Author Topic: That was so very nice, Thank You from a student  (Read 296 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
That was so very nice, Thank You from a student
« on: December 10, 2021, 02:08:26 PM »
One of our freshly minted doctoral students just stopped by with his parents to tell me Thank You. He said that when he got here it was the first time he'd been away from his home country for any period of time, so lots of worry and plenty of trepidation. He said being greeted with a smile and cheerful "Good morning" and being wished a sincere "Have a good evening/weekend" as he left always made his day just a little better. His parents thanked me profusely for being a welcoming face each day, and that it helped him understand that Americans really could be nice folks. They were on the verge of tears and almost had me there, too.

Since I office at the reception desk I try very hard to be a friendly, welcoming presence. Having that effort rewarded with a genuinely emotional Thank You is about as good as it gets. Helps that I know it helped him, too.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: That was so very nice, Thank You from a student
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 02:16:21 PM »
Good for you!  My wife will have been teaching for 30 years by the end of this school year.  It really makes her day when she gets an email or a visit from a former student about how much they enjoyed her as a teacher.  A few times, they have cited her as the reason they went into teaching themselves.

We could all use more atta boys.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.