Poll

How soon do you think nuclear weapons will be used in conflict again?

Within 10 years
4 (21.1%)
Within 25 years
4 (21.1%)
Within 50 years
3 (15.8%)
By the end of the century
2 (10.5%)
Sometime beyond the end of the century
0 (0%)
Never
5 (26.3%)
I'll explain below
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: The next nuclear conflict  (Read 1008 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
The next nuclear conflict
« on: December 13, 2021, 10:30:10 AM »
Today's cheery topic:

At the end of WWII, the US dropped two nuclear weapons on Japan, causing an end to the war.  It remains the only time that nuclear weapons have been used in conflict.

How long do you think it will be before nuclear weapons are used again in a conflict?

cordex

• Administrator
Re: The next nuclear conflict
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 10:36:43 AM »
Are you including any use by non-state actors?
Fission/fusion bombs only, or do dirty bombs count?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 10:38:37 AM »
Are you including any use by non-state actors?
Fission/fusion bombs only, or do dirty bombs count?

I'm including non-state actors, but only actual nuclear detonations.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 10:39:41 AM »
I voted within 50 years, and my candidates are India vs. Pakistan and someone vs. someone in the Middle East, in terms of state actors.  In terms of non-state actors, who knows?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 10:56:08 AM »
Russia: Putin is something of a loose canon but that pales in comparison what Russia could become if something happened to him.
China: Economy wise they're on more shaky ground than many think. An economic collapse could cause the ruling party to trigger a distraction and/or if the ruling party falls it could trigger another Warlord era in China with nuclear weapons in the hands of some rather unpredictable people and for sale for cold hard cash to the highest bidder. China is the true wildcard here. Honesty I wouldn't put it pass them to set one off in a Chinese city if things get shaky in China then start the it's the US's fault. Also wouldn't put it pass our own MSM to join in.
India/Pakistan: Think they'll keep giving each other the stink eye for awhile unless events in China drag them in.
N.Korea: Seriously don't think Kim Jong-un is that crazy. His sister on the other hand............ If Jong-un dies we have a roll of the dice.
Iran: Yes, they're that crazy.
Israel: See Iran
And then we have SkyNet..........

« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 03:40:41 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 12:09:31 PM »
In my opinion it will be China using nukes against some other country, possibly the US.  They are definitely the wild card to watch.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2021, 12:24:21 PM »
In my opinion it will be China using nukes against some other country, possibly the US.  They are definitely the wild card to watch.

I'm thinking Japan, they still feel they have a score to settle with Japan. They consider us a nuisance, Japan they hate. Plus striking Japan means no immediate  favor in kind return.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2021, 12:56:04 PM »
I think the major nuclear powers now will try to avoid it, but it there were a war and they were losing, the temptation would be there.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2021, 03:02:44 PM »
I think the major nuclear powers now will try to avoid it, but it there were a war and they were losing, the temptation would be there.

I could see us doing it again if we were losing a shooting war with Russia or China.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 03:34:43 PM »
In case of direct conflict between the nuclear powers, whichever one finds themselves on the cusp of defeat will probably use nukes. (This assumes an actual shooting war between them directly, not a proxy war.)

Iran IS that crazy. And a new government in Pakistan could become that crazy. (Remember, the Pakis - at least some of them - were hiding Osama.)

Israel won't accept defeat and being overrun by anyone (which would mean their actual destruction and genocide) without going nuclear.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2021, 03:40:54 PM »
Iran is prepping for another space launch attempt. Wonder how close they are to being able to launch a nuke?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2021, 03:52:31 PM »
Iran is prepping for another space launch attempt. Wonder how close they are to being able to launch a nuke?

I think SpaceX is closer.

From what I've seen their tech looks....OK in propaganda videos but fails to actually work most of the time.  Or it's flat out fake.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2021, 04:35:48 PM »
In case of direct conflict between the nuclear powers, whichever one finds themselves on the cusp of defeat will probably use nukes. (This assumes an actual shooting war between them directly, not a proxy war.)

Iran IS that crazy. And a new government in Pakistan could become that crazy. (Remember, the Pakis - at least some of them - were hiding Osama.)

Israel won't accept defeat and being overrun by anyone (which would mean their actual destruction and genocide) without going nuclear.
I am thinking any war with Russia or China would stop short of invading that country to avoid that risk.  Not sure how they would see invading the US. 

With the increased availability of hypersonic missiles, the temptation to do a surprise strike becomes greater also.  That whole thing could get messy.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2021, 06:24:47 PM »
Iran gets a flyable nuke then they lob it at Tel Aviv if they get the least bit nervous about a preemptive strike from the Israelis.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2021, 06:29:51 PM »
  Not sure how they would see invading the US. 

No need to invade in the near term. They already have Washington DC and the other major cities.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2021, 08:39:26 PM »
If I was Musk, I'd be boosting a few tungsten rods into orbit... Just to have ready.
Blog under construction

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2021, 08:58:16 PM »
China.  Against anyone who allies with Taiwan.  Most likely against US and Japanese Naval assets.

I don't see them pushing the issue during a recession, since that would shut down all the revenue they get from the US.  At least not until they puppetize some more of Africa.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2021, 11:25:40 PM »
I still think my foreign policy would work. Give Japan and Israel nukes. Give them B-2 bombers and an SSBN for all I care. Make sure everyone knows. Bet things would be real quiet. And yeah I know Israel has them and Japan could, but we want parity with any other regional power.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2021, 11:33:50 PM »
I'm slightly encouraged that we have members who believe that nuclear weapons will never again be used in conflict.  I wish I could have that kind of optimism in humanity that we won't eventually end up using them.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2021, 11:44:07 PM »
I think the mostly likely perp for a nuke strike would be from one of the lower tier players. I could see some 3rd world goat herders getting something blackmarket from Iran and taking it by truck or ship and lighting it off in their enemy du jour's yard. 
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2021, 07:55:41 AM »
I think the mostly likely perp for a nuke strike would be from one of the lower tier players. I could see some 3rd world goat herders getting something blackmarket from Iran and taking it by truck or ship and lighting it off in their enemy du jour's yard.

This my thought - zealots. The first world nuclear powers know it's a losing game to strike against each other (though I have to say, I'm not sure that Biden would retaliate, and certainly a "President Sanders" or similar would not).

The zealots don't care about repercussions, and portable devices are kinda their shtick. Iran is an example, but likely not the only one, that would happily supply some Taliban squad with all the fixins.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."