Author Topic: 30 Super Carry  (Read 2201 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
30 Super Carry
« on: January 07, 2022, 07:35:02 PM »
Federal has introduced a new caliber, the 30 Super Carry.  It looks like a .31 caliber, 100-120 grain bullet at between 1000 and 1250 FPS.  The benefits are increased mag capacity, stopping power similar to 9mm, and less blast/recoil than 9mm.  Federal indicates they designed the round from the ground up for use in the mini 9mm sized guns, and to have better ballistics than .380.  They also say that because of the reduced recoil impulse, the recoil spring is lighter, resulting in easier slide racking. 

Wonder if this one will catch on, or if it's destined for a Forgotten Weapons episode...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: 30 Super Carry
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 07:40:39 PM »
Saw that and couldn't help comparing it to 7.65×21mm Parabellum, 9mm Para's parent cartridge.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 07:47:35 PM »
Looks like they shortened the .30 Carbine round . . . or "magnumized" the .32 ACP?

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 07:53:52 PM »
I'd love to see a cross-section of the brass - specifically the case head.
Blog under construction

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 07:56:06 PM »
I've been lurking on the THR discussion, which is a roller coaster. So far all I get out of it is a desire for a surplus M1935.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 10:15:44 PM »
Hey guys we're in the middle of a ridiculous multi year ammo shortage! What do we do? Let's design a new caliber, hooray! Light and fast or heavy and slow, the war rages on. I keep trying to get as much heavy and fast as I can.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 12:04:28 AM »
The first link I found said 100 grain bullet at 1250 FPS and allows 2 more rounds in a standard mag.  It also said a S&W Shield Plus would be among the first guns in that caliber.  I guess that means a 15 round mag in a Shield plus.  If the velocity holds up, it ought to be an effective cartridge.  Does it give that velocity out of a short Shield Plus barrel? 

I would also ask how the recoil compares to 9mm or 380.  Does this provide a more powerful replacement for 380 that is just as easy to shoot and fits in a pistol just as compact?  I doubt this would work in something like a Keltec P3AT, but in one of the newer compact 9mm handguns like the Shield plus or P365, it might work just fine. 

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/new-for-2022-30-super-carry/
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 07:20:50 AM »
Reports are that chamber pressure is supposed to be in the 50,000 PSI range. That could be very problematic.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 07:27:19 AM »
Reports are that chamber pressure is supposed to be in the 50,000 PSI range. That could be very problematic.

357Sig is 40k Max SAAMI and it beats up many frames and slides.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 10:15:49 AM »
The 2 problems we've identified with this loading are a) high chamber pressure, and b) ammo scarcity. Is the first one that much of a problem, as most owners aren't likely to shoot their .30 SC guns enough to wear them out? The second one might be less of a problem, depending on a couple of things. Are there enough people who carry .380 pistols, but are worried about them being under-powered, and/or can't find ammo for them? If the manufacturers can pump out enough .30 SC to meet or exceed the availability of .380, maybe it'll work out?

From one perspective, this is the perfect time to introduce a round like this. Since the Sig 365, it's been a race to see who can cram the most ammo into a sub-compact carry gun. A 15-round Shield could be another game-changer. Or a 15-round CSX.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 10:39:19 AM »
Ah, the quest for a handgun with the power of a .44 magnum, but the recoil of a .22lr.

If it offers a ballistic improvement over the .380, and comes in a pistol like the LCP in terms of size, I might have an interest.  Then again, maybe I just get a .380 version and probably save money on the pistol and ammo because it's not the newest,  bestest thing on the market.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 10:47:16 AM »
Seeing some doing the math concerning the 50k PSI and bolt thrust and one guy came up with

.30 Super Carry = 0.0765 square inches x 50K = 3,823 lbs.

9mm Luger = 0.0990 square inches x 35K = 3,464 lbs.

9mm Luger +P = 0.0990 square inches x 38.5K = 3,811 lbs.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16812119/30-super-carry

Not really a problem with a good 9mm sized setup except causing more long term wear and tear but aren't they talking about using this in some 380 size guns? Would be a hand full. Plus I suspect it's going to be LOOOOOUD
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 11:26:07 AM »
Isn't there a bottleneck cartridge used in the P90 that is designed for lower recoil and way higher magazine capacity?

Why not use that in a shield-type platform for all the same reasons?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 03:53:03 PM »
um, I am not well informed on this particular aspect of gun related info, but isn't that three twenty seven round used in the sp101 was going to do this?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 04:11:37 PM »
um, I am not well informed on this particular aspect of gun related info, but isn't that three twenty seven round used in the sp101 was going to do this?

Perhaps in a revolver. Same idea  I suppose, extra round(s) in the same size gun.
- Calvin and Hobbes

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2022, 08:11:26 PM »
Isn't there a bottleneck cartridge used in the P90 that is designed for lower recoil and way higher magazine capacity?

Why not use that in a shield-type platform for all the same reasons?

Wonder what kind of performance you'd get from the 5.7 out of a short barrel handgun...  In a gun like the SIG P365, you might get 15-16 rounds in the magazine.   Recoil wouldn't be bad.  Curious about how loud it would be...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2022, 08:16:24 PM »
.30 Carbine is a real firecracker in a handgun.  Sounds like (as already mentioned) they just shortened it to make it fit.
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2022, 08:17:09 PM »
5.7x28 is pretty long. (28mm or so :)  ). Not conducive to small gun grips.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2022, 08:36:57 PM »
Let's just treat 7.62x25 with modern bullets and powders and see how fast we can make it.
AKA Navy Joe   

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2022, 09:47:24 PM »
Let's just treat 7.62x25 with modern bullets and powders and see how fast we can make it.

YIKES!!
 I think that is a great idea, I recall hearing ( 20 yrs ago or so ) that they were great SD rounds for the time they were created, I think that it is a great idea.
Can I subscribe to your newsletter?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2022, 10:50:36 AM »
High chamber pressure in a short barrel compact pistol sounds like a recipe for some pretty impressive muzzle blast. Even if they use flash-suppressed powder so it's not too bright, I would still expect it to be loud.

Wonder if an FMJ round would penetrate a soft kevlar vest . . . and how fast you could drive the .32 ACP's typical 71 grain FMJ slug.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2022, 01:39:00 PM »
Looks like an overly complicated solution in search of a problem to me.
More power to 'em but, meh, whatever.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2022, 02:33:29 PM »
I would be worried about amping up one of the old small cartridges in a blowback  gun.  The Tokerav is (I think) locked breech, but it's not a particularly small gun.

There are certain size limits that come with locking lugs that can hold 50k psi of chamber pressure.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2022, 06:50:15 PM »
5.7x28 is pretty long. (28mm or so :)  ). Not conducive to small gun grips.
I thought I heard that 5.7 can't be used with a blowback system.  It requires a locked breech system which complicates the design. 

For this stuff, I am sure there will be reviews and we will see how it works in reality.  224 Valkyrie had a lot of hype and promise and didn't quite do what a lot of people thought it should do. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2022, 06:57:02 PM »
High chamber pressure in a short barrel compact pistol sounds like a recipe for some pretty impressive muzzle blast. Even if they use flash-suppressed powder so it's not too bright, I would still expect it to be loud.

Wonder if an FMJ round would penetrate a soft kevlar vest . . . and how fast you could drive the .32 ACP's typical 71 grain FMJ slug.

Meh, use blue dot. Concealed subcompact pistol, flamethrower and flashlight all in one.
AKA Navy Joe