Author Topic: IRS: Report stolen property as income  (Read 1973 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: IRS: Report stolen property as income
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2021, 11:39:20 AM »
It was bugging the hell out of me so I gazoogled "defunct catalog stores". The one by me was Best (as opposed to Best Buy).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2021, 01:57:27 PM »
Wow. I'd forgotten about Best...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2021, 02:17:10 PM »
There was a Best store in Houston.  Their catalog was pretty cool back in the 80's.  When I was little I got a digital watch (pretty sure it was from them).  It only displayed when you pushed a button.  Of course, I burned the battery up pretty fast as I kept pushing the button. 

The DAK catalog was another one we got a lot. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2021, 03:50:53 PM »
There was a Best store in Houston.  Their catalog was pretty cool back in the 80's.  When I was little I got a digital watch (pretty sure it was from them).  It only displayed when you pushed a button.  Of course, I burned the battery up pretty fast as I kept pushing the button. 

The DAK catalog was another one we got a lot. 

I wonder if that was the Texas Instruments model.  I don't think I had trouble with the battery, mine gave out when the wrist band broke.   They had some kind of goomizigah band somehow molded in to the watch itself which could not be replaced.

Sat around in a drawer keeping good time until I finally got in a desk-cleaning frenzy and tossed it out.

I guess while the circuitry had a tiny battery drain the LED display pulled a lot of current, comparatively.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2021, 04:50:19 PM »
I remember Service Merchandise and Best Products . . . didn't Best used to be LaBelle's?

I remember S&H Green Stamp and Plaid Stamp catalog showrooms, too. One of these was in the basement of a Wieboldt's department store.

And . . . back when I was very young . . .  I also remember a store to redeem Raleigh coupons. (Raleigh was a cigarette brand my parents smoked.)

As far as digital watches go . . . the first one I remember was the Hamilton Pulsar, an LED watch. Short battery life if you checked the time frequently. A little later on, the "Sensor Trilite" came out, an LCD watch with a tritium backlight. Pricey for its day, but it showed the time continuously.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2022, 11:44:27 PM »
S & H Green stamps, Top Value stamps, Circuit City, Kmart, Venture, Sears, etc.  (plays "Taps" softly)
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2022, 06:01:08 PM »
S & H Green stamps, Top Value stamps, Circuit City, Kmart, Venture, Sears, etc.  (plays "Taps" softly)
Montgomery Ward, Comp USA, Woolworths, The Sharper Image, Arthur Treacher's, Radio Shack, Kresge's - either gone or changed so much (not for the better) as to be unrecognizable.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2022, 06:11:29 PM »
I knew a bartender about 25-30 years ago who collected Marlboro packs. Literally ALL of his camping, etc., gear had Marlboro logos on it.
Blog under construction

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2022, 06:37:54 PM »
S&H stamps was a big thing at our house when I was a kid. I also remember the folks collecting the Raleigh coupons. The last S&H outfit that I remember was in the early '80s when I my boat was at Mare Island Shipyard at Vallejo, CA. It was next door to the AT&T store where we bought our first phone after we got married.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2022, 01:12:09 PM »
Montgomery Ward, Comp USA, Woolworths, The Sharper Image, Arthur Treacher's, Radio Shack, Kresge's - either gone or changed so much (not for the better) as to be unrecognizable.

Thanks for the additional memories.  Monkey Ward reminded me of Western Auto. IIRC, didn't Kresge transition into Kmart?
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2022, 01:57:28 PM »
Here in the Seattle area, the home-grown catalog showroom store was Jafco, named after the founder, Sidney Jaffe.  They were bought out by Modern Merchandising in 1972, and then Best Products acquired them in 1982. All of them in Washington closed in the late 90's. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2022, 12:09:43 AM »
I was a Sr. line mechanic for Monkey Warts once upon a time MANY years ago in the 80s. :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2022, 07:24:26 PM »
S&H stamps was a big thing at our house when I was a kid. I also remember the folks collecting the Raleigh coupons. The last S&H outfit that I remember was in the early '80s when I my boat was at Mare Island Shipyard at Vallejo, CA. It was next door to the AT&T store where we bought our first phone after we got married.

Hell, I probably worked on your boat!  I was doing NDT* there from '80 - '94.

*Mostly radiography, but all the other types occasionally.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2022, 08:25:35 PM »
Hell, I probably worked on your boat!  I was doing NDT* there from '80 - '94.

*Mostly radiography, but all the other types occasionally.

USS Haddo (SSN-604). Early Spring of 1982 to late winter 1983 or very early 1984.
Most notable incident I remember that might have been widely know around was when a yard worker lost a couple of fingers in the sail when the VLF mast was lowered without proper clearance.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2022, 07:42:13 PM »
The timing's right, and that number sounds familiar.  Never did learn the names of the different boats, we would refer to them by their number.

I didn't hear about the guy loosing his fingers.  Ouch!  Safety rules are in place for a reason!  Wonder how large his payout was?  IIRC, the figures were $5k for a digit, $10k for an extremity.