Author Topic: When you have to admit common ground with politicians you hate  (Read 907 times)

dogmush

• friend
When you have to admit common ground with politicians you hate
« on: December 08, 2021, 09:10:45 AM »
Well, *expletive deleted*it.  But when she's right, she's right.

Quote from: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
It is absolutely ludicrous that members of Congress can hold and trade individual stock while in office.

The access and influence we have should be exercised for the public interest, not our profit. It shouldn’t be legal for us to trade individual stock with the info we have.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1468398015161552899

Now if only she could pass a law forbidding the holding of stocks for legiscritters.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: When you have to admit common ground with politicians you hate
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 09:12:41 AM »
Well, I'm just going to say...

If she's against it, I'm all for it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 09:28:57 AM »
She's not always wrong.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 09:29:46 AM »
I have to agree with her there as well, but they would just find loopholes. Look at Pelosi and her husband.

There are already ethics rules in place, but I guess elected officials get to bypass them. I wasn't able to buy AVAV stock when I was working because I had insider knowledge of their newest stuff that they were testing with us. I mean, I could have and kept my mouth shut, but I was following the fed.gov ethics rules, which my betters flaunt.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 09:32:20 AM »
I think Congresscritters and their staffers are explicitly exempt from insider trading laws. (They're explicitly exempt from a bunch of other laws, too.   :mad: )

This came up a couple of years ago - there was talk about getting rid of this insider trading exemption, but I don't know if they ever followed through.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 10:14:48 AM »
A blind hog can find an acorn now and again.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 01:46:24 PM »
A blind hog can find an acorn now and again.

Comparing AOC with hogs is really insulting to hogs. :'(
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 02:05:20 PM »
I think Congresscritters and their staffers are explicitly exempt from insider trading laws. (They're explicitly exempt from a bunch of other laws, too.   :mad: )

This came up a couple of years ago - there was talk about getting rid of this insider trading exemption, but I don't know if they ever followed through.
I have heard that disputed, but if not, they are not prosecuted so it is essentially the same thing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 07:24:40 PM »
Quote from: HankB

I have heard that disputed, but if not, they are not prosecuted so it is essentially the same thing.

It all depends on how you spell "implicitly"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 08:21:48 PM »
The access and influence we have should be exercised for the public interest, not our profit.

So far, I can only presume she's profitted immensely from her access and influence. Anyone have a clue what she's done for the public interest?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2021, 02:10:06 AM »
She's not always wrong.

Broken clocks and blind squirrels.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2021, 03:28:29 AM »
Wouldn't this kind of whistle-blowing put her on other Legislators' *expletive deleted*it lists?

This could affect her effectiveness in the job... like in getting Committee assignments and in water-cooler discussions and all the other business and social interactions and like that there kind of stuff.

And even piss off her own party?

I think a few of her puppet strings are broken.

Terry

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."