Author Topic: Just ordered a new pocket holster...  (Read 1083 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Just ordered a new pocket holster...
« on: December 30, 2021, 10:45:02 AM »
I've carried my S&W 042 in a pocket holster for years, mainly Uncle Mike's.

The one I currently have is WAY past due to be replaced. It no longer really holds my 042 in proper orientation and it's so old that it's sort of mold welded itself around my gun.

I had $40 in gift cards for Amazon, so I figured  it's time to get a new holster. One I chose was a Don Hume pocket holster in brown leather. Should be here by the end of next week.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Just ordered a new pocket holster...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 10:49:06 AM »
Let us know how it works.

I'm happy with the the Mica I have for one snubby, and Desantis Nemesis for everything else.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 11:30:21 AM »
Wow. A red-letter day in the Irwin household.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 01:55:06 PM »
It's always a red-letter day at the K Frame household...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 02:07:07 PM »
I need to find one for my Sig P365.  I threw it my back pocket for a wedding recently and I figured I should do better.  I have will have to check the Desantis website. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 03:24:12 PM »
M LCP rides in a DeSantis Nemisis. Seems about the perfect combination for my needs.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 08:25:53 AM »
OK, new holster is in. As expected, it's pretty tight right now.

Any thoughts on the best interior treatment to smooth it up and allow for a slicker draw?

I know there are various compounds and tricks and the like, but I've never had occasion to try any of them.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 08:29:22 AM »
OK, new holster is in. As expected, it's pretty tight right now.

Any thoughts on the best interior treatment to smooth it up and allow for a slicker draw?

I know there are various compounds and tricks and the like, but I've never had occasion to try any of them.

Put your gun in a thick ziplock freezer bag. Stuff it in holster and remove and repeat a few times. Called “blocking” and helps loosen up stiff/tight leather holsters.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 08:52:30 AM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 08:36:26 AM »
Been using this for my Rohrbaugh R9 for some years now and it's been great. Just had to locktight the screws

https://pocketholsters.com/Rohrbaugh_R9_Pocket-Wallet_Hol/rohrbaugh_r9_pocket-wallet_holster.html

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 08:58:40 AM »
I just bought a holster. A Don Hume. I don't need another one.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 09:09:10 AM »
The ziplock bag was recommended to me when I asked this same question here a couple of years ago. Worked like a charm.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 09:17:18 AM »
OK, cool, I'll give the baggie a try this evening.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 09:27:58 AM »
This is what Milt Sparks tells their customers:

Tightness in a new holster is not uncommon and is much preferable to the alternative. If the draw is a little stiff at first, it is recommended that you work with it to see if it doesn't loosen up with a bit of use. About 25 to 50 presentations should be a good indicator of whether the holster will break in sufficiently on its own or if maybe a little blocking out of the leather is needed. There are many variables as to why a holster would be excessively tight ranging from the texture of your gun’s finish to changes in climate or humidity from where the holster is made. Regardless of the reason, a too-tight holster can easily be remedied by the end user with a method we have been recommending to customers for over 30 years.

To block out (stretch) your new holster, first UNLOAD your pistol or revolver and place the gun into the 4 mil plastic bag that your new holster was packaged in. Then carefully insert the bagged gun all the way into the holster. DO NOT wet or spray the holster with any solution to aid in the stretching process. The blocking out process as described above will in no way harm the crisp detailed molding of your new holster nor will it ruin its retention qualities. It simply stretches the leather a few thousandths of an inch larger than the gun. The amount of stretching time needed for satisfactory results range from a just a few minutes to overnight. If you have any concerns or need clarification, please call us and we are happy to talk you through the process.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 09:58:46 AM »
Cool...

This is the first holster I've gotten that has had this issue.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 09:56:34 PM »
What I look for in a pocket hoster?

A flat/curved outside surface. It must NOT be molded to the firearm. Because that isn't what I want showing in the pocket.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2022, 07:09:36 AM »
This is the one I got.

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/don-hume-taurus-85-s-w-j-frame-ambidextrous-front-pocket-holster.html?_iv_code=4E-HT7-RS456-DHJ100100R&gclsrc=aw.ds&msclkid=d6ed487c85bd12e24ed329a2411801ac&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Don+Hume%3EShopping&utm_term=4585513251193046&utm_content=Products

I'm REALLY liking it. It disappears into my jeans pockets and doesn't print at all. It's also starting to loosen up quite nicely. I've been leaving my Smith 042 in it over night.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2022, 09:23:54 AM »
I bought a custom leather OWB holster that was so tight I gave myself a wedgie when I tried to draw it. I wrapped it in plastic and left it in the holster except during nightly pull and replace exercises. It took over 2 weeks but is perfect now.
Most holster makers don’t recommend wet or dry lubricants or anything other than use for break in.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2022, 09:25:36 AM »
What I look for in a pocket hoster?

A flat/curved outside surface. It must NOT be molded to the firearm. Because that isn't what I want showing in the pocket.

One of the reasons I like mine, if it does print and anyone happens to notice it looks like a phone or wallet in my pocket.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2022, 09:38:19 AM »
I used to carry a J-frame .357 as my "always" gun in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, but when it wore out and I looked to buy another, I found that rather than being made in USA, they had switched production to Vietnam. Eff that - Uncle Mike's is now dead to me. So I looked for something else.

I found this: https://mikaspocketholsters.com/

I bought one and am very happy with it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2022, 10:39:39 AM »
I used to carry a J-frame .357 as my "always" gun in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster, but when it wore out and I looked to buy another, I found that rather than being made in USA, they had switched production to Vietnam. Eff that - Uncle Mike's is now dead to me. So I looked for something else.

I found this: https://mikaspocketholsters.com/

I bought one and am very happy with it.
Thanks for the link.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2022, 11:46:14 AM »
I've got a flattish nylon and foam holster for the Glock 43... I sometimes stick a piece of cardboard on the outside. I also buy jeans a size or two larger.

I've known this guy for about 20 years... If you need a visible holster...

https://donsleathershop.com/
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2022, 02:31:49 PM »
The only true pocket holster I have used is for my Keltec P32.  I think it is a Galco holster.  Looks similar to the link below.  With the P32 it rides down in my jeans back pocket. 

https://www.amazon.com/Galco-PRO800B-Pocket-Pro-Glk/dp/B01HU4CVXC/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=galco+pocket+holster&qid=1642015834&sr=8-2

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2022, 09:36:23 AM »
A couple of months in with this holster...

I like it, a lot. But, one issue I've run into is that it's good for flat bottom pockets, but not rounded/pointed bottom pockets.

Which means that I can carry it in my jeans, but not my summer shorts.

Otherwise, it has loosened up enough that I don't have problems drawing but it's still firm enough that it holds my 042 securely.

Snowdog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2022, 10:10:00 AM »
I purchased a Desantis Nemesis about a decade ago for my P32 but it's been used for a TCP, Spectrum, CM9 and yes... a P365. 

It's an incredibly versatile holster.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2022, 10:13:48 AM »
A couple of months in with this holster...

I like it, a lot. But, one issue I've run into is that it's good for flat bottom pockets, but not rounded/pointed bottom pockets...
Mika pocket holsters are available either square cut or rounded on the bottom - that might make a difference for you.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain