Author Topic: Stuffing (Sort Of) the Turkey  (Read 846 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Stuffing (Sort Of) the Turkey
« on: December 20, 2021, 09:09:07 AM »
I love stuffing. Besides whatever stuffing I put in the turkey, I always put extra in a casserole dish and bake that separately. The separate stuffing always comes out better and with a better texture (including a crust) than the stuffing in the turkey.

So for my Christmas turkey, I am only going to make the stuffing separate. Which leaves me with an empty turkey. I have read of various "alternate stuffing", such as apples and onions that you use just to flavor the turkey vs a stuffing you eat. Do any of you do that? Do you have any recommendations for such "stuffing"? I like the idea of apples, but I'm sure there is good stuff to use that I'm missing. I always lay bacon over the top of the turkey, but maybe I could stuff some inside too?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Stuffing (Sort Of) the Turkey
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 09:51:53 AM »
It cooks better without anything in the cavity.  But if you want to put something in there (that's what she said) maybe a couple of onions cut in half, some parsley, and/or chopped celery.  After they are cooked in the bird, those would all be good mix-ins for your dressing.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 10:04:46 AM »
I have tried the cut up apples, or lemons, or onions, and not noticed much difference.  I just roast the turkey with the cavity empty now.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 10:10:38 AM »
It cooks better without anything in the cavity.

That's another reason for my change. Anything I put in there would be put in loosely versus filling the cavity.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 11:20:48 AM »
"The separate stuffing always comes out better and with a better texture (including a crust) than the stuffing in the turkey."

That's just crazy, evil, evil crazy talk.

But, if you insist on going that route, which is an abomination before man and God, I'd go with a combination of onions, apples, fresh herbs, and cranberries.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 12:58:18 PM »
If no stuffing you could always use an octopus.

https://www.sadanduseless.com/cthulhu-turkey/

bob

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 01:18:55 PM »
Carefully poke a few holes in one side of a can of Guinness, and stuff that in...
Blog under construction

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 09:11:58 AM »
Inside the bird:  butter, salt, and herbs.  And then more butter, salt, and herbs.  Put that under the skin, too.

I put the celery and onions under the bird to keep it off the bottom of the pan since I don't use a rack.  The celery and onions also flavor the drippings which works great to make gravy.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?