Author Topic: Tomahawk Steak  (Read 841 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Tomahawk Steak
« on: December 24, 2021, 02:27:42 PM »
Are tomahawk steaks (bone in ribeye) available where you guys live?

Embarrassingly for a meat eater, I have to admit I was unaware of the cut until today. I was just on a Christmas video call with one of my kraut relatives and it's what they're cooking up for Christmas Eve. It looked great.

Anyway, I don't recall ever seeing the cut in CA or here in Idaho, so was curious if it is more popular and available in other parts of the country.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Tomahawk Steak
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 03:28:02 PM »
I've seen them.  It looks like a fancy way to sell you a lot of bone for ribeye price
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 03:39:15 PM »
I've seen them.  It looks like a fancy way to sell you a lot of bone for ribeye price

Yeah, when I did the search, one of the links was Omaha steaks where they sold them in packs of two for $200. Yikes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 03:59:02 PM »
I have not seen one in the retail channel. I have seen them on the specials menu twice at a couple of Seattle steakhouses.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 05:02:15 PM »
Fresh Thyme (I hate that name but I like the store) sells them.  They look cute but that's a *lot* of bone.  They weren't nearly that expensive but were more than I wanted to pay.  BTW, I like bone on a steak, it makes the meat taste better, then you get to gnaw on the bone.  But the meat hanging way down not in contact with the meat does no good.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 06:26:57 PM »

Yep, I've seen them for sale at HyVee. I always laugh because they found a way to get someone to pay a lot of money for a rib bone.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 06:36:22 PM »
I saw them just the other day at the meat counter in an Albertsons in Las Vegas. It was in one of the nicer sections of town. I didn't check price but it looked good.

I have often bought from their meat counter when stuff is on sale. I would buy a New Your strip and Filet Mignon for quite a bit cheaper than they were charging for a Porterhouse. I usually buy a Porterhouse and I get the NY side and the wife gets the filet. They deconstruct it for me and keep the bone for about 1/4 to 1/3 less than the whole thing. As a plus it is a little bit thicker at the meat counter.

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 11:03:49 AM »
Yes. I have seen them in Sam’s and also at a couple restaurants.

As above it’s a lot of bone that looks fancy. I just get a standard ribeye or NY Strip and I prefer it to be from a good steakhouse where the fat is perfect and the steak has amazing flavor. Cheap steaks don’t cut it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!