Author Topic: Sausage Sunday  (Read 953 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Sausage Sunday
« on: November 12, 2023, 01:41:44 PM »
I seem to find myself with plenty of venison. Shot a big doe first time out and a 3.5 year old 8 point recently. I did 20 pounds of breakfast sausage in 1 pound vinyl tubes.
And 20 pounds of summer sausage. It will finish in the smoker tomorrow.
Over thanksgiving I’ll probably do another batch.
My crossbow blew up Thursday and parts are ordered so I’m not hunting for awhile. I still have a firearm tag good for 4 days starting 1 week after thanksgiving. Not sure how hard I’ll hunt. All the deer are big and packing a lot of fat this year.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Sausage Sunday
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 06:44:03 AM »
I've heard rumors that you're really into sausage fests... :rofl:

Friends of mine used to make the freaking best venison summer sausage.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 07:56:04 AM »
Some of the best summer sausage I ever made was a few years ago, I made a mix of 50% venison and 50% pork plus spices and cure stuffed into 2# collagen tubes. I let them sit in the fridge for a couple days to bloom, I smoked them to 165 F, dunked them in ice water, and basically forgot about them for a month in my basement fridge. They ended up shrinking about 20% when I remembered then, but they were a nice flavorful dried sausage. I cryo-sealed each tube, froze them, and enjoyed them over the next year and a half.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 02:01:56 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 11:39:08 AM »
I use 6# pork shoulder with 14# venison and load 1# casings. I have a 1/2hp #8 grinder with a foot switch and a stuffing kit.
I take mine from the smoker to an ice bath and after a couple days I vac seal and freeze.
Everybody seems to like it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.