Author Topic: A good day to leave gun in car?  (Read 975 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
A good day to leave gun in car?
« on: January 08, 2022, 01:54:19 PM »
Or home, for that matter?

King Soopers (KS, City Market) employees are possibly going on strike Wednesday, 17 Jan 2022.

KS is flying in employees from out of state to man the stores.

I don't recall much of a problem in previous strikes, but with the crazy quotient as high as it is nowadays, I may leave my gun in the car.

Yeah, "right to be there" is one thing, but "right to not be there " is another.

I prefer KS mainly because I know the store very well, which makes shopping kind of a swoop in-swoop out matter, but there's always Safeway.

I think my plan would be to approach the store unarmed and if any resistance is met, turn around and hobble back to my car and go to Safeway.

Thoughts?

Terry

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: A good day to leave gun in car?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 02:06:46 PM »
I prefer KS mainly because I know the store very well, which makes shopping kind of a swoop in-swoop out matter, but there's always Safeway.

I think my plan would be to approach the store unarmed and if any resistance is met, turn around and hobble back to my car and go to Safeway.

Thoughts?

I think my plan would be to go to the Safeway -- armed -- and let the strikers and the scabs duke it out without me being a witness.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 02:10:08 PM »
How about just shop somewhere else for the next week or so, and see how things shake out.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 02:17:42 PM »
How about just shop somewhere else for the next week or so, and see how things shake out.

This

Strikers vs replacements disputes have a nasty habit of going hot
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 02:48:03 PM »
  Since my ccw expired, I am only armed when open carrying - which also has it's own set of problems.
 Summer it is easier to open carry, winter clothes conceal and I dislike having to break the law.
 but I always have a gun in the car since that's perfectly legal here.
 I would say, shop where ever you like and do not engage, if the strikers try to stop you - record them on your phone for evidence -
when I reacquire my ccw, I will always be armed, unless going thru a metal detector ( perfectly legal here in NV )
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 06:45:51 PM »
Why borrow trouble?  Shop where you won't be crossing picket lines, getting pushed around, or have anyone in your face.  No point asking for issues that can easily be avoided.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 07:26:00 PM »
So you're leaving your gun in your car - because people are more crazy than usual? I don't understand.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 08:08:01 PM »
So you're leaving your gun in your car - because people are more crazy than usual? I don't understand.

Same here.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 08:10:35 PM »
Me too.  But mostly I view the gun as a backup plan.  If I think I "need" a gun to go somewhere, then I don't go there.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 08:38:28 PM »
Send them a strongly worded letter that you old people excel in and tell them you will never shop there again because of their labor drama.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 09:09:43 PM »
Avoiding trouble makes sense gun or no gun.

I have no insight on whether this particular labor dispute will turn ugly, but if it feels like a place you are likely to need your gun then don’t go at all.

What is getting me is that if you think it likely you would need a gun, I can’t imagine then thinking it is a better idea to go to the dangerous place unarmed.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 10:02:50 PM »
. . . What is getting me is that if you think it likely you would need a gun, I can’t imagine then thinking it is a better idea to go to the dangerous place unarmed.
Ditto to this. If I were to approach a possible flashpoint, it would be armed - but I'd turn around if it looked like it was getting ugly.

More likely, unless I was the store owner - I'd shop elsewhere for a couple of days.

Some decades ago, meatcutters went on strike against my usual grocery store back in Chicago - they had a couple of guys on the picket line, but there was NO violence, and people kept going in and out of the store without incident.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 10:09:43 PM »

^this.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 02:13:53 AM »
HankB noted,

"Some decades ago, meatcutters went on strike against my usual grocery store back in Chicago - they had a couple of guys on the picket line, but there was NO violence, and people kept going in and out of the store without incident"

Yeah, but as I noted the crazy quotient is higher now.

All good advice.  One thing I should have emphasized is the importance of the swoosh in-swoosh out aspect since I'm pretty crippled up and I know the KS store almost as well as the employees --little random searching involved, electric cart or not.

So as the Marines would have it:  "Observe, Assess, Overcome," I guess it'll be "Observe, assess, and hobble away."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2022, 08:47:35 AM »
Some decades ago, meatcutters went on strike against my usual grocery store back in Chicago - they had a couple of guys on the picket line, but there was NO violence, and people kept going in and out of the store without incident.

That is something to think about. There used to be all kinds of strikes in Santa Barbara, usually involving students. If I had avoided them all it would have been way too much of a hassle. There was no problem with almost all of them, with most involving the kids holding up signs while chatting with each other and mostly ignoring everyone else.

I did though, once walk through the picketers at the grocery store without thinking about it  (first time they had a strike while I was there) and in fact think the meatcutters union was involved. Suddenly I was followed, from the parking lot to the front door, by this big, fat, loudmouthed cholo that started going on a foulmouthed rant full of threats against me. I realized that he, and I think most of the people in the picket line, were people who I had never seen working at that store (my regular grocery store, that I visited 1-2 week).

I guess the unions like to bring "intimidators" in. I'd like to think that my size and scariness kept him at bay, but tiny little women were walking past him as well, and he was doing the same thing to them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2022, 07:29:15 PM »
^ "Suddenly I was followed, from the parking lot to the front door, by this big, fat, loudmouthed cholo that started going on a foulmouthed rant full of threats against me."

Wouldn't that be considered using "fighting words"?

https://youtu.be/dlpIABzFHA8 (0:34)

I'm thinking two things:

1.  Somebody above mentioned using a recorder
2.  Unions have deep pockets.

Terry runs and hides.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2022, 08:29:53 PM »
Terry runs and hides.

We've been telling you that's your best option since the OP.    =D
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2022, 10:24:01 PM »
We've been telling you that's your best option since the OP.    =D

:rofl:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2022, 11:21:36 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams