Author Topic: 1883  (Read 827 times)

HankB

• friend
« on: January 02, 2022, 10:37:02 AM »
With the dearth of decent TV shows to watch, I figured I'd just mention something new and watchable - a western on the Paramount network (cable and streaming) called 1883. Starring Sam Elliot, Tim McGraw, and Faith Hill, it's a traditional horse opera with gritty interactions and a good amount of gunplay - it follows the trek to the frontier of a family and an unrelated bunch of immigrants, in a wagon train led by Sam Elliot and his sidekick. The show is supposed to be a "prequel" to Yellowstone, also on the same network. (Haven't watched Yellowstone myself.)

Have a look at it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: 1883
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 11:39:11 AM »
I might check it out then. I wasn't going to, because I've been watching Yellowstone and souring on it. I get that the current TV philosophy is that there are no white and black hats, only grey, but most of the Yellowstone characters in season 4 have just become bad people who occasionally (or never) do something good. The character of the daughter is just over the top at this point.

I'm obliviously in the minority, since Yellowstone is all anybody ever talks about.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 12:10:15 PM »
Swmbo and I watched the first episode of Yellowstone when it started.  We both actually thought it wasn't very good and haven't watched another since.  Shrug.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 12:54:43 PM »
I liked it well enough that I will keep watching.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 04:34:42 PM »
First I’ve heard of either show.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 04:53:41 PM »
I might check it out then. I wasn't going to, because I've been watching Yellowstone and souring on it. I get that the current TV philosophy is that there are no white and black hats, only grey, but most of the Yellowstone characters in season 4 have just become bad people who occasionally (or never) do something good. The character of the daughter is just over the top at this point.

I'm obliviously in the minority, since Yellowstone is all anybody ever talks about.

That's been my assessment of the characters since season 1. My wife describes it as everyone just trying to "out bad" everyone else.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 05:19:01 PM »
That's been my assessment of the characters since season 1. My wife describes it as everyone just trying to "out bad" everyone else.

Yup. In the first couple of seasons, I was giving it a chance thinking some of the characters might have epiphanies, and I guess they did, but in the wrong direction (for my tastes). There are a couple that seem to still try to do the right thing, but they are simply outnumbered by over the top "edgy anti-heroes".

I guess I'm just an out of touch old fossil regarding portrayals of good and evil.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 05:24:22 PM »
Yup. In the first couple of seasons, I was giving it a chance thinking some of the characters might have epiphanies, and I guess they did, but in the wrong direction (for my tastes). There are a couple that seem to still try to do the right thing, but they are simply outnumbered by over the top "edgy anti-heroes".

I guess I'm just an out of touch old fossil regarding portrayals of good and evil.  =)
I have heard it suggested that Hollywood writers don't know how to write "good guys".  They can't relate to that personality type. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 05:45:51 PM »
I have heard it suggested that Hollywood writers don't know how to write "good guys".  They can't relate to that personality type.

I'm thinking that the last modern TV show I watched that actually had "good" good guys was The Last Ship.

I mean, I don't mind some "grey area" protagonists here and there. I'm a big Raylan Givens fan. However, shows like Yellowstone just seem to want to jump that shark.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 06:38:21 PM »
I'm thinking that the last modern TV show I watched that actually had "good" good guys was The Last Ship.

I mean, I don't mind some "grey area" protagonists here and there. I'm a big Raylan Givens fan. However, shows like Yellowstone just seem to want to jump that shark.

IMO, Yellowstone jumped the shark in the season 3 finale.

Season 4 looks like they're going to jump the kraken.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 09:39:28 PM »
Watching JellyStone with the wife now...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 09:40:48 PM »
I'm watching a recording of episode 10 of Yellowstone while reading this.  I'm planning to watch next season too.

Just set the DVR to record all episodes of 1883.  What I've seen of it looks good.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 09:53:41 PM »
currently watching / listening to youtube and bitchute and stuff I get free on my laptop- youtube has some free movies but the commercials drive me nuts .
I also have acquired a seething hatred of hollywood writers - which makes watching their productions difficult.
I watched DON'T LOOK UP during christmas - that was good but generally i have no idea or desire to see what is on hulu/netflx/amazon/or cable or antenna TV or movies in theaters .... I do not think I look like an old cur tho
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 09:43:39 PM »
I was able to watch the 1883 pilot.  It was good in some ways.  There were some slow parts and it was pretty violent.  I caught it before my YoutubeTV ran out so I might catch the rest sometime in the future.  I like the actress doing the narration. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge