much onboard with the idea that some speech is so bad the government must stop it.  The only disagreement left is which speech, precisely.

Very true. I have talked to twenty somethings and agree. A generalization as I have talked to twenty somethings not of that mind, but they are a minority. I like to crack myself up by using words like "retarded" (very common and mild usage in my time) that is now called "the R word" and shocks the heck out of youngsters.

Anyway, social media must die, but it won't. I just don't see any way out. People rely on social media for all their knowledge. It's far too easy to use so people don't bother doing their own research, and given that I fall for social media "headlines as news" myself, even people who see the danger are affected by it. Sort of how I would love to give up Google completely, but that dang navigation is just so easy and convenient, so I allow the other invasiveness that is Google to affect my life.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 11:54:15 AM »
You might want to get comfortable with your new subcontinental Indian overlords ...

https://thezman.com/wordpress/?p=25835
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 12:05:14 PM »
I was thinking about this and recalling the long ago past when I was in college and the "in the know" people were all on Usenet, our little command line corner of the world only accessible by people who had at least some computer knowledge. Sure there were diverse opinions that could result in fights and name calling, but oh so mild compared to what you see on current social media, and nobody...NOBODY was calling for censorship of opposing views.

Then AOL let the Karens beta version access Usenet and were were all disgusted by their whiny and stupid "I'm reporting TOS to a mod!!!" crap because they couldn't figure out they weren't on AOL anymore when they hit the "usenet" button, and the average IQ of usenet dropped in half. I almost miss those days given what current social media is.

I'm sure at some point the Twitters, friendface, etc. will die like myspace and be replaced by something else, but I fear what that will be, as "improvements" seem to have only gone in the "down" direction since usenet.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 04:35:09 PM »
This sounds like an improvement, or it would be if it weren't for the huge grey area in exemptions/enforcement.
A privacy policy like this would have (in theory) protected Nicholas Sandmann.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 05:38:06 PM »
The problem is there are alternatives out there and some people are using them.  There is nothing making people use Twitter.  I get the impression news and entertainment media are the only people still using it.  If they start kicking more people off Twitter or restricting them, it should just drive more traffic to other sites.  People seem to be willing to put up with a lot to keep going with what they are familiar with.

I have slowly been adopting alternative video apps.  Some people I follow are on Rumble.  A few are now on Utreon.  I heard some are on Odysee, but I haven't signed up there.  All of them have phone apps and work well enough.  Utreon allow guns on livestreams which is nice to see since youtube banned that a while back.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 05:48:32 PM »
The problem is there are alternatives out there and some people are using them.  There is nothing making people use Twitter.  I get the impression news and entertainment media are the only people still using it.  If they start kicking more people off Twitter or restricting them, it should just drive more traffic to other sites.  People seem to be willing to put up with a lot to keep going with what they are familiar with.

I have slowly been adopting alternative video apps.  Some people I follow are on Rumble.  A few are now on Utreon.  I heard some are on Odysee, but I haven't signed up there.  All of them have phone apps and work well enough.  Utreon allow guns on livestreams which is nice to see since youtube banned that a while back.

In theory I agree with you, but the "big" big tech guys are just too entrenched. I too, attempt to use alternatives, but those big guys are just so overweighted that it's difficult to use alternatives. Half the time that I do something like search for local contractors or businesses on duck duck go, I end up switching to Google map search to get a larger result plus the google reviews, which I have to say are, unlike Amazon reviews, actually helpful.

Other than using Twitchy to get myself worked up about stuff, I don't touch Twitter at all, and I have no facebook account and only use facebook for some stuff, like up until they recently wised up, my LGS had their main presence on Facebook, so if I wanted to see what was new or on sale, I would have to go to their stupid facebook page.

Just like a lot of the internet gun guys that started with youtube channels still have a great, if not predominate part of their content still on youtube because nobody is going to Rumble because Rumble has such sparse content, which, admittedly, is kind of a "chicken and egg" thing.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 06:14:30 PM »
Third Rate Pundit @bogiestl on Twitter. Haven't really looked at anything else other than MeWe, which seems to be going crazier and krazier...
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 11:16:38 PM »
I have no idea if this is true, but it is funny.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 09:26:59 AM »
I have no idea if this is true, but it is funny.
It would be interesting if it were true.  Unfortunately it isn't.  Only Dorsey resigned.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 09:38:26 AM »
In theory I agree with you, but the "big" big tech guys are just too entrenched. I too, attempt to use alternatives, but those big guys are just so overweighted that it's difficult to use alternatives. Half the time that I do something like search for local contractors or businesses on duck duck go, I end up switching to Google map search to get a larger result plus the google reviews, which I have to say are, unlike Amazon reviews, actually helpful.

Other than using Twitchy to get myself worked up about stuff, I don't touch Twitter at all, and I have no facebook account and only use facebook for some stuff, like up until they recently wised up, my LGS had their main presence on Facebook, so if I wanted to see what was new or on sale, I would have to go to their stupid facebook page.

Just like a lot of the internet gun guys that started with youtube channels still have a great, if not predominate part of their content still on youtube because nobody is going to Rumble because Rumble has such sparse content, which, admittedly, is kind of a "chicken and egg" thing.
A year ago, I would agree, but most of the people I follow on youtube are all mirroring their content on other sites.  And youtube is restricting people more and more.  The biggest thing I have notice lately is alternative sites are now setting up for live streaming.  A lot of youtubers have moved to that as ad revenue is restricted.