Author Topic: Judge didn’t think prison would help  (Read 1015 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Judge didn’t think prison would help
« on: December 09, 2021, 11:20:50 AM »
Despite being given a five year sentence, Judge Olu Stevens gave Stewart five years of probation, stating that he didn’t think prison would help Stewart.
Stewart then stopped attending meetings with his probation officer and stopped returning his calls. A bench warrant for his arrest was later issued by the court.

Result: A dead father of five and a police office shot in the face.
This has really got to stop

Man accused of murdering highway maintenance worker, shooting LMPD officer refuses to show up to court again
https://www.wave3.com/2021/12/09/man-accused-murdering-highway-maintenance-worker-shooting-lmpd-officer-refuses-show-up-court-again/
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 12:43:08 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: Judge didn’t think prison would help
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 11:30:04 AM »
2nd record year in a row now for murders in this city.
Feel like I'm living in Chicago.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 11:30:57 AM »
The purpose of prison is NOT to help the criminal. 

Stewart was scheduled to appear in court on December 1st. Stewart, who is being held on a $1 million bond at the Louisville Metro Corrections Department, refused to show up. It’s still unclear why he refused to appear in court and why he wasn’t forced to do so.

That arraignment was then re-scheduled for Dec. 9. Stewart, however, failed to show up again.

Circuit Court Judge Audra Eckerle rescheduled the arraignment for a second time. She stated that she did not want to delay another trial that was starting right after the scheduled arraignment.

Stewart will be forced to attend the next hearing, which has been set for Dec. 14.
Was he out on bond and refusing to show up or in jail and refusing to show up? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 11:36:16 AM »
The purpose of prison is NOT to help the criminal.

Was he out on bond and refusing to show up or in jail and refusing to show up?

Yes, I'm aware of that. Prison is more to get him out of society's hair and hopefully send a message to all parties. Fail on all counts in this.

He was released on probation, didn't show up for the meetings, then shot the father and PO. He's currently in jail refusing to show up in court.

This seems to be a far all too often reoccurring pattern nowadays
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 11:43:51 AM »
We just had two 16 year olds arrested for shooting up a school bus stop killing one student and wounding two more in a drive by.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 11:44:31 AM »
Two, three shootings every day now.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 11:47:25 AM »
This must be fake news. I was assured that the country would be safe now that Trump is out of office and Biden/Harris is (are) in.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 11:56:38 AM »
But jails are HOTSPOTS for covid cases! Keeping criminals locked up is DEADLY!

(yeah, we had that here...)
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 12:13:06 PM »
In nearly every report I see when someone is arrested for a violent attack and/or murder I see the words "released" and/or "probation" in them.

Something has got to give here.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 01:14:54 PM »
But jails are HOTSPOTS for covid cases! Keeping criminals locked up is DEADLY!

(yeah, we had that here...)

I'd be curious to know how much of the recent crime uptick is from panicking progressive politicians over-reacting and clearing out prisons because of covid.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2021, 01:34:29 PM »
 >:D

The prison crowding solution is simple and cheap.

Set up a 640 acre escape-proof area in a moderately wooded area.

Put them in there.

Supply the needed electricity, water and sewer service.  Drop food, guns, ammo, knives, axes, cigarettes in there by airplane.

Supply just enough food for 1800 calories / prisoner / day, enough cigarettes for half a pack / prisoner / day.

No guards, no roll calls, no supervision at all.

Let Darwin take over.

Don't forget to provide shovels so they can bury their dead.

;/ [popcorn]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 02:22:03 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2021, 01:44:01 PM »
. . .
Or a barbecue grill so the long pig will bolster their diet. (No eyerolls, please - just think about the kind of people we'd be putting in that square mile.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2021, 01:48:48 PM »
I'd be curious to know how much of the recent crime uptick is from panicking progressive politicians over-reacting and clearing out prisons because of covid.
It really started before that.  It is just becoming noticeable.  Going easier on juveniles.  Light sentences overall and deals with prosecutors has been going for a while.  Cheap or no bail started being pushed in 2019 (that I heard it) and was implemented mostly then or in early 2020.  Add in Soros sponsored D.A.'s in many major cities and you get an explosion of low level crime that is not punished.  The COVID did generate more early releases, but it also slowed down courts and prosecutions which probably encourage prosecutors to drop charges or offer even better plea deals.  That is the way I see it at least. 

I figure many of the criminals we are hearing about now have been gaming the system for several years and never saw serious consequences. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2021, 01:50:19 PM »
The prison crowding solution is simple and cheap.

Set up a 640 acre escape-proof area in a moderately wooded area.

Put them in there.

Supply the needed electricity, water and sewer service.  Run food, guns, ammo, knives, axes, cigarettes in there by conveyor belt.

Supply just enough food for 1800 calories / prisoner / day, enough cigarettes for half a pack / prisoner / day.

No guards, no roll calls, no supervision at all.

Let Darwin take over.

IMO, if we had the lawmakers willing to create such a place and the judges willing to sentence someone to such a place, we wouldn't have the same problems we have now. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2021, 02:27:21 PM »
It really started before that. 

I knew it started before that, but IIRC, there was a surge of "clearing prisons due to covid" in mostly blue states and am curious if there is a traceable uptick right after that happened.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pb

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2021, 03:50:04 PM »
Rapidly execute anyone convicted of a serious violent crime (armed robbery, attempted murder, murder, etc). 

Violent crime is not taken seriously in the USA.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2021, 03:56:25 PM »
A wood chipper would help.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2021, 05:24:24 PM »
Rapidly execute anyone convicted of a serious violent crime (armed robbery, attempted murder, murder, etc). 

Violent crime is not taken seriously in the USA.

The first step is to remove the social stigma of justified armed/lethal self defense. An armed society is a polite society.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2021, 05:37:04 PM »
The first step is to remove the social stigma of justified armed/lethal self defense. An armed society is a polite society.

Sadly, I don't see that happening, and at this point, shooting the looters with no consequences for the shooter is about all that's going to stop this stuff.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2021, 08:27:59 PM »
In St. Louis, in 2020, if you were not a patient in a nursing facility, you were more likely to die from being shot by one of the criminals.

That said, this year, the numbers are down - I suspect that a lot of the gang war activity culled the ranks.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2021, 05:06:46 AM »
In St. Louis, in 2020, if you were not a patient in a nursing facility, you were more likely to die from being shot by one of the criminals.

That said, this year, the numbers are down - I suspect that a lot of the gang war activity culled the ranks.

That's why I have said, several times, on this board and others, give anyone who wants one, notwithstanding any qualifications, a gun and plenty of ammunition.

And as I usually conclude that modest proposal, "Let Darwin do his work."

And in the fullness of time, when one top kingpin emerges, we go after him for tax evasion.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.