Author Topic: Looks like I'm staying home for Thanksgiving this year...  (Read 2485 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Looks like I'm staying home for Thanksgiving this year...
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2023, 08:57:06 AM »
I have a cabinet smoker, I can put a pan on the rack underneath my bird to catch any drippings.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2023, 09:05:50 AM »
Yep, you can certainly catch the drippings, but they're never going to be the same as when they come from the same pan that the turkey is roasted in. In a wide, shallow pan the drippings themselves roast and brown. I've never been able to replicate that in a smaller, deeper pan when I've caught the drippings.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2023, 09:42:18 AM »
Another 18.5 lb. turkey successfully roasted in the Oster 22 quart roaster oven. There was very little turkey left after feeding 14 people.  I have to remember next year that the Oster is much faster than the oven.  About two hours from ambient to 167 degrees and the entire bird was juicy and moist.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2023, 11:26:55 AM »
Day before Thanksgiving around 2009 or so my Mom was baking pies when the bottom unit in the oven burned out. About 3 minutes after Lowe's closed.

Brother and I managed to jury rig the upper element to the bottom (NOT a great solution, but it worked) and we at least had some oven capacity, enough for Mom to finish the pies, but we were really worried about our ability to cook dinner.

Mom, Brother and I were sitting in the living room sort of talking about what we could do when my Sister-in-Law walks in from the kitchen holding the Walmart circular.

They had just moved into a new place and it didn't have a stove yet, and she said to my Brother "We should get one of these GE roasters that Walmart has on sale" to use until the new stove is delivered.

My Brother and I looked at each other. Never even said a word, just complete realization. Stood up at the same time and headed out the door.

Something like $35 for an 18-quart model. Easily fit the roughly 20 pound bird we had. Cooked it brilliantly, except that it didn't really brown the drippings (so gravy was kind of bland) and the skin didn't get nice and crispy.

We cooked the birds that way every holiday until Mom died in 2017.

I'd have one of those, but I really don't have the need for one and I really don't have the place to keep one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2023, 11:34:22 AM »
Oh, and the day after Thanksgiving I took my Mom to Lowes and bought her a new stove for Christmas. The stove that burned out was the one that had been in the house when Mom and Dad moved in, the one Grandma and Grandpa had gotten new around 1990. It was never a very good stove and Mom didn't like it much.

The LOVED the glass top Whirlpool that she picked out.