Author Topic: Whole hog!  (Read 914 times)

JonnyB

• friend
Whole hog!
« on: December 03, 2021, 10:08:57 PM »
I brought home a whole hog this afternoon. My part-time employer (I drive a semi two days a week) also feeds thousands of pigs, and had some “culls” that can’t go to regular processing plants. This one had a large belly rupture but was otherwise ok.

I went to the barn with my tractor, a chain and a sharp knife. They had the critter separated and in a small pen. Once we were ready, it got a captive bolt in the brain (like a stud driver for concrete nails), we lifted it by a hind leg, and I cut the jugular to bleed it.

After that, I rolled it in the bucket, drove home, then gutted and skinned it. It’s hanging in the cold part of my shop; we’ll cut and grind it this weekend.

Son 2 wants to try makin’ bacon, so he gets the belly. He will probably get the tenderloin and half of the ribs, also. Son 1 will get a boneless loin, the rest of the ribs and some roast. We’ll keep a loin, some roasts and we’ll split the ground meat three ways. Only the ribs will have bones; all else is boneless.

Both sons have pellet grills and are avid carnivores.

Sister-in-law has an electric grinder that we’re picking up Saturday morning, so grinding will be relatively simple.

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Whole hog!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 10:46:25 PM »
sausage spice recipe?
Blog under construction

JonnyB

• friend
Re: Whole hog!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 11:14:11 PM »
No spice. We prefer plain ground pork. Fried like a hamburger patty, I call it “pork chop on a bun”.

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!