Author Topic: I think it's time to go big... REALLY big...  (Read 1792 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I think it's time to go big... REALLY big...
« on: March 28, 2022, 11:17:19 AM »
I'm thinking of getting a 10 quart slow cooker.

I have a 6 quart. It does a fine job. But I find that it's a bit on the small side. One of the things I like to do with my slow cooker is make big batches of certain foods and then take it for lunches through the following week and also freeze some for later.

Yesterday I made chili in the slow cooker. Full to the freaking brim and still not as much as I wanted to get into it.

Found a couple possible candidates, but I'm going to hold off for awhile since we're hitting the end of winter. I use my slow cooker mostly in the winter.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: I think it's time to go big... REALLY big...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 11:19:42 AM »
Sure. For chili.

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 11:30:30 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 11:46:43 AM »
Get one with a temp probe. Last slow cooker I bought had one but I didn't pay it much attention... until I used it. Damned handy, especially for leaner meats like pork loin. Use it all the time now.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 11:51:44 AM »
The temp probe is a.... meh... for me, really.

They're useful.... but not useful... for the way I approach slow cooking.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 11:54:42 AM »
'https://www.amazon.com/Oster-CKSTRS23-SB-Roaster-22-Qt-Stainless/dp/B00CQLJESK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=NJP3G9EWMIAP&keywords=electric+roasting+pan&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1648482378&refinements=p_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER&rnid=331544011&s=home-garden&sprefix=electric+roasting%2Cgarden%2C94&sr=1-1'

Realistically, I have an oven and a couple of very large stock pots in which I could make my chili and other stuff, so I have no need for a "counter top oven" that claims to be able to do everything, including changing the filter on Ben's tractor and obliterating the labels on Terry's pill bottles...

*expletive deleted*it, I bet you even used your "countertop oven roaster" to watch DUNE this past weekend...

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 11:56:44 AM »
I used to say that but when I started using it I was a convert. I do a lot of pork loin. Being so lean, it tended to be on the dry or grainy side if overcooked by even the slightest. With the temp probe they come out perfect every time.

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 11:57:24 AM »
'https://www.amazon.com/Oster-CKSTRS23-SB-Roaster-22-Qt-Stainless/dp/B00CQLJESK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=NJP3G9EWMIAP&keywords=electric+roasting+pan&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1648482378&refinements=p_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER&rnid=331544011&s=home-garden&sprefix=electric+roasting%2Cgarden%2C94&sr=1-1'

Realistically, I have an oven and a couple of very large stock pots in which I could make my chili and other stuff, so I have no need for a "counter top oven" that claims to be able to do everything, including changing the filter on Ben's tractor and obliterating the labels on Terry's pill bottles...

*expletive deleted*it, I bet you even used your "countertop oven roaster" to watch DUNE this past weekend...

Tried to but the video quality sucked.

Brad
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 12:12:47 PM »
We got a 10 qt one, it is perfect for us. I can slow cook a whole chicken or 1/2 a pork loin with a ton of taters, carrots and onions.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 12:58:06 PM »
I used to say that but when I started using it I was a convert. I do a lot of pork loin. Being so lean, it tended to be on the dry or grainy side if overcooked by even the slightest. With the temp probe they come out perfect every time.

Brad

I've used those roaster ovens before. I even recounted here how one of those saved my family's Thanksgiving after Mom's stove *expletive deleted*it the bed at 9 p.m. the night before Thanksgiving.

But, I'm partially handicapped by not really having any place to put one of those, either when it's being used or when I'm trying to store it. A crockpot is easier to store.

And yeah, I also make a LOT of pork loins. I'm Pennsylvania German.

I've started using the sous vide for pork loins. Doesn't dry them out and they come out freaking perfectly every time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2022, 02:13:34 PM »
You know, maybe one of those in the 16 to 18 quart range wouldn't be such a bad idea...

I could find room to store it, I'm sure, but the big problem is where to set it up to use it. It would likely have to go on the dining room table.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 02:28:25 PM »
And yeah, I also make a LOT of pork loins. I'm Pennsylvania German.

What temp and how long? SWMBO and I have talked about a sous vide setup just haven't taken the plunge yet.

Brad
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2022, 03:11:41 PM »
^^^Major fan of sous vide here, with my Anova unit.  Until this thread, I had not contemplated doing a pork loin, but perhaps I should rethink that.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2022, 05:08:12 PM »
What temp and how long? SWMBO and I have talked about a sous vide setup just haven't taken the plunge yet.

Brad

135 to 140, time 4 to 6 hours depending on how large it is.

Season well, seal in pouch (I use a vacuum sealer for larger cuts like a pork loin, and 1 gallon zip top bags and water displacement method with smaller items like chicken breast), and drop in the water.

After it come out of the bath remove from the pouch, do a quick pat dry with some paper towels, and hit it with either a blow torch, a heat gun, or sear in a pan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2022, 05:09:17 PM »
In case you're wondering, don't sear first. Sear after.

If you sear first, the sear will simply go soggy from sitting in a sealed pouch for 6 hours.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2022, 12:49:30 AM »
You know what I fap over?

A combination nukerwave, toaster oven, and air fryer.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2022, 07:16:42 AM »
I didn't realize they had such a contraption.

I remember when the first browning microwaves came out... That was a big deal for a lot of people who didn't like microwaves for cooking meat specifically because they couldn't brown.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2022, 11:39:38 PM »
I have slowed down on cooking crockpot, the meats don't agree with me digestion wise. I have three of the hamilton beach variety and I seem to excel at making stainless handles for the glass lids since the plastic fails when it gets hot. I use the hell out of one on warm for de-crystallizing honey.

I did get gifted a 24qt stockpot. Soup season is now out of hand.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2022, 07:17:56 AM »
I've got either a 16 or 18 quart (I think) stock pot. Really nice piece of kit I picked up on sale years ago. Even on sale it was well over $100, IIRC, but man has it been worth it. Great of turning 20 pounds of chicken backs, wings, legs, etc., into stock for the freezer.