Author Topic: Pork Loin  (Read 3166 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Pork Loin
« on: January 08, 2022, 01:20:57 PM »
While it is past New Years, I think I am going to make this sometime in the next week. Maybe even tomorrow if I can get off my ass and drive to the city for ingredients.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/a-new-years-roast-for-riches-bacon-wrapped-pork-loin-with-cider-braised-sauerkraut_4166855.html?utm_source=ai&utm_medium=search

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Pork Loin
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 08:07:37 AM »
I finally had my pork loin, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes yesterday for dinner, only a week late.

I sous vided the loin and then seared it in a pan.

Really tasty.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 09:47:43 AM »
I've been eying a Czek basted tenderloin recipe that is made with capers and lemon, once it is done roasting you make a sour creme gravy out of the drippings.

I'm thinking about skipping the lemons and adding mushrooms instead.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 07:01:00 AM »
That recipe is very similar to a recipes I've had over the years.

I had a similar one I worked up for thick loin chops in which you stuff the chops with thinly sliced tart apples, onions, and bacon and pan braise in apple cider.

Once the chops are done they're pulled and held warm and the cider is reduced and then thickened a bit with some corn starch.

Chops are served on a bed of sauerkraut with the sauce either over top or on the side for dipping.

The one thing I don't care for is caraway seeds in my sauerkraut. Just never did it for me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 07:03:36 AM »
Did a tenderloin in the instant pot yesterday. Browned it in a pan first.

Caramelized onions in the same pan added mushrooms. 

Took the meat out of the IP and thickened to make gravy, added onions and mushrooms, blended with an immersion blender and let IP run on sauté for a bit. Mixed in capers and sour crème before serving.

Made it up on the fly and it turned out real good.

They say you can brown meat and caramelize onions in the IP but I find it much easier in a good pan on the stove.

The benefit of the IP was mostly how fast the meat was done. I only set it for 3 minutes with 15 minute natural release. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 05:56:50 PM »
I like to wet cure pork loin and smoke it. Aka Canadian Bacon.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 06:49:13 PM »
As was said in Family Feud....."What is something that comes after pork?" and the lady said "Q Pine." :rofl:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 02:48:25 PM »
Well, I just made the OP recipe, and it was really good. The only mistake I made was having, I think, smaller loins than the recipe and keeping them in the oven five minutes too long. Middles were good but ends were a little dry. The kraut/apple/onion side was really good. My only change was putting in a little more apple*. I used a sweet Bavarian mustard that I like instead of the sharp mustard they called for, and I think it was a better choice. Washed it down with an Idaho Snake River Valley wine.

I think what I might do next time is crumble some of the bacon from the loins into the kraut side. Otherwise, this was really easy to make, with cooking being 90% of the time. Very fast prep. Also a relatively healthy meal, I think. I'll definitely be making this much more often.

* I am finding that I really like apple in dishes. I will even make hot turkey sandwiches where I put somewhat thick apple and onion slices in. Done right, the meat and cheese heat up well while the onion and apple still stay crisp and cool. It's a tasty effect. I find that recipes I find with apple in them tend to be healthier alternatives as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 04:23:00 PM »
"The only mistake I made was having, I think, smaller loins..."

Maybe next time try girding them?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 04:25:12 PM »
I'm going a slightly different way today...

I've got a nice shank city ham baking in the oven right now.

In a bit I'm going to pull the foil off the pan then cook some sauerkraut in the pan drippings.

I'll have ham and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes and, maybe, Lima beans.

Great meal for a cold, crappy winter night.

Then I'll carve the rest of the meat off the bone and throw it in a pot and boil it for ham and bean soup base, which I'll make tomorrow.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2022, 04:28:02 PM »
So I got a hankerin' and made the OP recipe again today. I forgot how good it was. This time I mixed some bacon in with the kraut concoction and that added a lot of flavor.

I had bought one of these two packs of loins at Costco where there are two loins in each pack, so besides leftovers this week, I have a couple more loins for next week, or probably the week after, since I want to make lunch lady pizza next weekend.  =)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2022, 07:38:58 PM »
Nice!

I was in the deep freeze this morning and I've still got a couple of smallish pork loin roasts, probably halves, that I got right around New Year's.

Need to figure out what I'm going to do with them.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2022, 11:29:03 PM »
For the Sauerkraut
1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
2 medium apples, sliced thin
1 1/2 pounds sauerkraut, drained
6 juniper berries, optional
2 bay leaves
1 cup hard cider

Last week I opened a jar of Aldi's red cabbage (which has apples in it) and heated that up with some leftover grilled bratwurst.  Mashed potatoes on the side, and I added some parsley flakes to the potatoes to make them more German-y.  :laugh:

The cabbage didn't have quite enough juice in it, so I added about 1/3 cup of cheap burgundy.  (Peter Vella brand; it's almost dry, but still sweeter than I remembered from last time I bought it.)  I thought I'd made a horrible mistake when I tasted it right after adding the wine, but after simmering for 10 minutes or so it blended in very nicely.

KwikTrip has bacon-wrapped boneless thick pork chops on sale right now for 99¢.  I should get a few and throw them in the freezer; use them with this kraut recipe in the fall.  (about the time Costco imports cases of German beers for O-Fest)
"It's good, though..."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2022, 04:49:41 PM »
Used to make this a lot.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/201010/apricot-pork-tenderloin/

Don't make it much anymore because SWMBO isn't a fan of sweet/savory.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2022, 11:06:42 PM »
Getcha a pork loin (remember when those were cheap?).  Slice into 1/4 medalions.  Smash those bastards flat with a meat hammer.  Flour,  bread and fry.  While you're doing that make mushroom gravy.

Jager Schnitzel rules.

https://www.daringgourmet.com/authentic-german-jagerschnitzel-hunter-schnitzel-with-mushroom-gravy/
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.