Author Topic: Pentagon is going all out on extremism  (Read 1232 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Pentagon is going all out on extremism
« on: December 21, 2021, 06:48:57 PM »
So much so that if you “like” a post or page that they deem “extremism”, you can be flagged as such.

https://coffeeordie.com/pentagon-extremism-rules/?fbclid=IwAR2lZyCpbRjh955mRdOfNkyUo8N6Xu36W4C6CLESWxVezN0Vvz15RDHZqMQ

Guess I’ll need to watch what I like on Farcebook

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Pentagon is going all out on extremism
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 07:15:58 PM »
We can't have any of this wrongthink, you need to report to room 101.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 07:25:36 PM »
We can't have any of this wrongthink, you need to report to room 101.

Is that what gulags are called now?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 08:09:05 PM »
Anybody have an actual  policy memo?  Reg? EXORD? Even a Warning  Order?

Me neither, and I have a .mil email account and am on command distros.

I'll let you know if this turns into a thing.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 10:18:43 PM »
Be careful asking...
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 10:51:34 PM »
Be careful asking...

^ <wry grin>

I have no doubt there's an operator assigned to "that guy who uses the no left turn sign for his avatar."

Paranoia?

Exactly.

Hi, there.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 11:14:35 PM »
Dude, if you're working out of that big place here in St. Louis, gimme a yell sometime. I'll buy the first round.
Blog under construction

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 07:58:34 AM »
I'm completely ignorant when it comes to DoD rule making and enforcement, but is DoDI 1325.06 not binding or formal absent additional instruction?

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 09:25:13 AM »

Me neither, and I have a .mil email account and am on command distros.

I'll let you know if this turns into a thing.

Hasn’t hit my .gov email yet either. 

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2021, 09:35:29 AM »
I'm completely ignorant when it comes to DoD rule making and enforcement, but is DoDI 1325.06 not binding or formal absent additional instruction?

I it’s current print, no.  But the memo did require this:
Review and update DoD Instruction 1325.06, “Handling Protest, Extremist, and Criminal Gang Activities Among Members of the Armed Forces,” to clarify the definition of prohibited extremist activity. Even with the new language, though, the Pentagon will not create a list of specifically outlawed groups.

Until that’s done, not much can be enforced.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 10:49:31 AM »

Very briefly, and skipping some nuance, no it doesn't.

DODI's set policy for the department, but it's up to Commanders to actually write the orders and memos.

Until you get something with a signature block that says "So and So, Commanding" it's not official.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 12:05:54 AM »
I it’s current print, no.  But the memo did require this:
Review and update DoD Instruction 1325.06, “Handling Protest, Extremist, and Criminal Gang Activities Among Members of the Armed Forces,” to clarify the definition of prohibited extremist activity. Even with the new language, though, the Pentagon will not create a list of specifically outlawed groups.

Until that’s done, not much can be enforced.

So does this mean there is no way if clicking "like" on a post will destroy your career or not?

They can just decide to screw over anyone they want by spontaneously deciding a group you liked is an extremist group?  Am I reading this correctly?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2021, 09:15:46 AM »
"Extremist Activities" is pretty clearly defined in DOD policy, and included in that DODI as a reference.  The DOD doesn't just decide groups are extremist willy nilly, nor does it use the SPLC list.  Additionally, in my experience, soldiers that have run afoul of the policy by internet postings (as opposed to going to meetings or providing material support) are given a warning, and some more training on what is acceptable for a service member and what is not.  JAG actually takes the 1A pretty seriously.  It's much more common for a young O3 commander to be told "No, your soldiers can do that" than soldiers to get hemmed up.

Again, I have seen nothing official from this change come down the Chain yet, so I suspect lawyers are *very* carefully going over the verbiage of the policy memo.  We'll see.

For Reference:

Quote from:  DODI 1325.06, Change 2, Enclosure 3
(1) Extremist Activities. The term “extremist activities” means:

(a) Advocating or engaging in unlawful force, unlawful violence, or other illegal means to deprive individuals of their rights under the United States Constitution or the laws of the United States, including those of any State, Commonwealth, Territory, or the District of Columbia, or any political subdivision thereof.

(b) Advocating or engaging in unlawful force or violence to achieve goals that are political, religious, discriminatory, or ideological in nature.

(c) Advocating, engaging in, or supporting terrorism, within the United States or abroad.

(d) Advocating, engaging in, or supporting the overthrow of the government of the United States, or any political subdivision thereof, including that of any State, Commonwealth, Territory, or the District of Columbia, by force or violence; or seeking to alter the form of these governments by unconstitutional or other unlawful means (e.g., sedition).

(e) Advocating or encouraging military, civilian, or contractor personnel within the DoD or United States Coast Guard to violate the laws of the United States, or any political subdivision thereof, including that of any State, Commonwealth, Territory, or the District of Columbia, or to disobey lawful orders or regulations, for the purpose of disrupting military activities (e,g., subversion), or personally undertaking the same.

(f) Advocating widespread unlawful discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, or sexual orientation.

Most recently "D" is what get's people hemmed up.  One must be careful of what one says in public.  FWIW, I haven't seen anyone get in real trouble that didn't explicitly call for violence to change something.  I have seen a few folks get in trouble over it though.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2021, 04:56:20 PM »
Our Federal government appears to be in violation of the above, engaged in extremist activities on many fronts  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2021, 09:10:24 PM »
So much so that if you “like” a post or page that they deem “extremism”, you can be flagged as such.

Guess I’ll need to watch what I like on Farcebook

It's to late, I already told them you have a poster of the original "Red Dawn" movie in your garage
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2021, 08:22:04 AM »
Company I work for already has a pretty strict social media policy. I'd not be surprised if they were to update it to include this.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2021, 09:05:27 AM »
I'm still on vacation, but I had to log in to my .gov computer and do some stuff so I checked e-mail and the policy letters.  No changes in our social media policy up to the three star level so far.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2021, 09:21:18 AM »
I'm still on vacation, but I had to log in to my .gov computer and do some stuff so I checked e-mail and the policy letters.  No changes in our social media policy up to the three star level so far.

It's a double secret probation policy!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 09:36:36 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2021, 09:56:42 AM »
It's to late, I already told them you have a poster of the original "Red Dawn" movie in your garage
Damnit man…… [ar15]

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2021, 11:04:50 AM »
It's a double secret probation policy!

Uh huh.

Well the good news is you can't get in trouble for a secret policy. Still wouldn't suggest sharing a post from stormfront.