Author Topic: The Woman in the Current Verizon Commercials  (Read 2371 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Woman in the Current Verizon Commercials
« on: December 21, 2021, 10:12:08 AM »
So I usually ignore this stuff, but the woman (apparently a famous actress that I've never heard of) in the latest Verizon commercials irritates me to no end. Not just the way she talks, but the way she walks. It (again, out of the ordinary for me) irritated me so much that I googled "woman who walks funny in Verizon commercial", and there are pages on this.  :rofl: :rofl:

Anyway, I'm glad I wasn't just being a lone curmudgeon.  :laugh:

Some of the comments in the various Reddit links are hilarious.

https://www.distractify.com/p/kate-mckinnon-walk-verizon-commercial

https://www.reddit.com/r/CommercialsIHate/comments/q8d1rm/i_hate_to_keep_piling_on_but_jeez_i_see_a_new/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: The Woman in the Current Verizon Commercials
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 10:16:23 AM »
Walks like

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 11:56:44 AM »
Not really human?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 03:49:31 PM »
Oh, the thingies that annoy us.

There's a jewelry store OTA advertisement where the lady announcer pronounces it joolery.  I couldn't believe it and have listened to it very closely and despite moderate presbycusis, it's definitely joolery.  Maybe I'll <search engine> that to see what's up.

It irks me the same as when  I hear February pronounced Feb yoo ary.

I do know that occasionally advertisers stick gross errors in just to leverage attention and memories.

I learned about this a long time ago when I used to listen to the KBOL radio station overnight in Boulder and a new announcer kept mispronouncing composers' names in the deep AM programming.

When I called, I actually got the announcer and he admitted to deliberately mispronouncing names just to see what reaction there would be at that time of the morning.  I later heard him over the air again that night mis pronouncing Beee- thof`- en and Moe-zzart, and, G-d help us, "Chow- pinn.

Oh, and Ray`- vil.

I never followed up on that, but the principal had been established in my mind.

Tarry, 237FN
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 04:44:47 PM by 230RN »

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 05:14:59 PM »
LOL I said the exact same thing when I seen the Verizon commercial for the 4th time today

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 06:42:09 PM »
It irks me the same as when  I hear February pronounced Feb yoo ary.

Ditto.

And how to pronounce the name of the second month came up not too long ago on a writers' forum -- in the discussion area about words, no less -- and someone posted that it's not pronounced "Feb-yoo-ary," and several people immediately asked, 'How else would you pronounce it?"

I responded with, "Like it's spelled -- with an 'R', as in Feb-roo-ary."

They ALL told me I was wrong. Buncha flippin' millennial twits.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 07:41:44 PM »
But you sexist pigs love it when John Cleese walks funny.  =D

Does she struggle with heels, or is it because she was trying to walk funny in one (or more) particular shots? I never thought I'd be looking up clips of Kate McKinnon walking in heels, but if you wish to join me:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kate+mckinnon+emmy+awards

I'm still not sure.

(apparently a famous actress that I've never heard of)

If you've never heard of her, I hope you weren't one of those people going all in on how bad the girl ghostbusters movie was.  :P Or one of those people who complains about SNL not being funny (she's been there almost a decade).

My guess is the goofy walk is probably just part of her goofy antics for a goofy commercial. I kinda like the commercials, but maybe that's just because I liked her to begin with. Yes, her politics is as backwards as the rest of our betters, and the Hillary Clinton piano number was embarrassing, but she's good at her job.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 08:02:31 PM »
Co.....mer........cials?

Is that like when Netflix shows you a little clip of the show you selected?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 08:10:00 PM »

If you've never heard of her, I hope you weren't one of those people going all in on how bad the girl ghostbusters movie was.  :P Or one of those people who complains about SNL not being funny (she's been there almost a decade).

Never saw the bad girls ghostbusters and the first and last time I watched Saturday Night Live was in 1978.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 09:24:38 PM »
Co.....mer........cials?

Is that like when Netflix shows you a little clip of the show you selected?
It is that crap that youtube makes you skip periodically. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 09:40:49 PM »
Never saw the bad girls ghostbusters and the first and last time I watched Saturday Night Live was in 1978.

I never saw the femme Ghost Busters and once I saw John Belushi parody Joe Cocker on SNL I knew it had peaked and would never reach that level again so I seldom watched it again. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmjWO7oY8LU

bob

« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 12:28:18 AM by BobR »

230RN

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2021, 03:22:28 AM »
Looks to me like she can't "stride" in heels and has to keep her knees bent. Something wrong with her ankles so that she can't "point" her toes?

I'm amazed when I think about this:

I guess it's like a contortionist, who can train joints to do impossible things.

Or like doing splits.  Yikes !

Somehow reminds me of the ever-popular Christmas ballet "The Nutcracker."  Oweee ow ow ow ow.

