Author Topic: Republican language reform  (Read 415 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Republican language reform
« on: January 08, 2022, 01:51:49 PM »
We could have a whole sub-forum to discuss the way Lefties use language to control people, and how blind and stupid we continue to be about it. But there's one that keeps cropping up lately: reform. The Left come up with a bill designed to destroy something, and call it "reform." Then right-leaning commentators dutifully tell us how awful "reform" is. Police reform, filibuster reform, whatever it is, people who think they're on our side keep making us the enemy of reform.  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Sorry. Had to vent.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Pb

• friend
Re: Republican language reform
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 06:58:19 PM »
Yes, you nailed it.

Criminal justice reform = releasing criminals.
Immigration "reform" = importing illegals
Gun law reform = banning guns etc.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 07:19:26 PM »
I think I have seen people try to make that point from time to time, but it generally goes no where and people give up.  Once Democrats use a new name for the same stuff the media repeats it and refuses to even question it.  You can blame R's for it, but when you have 30 seconds to respond to the opposition, I guess they figure it is better to cover other things. 

Maybe the longer form internet discussions that are becoming more popular will change that.  We will see.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 07:51:20 PM »
I think I have seen people try to make that point from time to time, but it generally goes no where and people give up.

No doubt. I don't know what it will take to overcome that blind spot. There's all this effort and money invested in trying to change culture with pro-American books and movies and so on, but people aren't willing to just mind their own speech.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife