Author Topic: Finland prosecuting Christians for quoting Bible and writing booklet.  (Read 508 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
It sounds like the beginnings of a typical Christian film about a persecuted protagonist, except that a Finnish pastor really will be tried over tweeting a Bible verse that supports traditional Christian teachings on marriage and sexual immorality. The pastor, alongside a member of the country’s parliament, will be tried on Jan. 24 for three charges of hate speech for speaking out against homosexuality. A conviction could include both fees and jail time.

https://fism.tv/upcoming-finnish-trial-questions-if-quoting-the-bible-is-a-hate-crime/

also,  https://thefederalist.com/2021/11/23/in-case-with-global-implications-finland-puts-christians-on-trial-for-their-faith/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Pb

• friend
Re: Finland prosecuting Christians for quoting Bible and writing booklet.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 10:44:11 AM »
If homosexual marriage is a right, then opposition to it based on the Bible becomes a literal crime of trying to deprive people of their rights.

This is actually a federal crime in the USA:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/241

This puts that state in direct opposition to Christianity.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 10:53:49 AM »
As my standard response these days is not to trust media, and that author chose to load up the article with a bunch of emotional verbiage, I kinda gotta wonder what is in that 24 pages, exactly.  Notwithstanding that, I think the whole concept of hate speech laws is evil, and nobody should be prosecuted for mere speech (or writing).  the idea of Free Speech as an absolute has sunset in western society though.

If homosexual marriage is a right, then opposition to it based on the Bible becomes a literal crime of trying to deprive people of their rights.

This is actually a federal crime in the USA:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/241

This puts that state in direct opposition to Christianity.

More proof that state sanctioned marriage and religious sanctioned marriage have become two distinct things.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 11:11:57 AM »

More proof that state sanctioned marriage and religious sanctioned marriage have become two distinct things.

Unless they come after churches the same way they came after the wedding industry.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 11:20:53 AM »
As my standard response these days is not to trust media, and that author chose to load up the article with a bunch of emotional verbiage, I kinda gotta wonder what is in that 24 pages, exactly.  Notwithstanding that, I think the whole concept of hate speech laws is evil, and nobody should be prosecuted for mere speech (or writing).  the idea of Free Speech as an absolute has sunset in western society though.

Yes, free speech does seem to be on a decline.  Lots of limits included over time with hate speech being the biggest.  That got redefined to anything that makes some people feel bad.  Of course, hate speech against Christians is likely okay.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 12:07:50 PM »

Those authors are pikers compared to the Covid fear mongers, the climate change fear mongers, the all whites are racist fear mongering, white nationalist fear mongering etc.

They are being prosecuted for writing mean things, show me I'm wrong.

Rhetoric is emotional speech, dialectic is more rational based but nobody pays any attention to dry boring arguments.

The rulers hate bible Christianity, this hatred isn't coming here, it's here already.

I hope all the liberty loving folks freeriding on the coattails of primarily cultural Christian nations enjoy the fruit of the deChristianisation of the western world.

Politics is downstream of culture and the overtly anti-Christ culture of the west will not have the same fruit as the Christian culture allowed to ripen.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 01:09:50 PM »
Ron, for clarification: I was saying the writer of the Federalist article loaded it up with emotional verbiage.  Journalism isn't (or rather shouldn't be) Rhetoric.  I have the same complaint about left wing "journalists".

As far as showing you you are wrong, I can't because I don't know what they said that they are being prosecuted for. I'm just holding the Federalist to the same standards I claim to hold other outlets to.  I'd like to see primary sources before I make an opinion.  Sadly, in this case I'd probably have to learn Finnish as well.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 01:12:15 PM »
Ron, for clarification: I was saying the writer of the Federalist article loaded it up with emotional verbiage.  Journalism isn't (or rather shouldn't be) Rhetoric.  I have the same complaint about left wing "journalists".

As far as showing you you are wrong, I can't because I don't know what they said that they are being prosecuted for. I'm just holding the Federalist to the same standards I claim to hold other outlets to.  I'd like to see primary sources before I make an opinion.  Sadly, in this case I'd probably have to learn Finnish as well.

The Federalist article was written in such a way that I actually looked for another source, I get what you are saying.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 04:23:17 PM »
If only the Federalist author Represented the Science, then we would have nothing to question.   =)

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge