Author Topic: Man kicked off United flight for wearing mask  (Read 821 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Man kicked off United flight for wearing mask
« on: December 17, 2021, 09:33:51 AM »
Well, wearing ladies underwear as a mask, anyway.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/florida-man-united-airlines-flight-womens-underwear-covid-19-mask

Hey, he had his face covered just like they require. Doesn't matter if it was a frilly underthing or an old burlap sack. If it covers the face, it covers the face. This is only one semi-zealous attorney away from growing legs and getting into "What is the legal definition of a mask?" territory.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
Re: Man kicked off United flight for wearing mask
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 01:41:15 PM »
Except that CDC, with Lawyers of their own, included minimum requirements for an acceptable mask in the order, and the thing failed to meet them.

Guy was not as clever as he thought he was.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 04:04:42 PM »
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html

The majority of local healthcare facilities hand the patient a fresh surgical mask upon entry into the building.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 05:47:28 PM »
Except that CDC, with Lawyers of their own, included minimum requirements for an acceptable mask in the order, and the thing failed to meet them.

Only one problem, this isn't the CDC, it's the TSA. The mask requirement is stated in Security Directive SD 1582/84-21-01B (bolding mine):

Mask means a material covering the nose and mouth of the wearer, excluding face shields.4
4A properly worn mask completely covers the nose and mouth of the wearer. A mask should be secured to the
head, including with ties or ear loops. A mask should fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
. Masks
do not include face shields. Masks can be either manufactured or homemade and should be a solid piece of material
without slits, exhalation valves, or punctures.

So long as the device being worn meets that stated criteria, the TSA must, by their own rules, allow it. He could have been wearing a used gym sock held on by duct tape insofar as the stated criteria are concerned. Also, "fit snugly" is a subjective criteria. Since there's nothing to quantify what "snugly" actually means, it is essentially unenforceable.

Is the guy pushing boundaries to prove a point. Sure. No argument there. But by appearances his chosen form of mask did meet the criteria. It just goes to illustrate how piss-poor the requirement parameters actually are.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 06:07:48 PM »
First, I dug up the CDC order that is the power behind the tsa order when this was brought up in the other thread, and both orders link back to CDC requirements for mask that include fitting snugly on the sides and having two layers of fabric. While "snugly" is subjective, the video clearly shows the thong hanging from his ears and flapping away from his chin. No one would call that snug. Thongs also IME, are single layer garments.

So no, he wasn't pushing boundaries, he was clearly past them in an attempt to be clever.  You only get props for that from me if you are actually clever, and he fell well short.

Had he modded the thong to meet the requirements clearly, and forced TSA to deal with it, I'd have chuckled. But he failed.

Here's the CDC order, and minimum mask requirements:
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/masks/mask-travel-guidance.html

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 06:29:44 PM »
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 03:43:43 AM »
If the undies have a pad in them, is it ok then?  [barf] :rofl:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 08:12:05 AM »
If the undies have a pad in them, is it ok then?  [barf] :rofl:

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2021, 04:56:46 PM »
If he had a croche mask, I bet they wouldn't have kicked him off the plane.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2021, 11:07:29 PM »
Oh I'm sure he wasn't the only one to think of something like that.

I agree that the finesse level is important.

But enough finesse and it's no longer a joke at all.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 11:20:03 PM by 230RN »

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2021, 11:29:49 PM »
I know a guy who rigged up a motorcycle helmet with a tube to blow a lung full of vape into - and when ejected, it looked like a dragster with a bottle was doing a purge.
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2021, 07:42:38 AM »
I know a guy who rigged up a motorcycle helmet with a tube to blow a lung full of vape into - and when ejected, it looked like a dragster with a bottle was doing a purge.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2021, 09:06:41 PM »
The reminder recording from my hospital states that a mask must be worn at the appointment, and that the mask can be made of "cloth" that covers the nose & mouth.

No definition of "cloth" is made.

I got by at the hospital with a home-made mask once.  Used a paper towel, some duct tape and a stretch necklace.  No one said a thing.