She could also use some elocution lessons, though that could be due simply to my age.

Terry, 230RN 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2021, 08:06:45 AM »
Ditto.

And how to pronounce the name of the second month came up not too long ago on a writers' forum -- in the discussion area about words, no less -- and someone posted that it's not pronounced "Feb-yoo-ary," and several people immediately asked, 'How else would you pronounce it?"

I responded with, "Like it's spelled -- with an 'R', as in Feb-roo-ary."

They ALL told me I was wrong. Buncha flippin' millennial twits.

Whether right or wrong, I have never heard it pronounced as anything but "febuary", and that is how I learned to pronounce it (at school, not home, as my parents were not yet fully fluent in English). I qualify as an old fart, so it's certainly not a millennial thing. Perhaps it's a regional thing.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2021, 08:26:16 AM »
Well, if the R is silent, why not the B?   Fe-yoo-ery.

Or the F and the e?  Januay, Youy, Mach, Apil...

I'm curious next Feb 2022 as to how the perfeshinil announcers pronounce it.

Te  y, 230 N

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2021, 09:19:06 AM »
Well, if the R is silent, why not the B?   Fe-yoo-ery.

Or the F and the e?  Januay, Youy, Mach, Apil...

I'm curious next Feb 2022 as to how the perfeshinil announcers pronounce it.

Te  y, 230 N

We pronounce lots of words "correctly" with a letter that is silent, but February is more about dissimilation. Many other words fall into this realm, as exampled below. I say "surprise" but many people say "suprize" because of dissimilation. Different people's brains work differently. As an example, an Asian immigrant might have an IQ of 150, but still cannot pronounce certain English words "correctly" because their brain was trained to a different reference.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/54846/whats-correct-pronunciation-february

230RN

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2021, 07:09:51 PM »
Well, with an IQ of only 150, what do you expect?

230RN

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2021, 10:34:28 AM »
Well there certainloy are inconsistencies in pronunciation.  I think it was G.B. Shaw who thought of the word "ghoti" for "fish."

I was wondering if you were actually "taught" Febuary or it was just the common (incorrect) pronunciation in your class and nobody actually taught it that way.

I'll grant that.  I remember being a bit amazed when I visited Georgia and discovered that the spelling for "recipe," as in cooking, was "receipt" in some areas.

Go figure.

Kinda makes me wonder if Italian kids pronounce spaghetti "pisghetti."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2021, 03:14:00 PM »
  I remember being a bit amazed when I visited Georgia and discovered that the spelling for "recipe," as in cooking, was "receipt" in some areas.

Go figure.

I think that's one of those old-fashioned speech patterns that are sometimes preserved in more isolated areas. I first noticed the recipe/receipt connection in a local history exhibit at the Missouri History Museum in St. Louis. Also, I was watching Downton Abbey a few weeks ago, and one of the characters said receipt when she was talking about a recipe. I don't know if that's still current in the UK, or if it was something of the period.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2021, 03:23:05 PM »
I was wondering if you were actually "taught" Febuary or it was just the common (incorrect) pronunciation in your class and nobody actually taught it that way.

Given that it has been in common use in American English for nearly two centuries, I would venture to guess that it has been taught that way for a good long while. I don't believe I've actually ever heard someone say FebRuary.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2021, 03:49:04 PM »
Given that it has been in common use in American English for nearly two centuries, I would venture to guess that it has been taught that way for a good long while. I don't believe I've actually ever heard someone say FebRuary.

Correct.  I was brought up (there... central Ohio) with the "r" being silent.  Those who actually pronounced it were considered as having an affectation.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2021, 04:19:59 PM »
Correct.  I was brought up (there... central Ohio) with the "r" being silent.  Those who actually pronounced it were considered as having an affectation.

=D
I also like to pronounce the H in wheat.
 =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2021, 04:52:45 PM »
Damn she's ugly. Oh well, working on three years of the DVD TV not being hung up and I think since 2010 of no cable or streaming service in the house. Working on my John Prine life goals.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2021, 04:54:23 PM »

Some folks here in NC pronounce the "L" in salmon.  Not sure why that is.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2021, 04:57:40 PM »
Some folks here in NC pronounce the "L" in salmon.  Not sure why that is.

Then you have that whole Northeast thing where you drive youha kah from New Yawk to Boston so you can eat youha clam chowda.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2021, 09:39:34 PM »
I think that's one of those old-fashioned speech patterns that are sometimes preserved in more isolated areas. I first noticed the recipe/receipt connection in a local history exhibit at the Missouri History Museum in St. Louis. Also, I was watching Downton Abbey a few weeks ago, and one of the characters said receipt when she was talking about a recipe. I don't know if that's still current in the UK, or if it was something of the period.
I first came across that receipt thing in Georgia.  I even bought a cookbook with "receipts" for "recipes" in the title for proof.

On February, I yield to acclamation.