Author Topic: Retired Generals Warn of Trumpian Civil War  (Read 3145 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Retired Generals Warn of Trumpian Civil War
« on: December 20, 2021, 08:10:57 AM »
I'd be interested in the backgrounds of these retired Generals and what they did when they were in. I see that this "civil war" would only be if Trump or a "Trumpian" lost, and that if a dem lost, there would be no crying, riots, or anything else we see every time a dem loses.

Interesting that they would dis current and former military and recommend "intelligence work" into weeding out wrongthinking members. I also wonder what their definition of "misinformation" is.

https://www.businessinsider.com/retired-army-generals-insurrection-or-civil-war-2024-wapo-2021-12
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Retired Generals Warn of Trumpian Civil War
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 09:11:53 AM »
I also wonder what their definition of "misinformation" is.

Any opionion that disagrees with theirs, of course.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 09:35:26 AM »
All of them are political generals.  I would bet that few of them actually did much "commanding" in their last years of service, regardless of their positions.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 09:57:04 AM »
In the event that things so sideways, and the military gets pointed at Americans, I expect that the officer class (at least the ones "following orders") will be immediately decimated. In order to succeed, they would have to bring in foreign troops - which damn sure wouldn't sit well with a few hundred million folks...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 10:00:23 AM »
Butter Bars with Stars
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 10:07:56 AM »
In the event that things so sideways, and the military gets pointed at Americans,

In this case, these three guys seem to be afraid that rather than turn against Americans, many in the military would "turn against" the military.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 11:44:42 AM »
In this case, these three guys seem to be afraid that rather than turn against Americans, many in the military would "turn against" the military.

Many were of a like mind when I was active.  We talked about something like that from time to time and most said they wouldn’t kill fellow Americans because a politician told them to do so.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 11:57:58 AM »
Only tangentially related, but 10 or 15 years ago when the REMFs were eager to prosecute troops in the Middle East in case they shot back more than the Rules of Engagement allowed or hurt the enemy's feelings, some officers and DOD bureaucrats were lamenting the difficulty they had in gathering evidence to prosecute some cases because other soldiers wouldn't provide the testimony they wanted - they had more loyalty to their fellow team mates than they did to the command structure back stateside.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 06:20:11 PM »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 08:51:43 PM »
^ "Geez - Also related. These all must be this week's talking points marching orders to the MSM."

But you're being "paranoid."

Me:
There is no proof without evidence.
There is no evidence without investigation.
There is no investigation without suspicion.
But suspicion without proof is paranoid.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 09:34:45 PM »
Only tangentially related, but 10 or 15 years ago when the REMFs were eager to prosecute troops in the Middle East in case they shot back more than the Rules of Engagement allowed or hurt the enemy's feelings, some officers and DOD bureaucrats were lamenting the difficulty they had in gathering evidence to prosecute some cases because other soldiers wouldn't provide the testimony they wanted - they had more loyalty to their fellow team mates than they did to the command structure back stateside.
And they wonder why guys had so much stress and PTSD while over there. 

An old boss had a son over there at one time.  He apparently had an incident where some guys drove their vehicle into the front of their truck and tried to shoot at them, but didn't have the angle to shoot into the cab.  His son apparently ran through a 100 round belt in his SAW shooting back.  It all took a minute or so, but he was chewed out and interrogated by his commanders for 8 or 10 hours about shooting too much ammo and such.  That is the story I was told.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 09:37:24 PM »
In the event that things so sideways, and the military gets pointed at Americans, I expect that the officer class (at least the ones "following orders") will be immediately decimated. In order to succeed, they would have to bring in foreign troops - which damn sure wouldn't sit well with a few hundred million folks...
I recall what happened after Jan 6.  They brought in a bunch of national guard troops to surround the capital.  Then we heard about them vetting the troops for "extremism". 

If things got that sideways, I figure the people in charge would be working overtime trying to weed out anyone they thought might not follow orders.  I pray we never reach that point.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 09:43:16 PM »
I can't remember where I heard it, but someone was talking about the blue states trying to split off and form their own country.  I guess they thought the R's would take over after the mid-terms and the blue states would be the first to try to split the country. 

I really can't see them do that as there would be no one to bail them out of their debts.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2021, 01:03:41 AM »
They'll just print more money, and sell off assets...
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2021, 09:26:43 AM »
They'll just print more money, and sell off assets...
Instead of electing a career politician, the new Blue State President could be a businessman, perhaps Eddie Lampert . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2021, 09:35:33 AM »
I recall what happened after Jan 6.  They brought in a bunch of national guard troops to surround the capital.  Then we heard about them vetting the troops for "extremism". 

If things got that sideways, I figure the people in charge would be working overtime trying to weed out anyone they thought might not follow orders.  I pray we never reach that point.

They thought so highly of their instant activated security force they made them sleep in parking garages, hardly any toilets and no showers, and fed them MREs…and justified it by saying “well this is what they train for so they like it!”

“Out of touch” isn’t even an adequate phrase.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2021, 09:44:01 AM »

They will only bring in de jure foreign troops after they've made de jure American troops into de facto foreigners. Like they did with the voters. They turned American voters against America, and are now enfranchising aliens. We can expect the fully fledged foreign troops once "our" troops have been thoroughly turned against their putative country.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2021, 09:48:55 AM »
History has shown us that perfectly normal, functioning humans can be made to commit crimes against humanity with the right application of pressure, indoctrination and force.  I'm suspect every military is susceptible to this.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2021, 10:50:50 AM »
They will only bring in de jure foreign troops after they've made de jure American troops into de facto foreigners. Like they did with the voters. They turned American voters against America, and are now enfranchising aliens. We can expect the fully fledged foreign troops once "our" troops have been thoroughly turned against their putative country.

If "the powers that be" DO somehow manage to subvert the US military and turn them against the American people - how are they going to protect military families?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2021, 11:16:32 AM »
No civil war, just be folks on the internet calling each other names and armchair warriors talking about voting with bullets but never leaving the comfort of the stained lazy-boy and their bologna sandwiches.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2021, 11:49:25 AM »
History has shown us that perfectly normal, functioning humans can be made to commit crimes against humanity with the right application of pressure, indoctrination and force.  I'm suspect every military is susceptible to this.
Stuff like that is never 100%.  There would likely be a split regardless.  However, yes, there would be some that would do it. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2021, 01:09:46 PM »
How many active IRA shooters were there when they basically played the Brits into a standstill?
Blog under construction

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2021, 01:20:32 PM »
How many active IRA shooters were there when they basically played the Brits into a standstill?

From Wiki:
The bulk of attacks from 1977 onwards were the responsibility of a second type of unit, the ASU [active service unit]. To improve security and operational capacity these ASUs were smaller, tight-knit cells, usually consisting of five to eight members, for carrying out armed attacks. The ASU's weapons were controlled by a quartermaster under the direct control of the IRA leadership. By the late 1980s and early 1990s, it was estimated that the IRA had roughly 300 members in ASUs and approximately 450 serving in supporting roles

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2021, 01:21:22 PM »
No civil war, just be folks on the internet calling each other names and armchair warriors talking about voting with bullets but never leaving the comfort of the stained lazy-boy and their bologna sandwiches.
I agree for the vast majority.  Even so, it wouldn't surprise me to see more political riots, individual attacks, and killings by the partisan fringes.