Author Topic: Don't Shovel Snow if You're Over 45  (Read 1517 times)

JTHunter

• friends
Re: Don't Shovel Snow if You're Over 45
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2022, 12:22:26 AM »
At the end of January, 1982, we had "thundersnow" that left a 4.5' drift in my driveway behind my '82 Toyota 4WD longbed.  It took me almost 4 hours to be able to get my truck out, then I went to the rental place in town and got a 8 hp 2 stage blower with 5 fwd speeds and 2 reverse.  The mouth was about 24" x24" with driftcutter bars sticking up another foot.
After using it to clean out my driveway, I did the same for 4 other neighbors as I wanted to get as much use out of it before I had to return it.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2022, 05:09:15 PM »
By my mid-forties, I had got back down to my fighting trim of around 165.  Snow shoveling (lucky me) was not much of a problem.  But then I rented a house on a corner lot, and that was a real annoyance with two sidewalks to clear.

(I recently broke 200 pounds going downward.  Sure is easy to gain it.)

Only other time I had trouble was when the plow cleared the parking lot at my present Senior Apartment and left a pile in front of my car.  That was more than a mere annoyance, and I advised them of the problem, nicely, and now they kind of shift it off to the side.

Still, if there's snow due, I park it heading out so the rear wheels will have ten or twelve feet of dry surface to grab onto to power out if I have to, or need to rock it back and forth.

I kind of plan things out now, supply-wise, and let the sun clear off my car.  "Facing out" means facing south so the sun has a good chance to warm up the windshield and interior.

Also, the two parking spots to my east are visitor's spots, so the morning sun usually has a chance to hit my left windows so the snow slides off.

I haven't used the supermarket delivery service, but it's an option if needed.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 05:23:50 PM by 230RN »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2022, 05:22:38 PM »
When I took the pic I posted above I spent about 3 hours moving snow to clear my driveway and the neighbors drive so we could get to the county road.
I put the tractor away about 1/2 an hour before sunset and went into the house to start getting ready for work. The county came along plowing the roads and pushed a 3' berm of ice and snow across my driveway. :facepalm:
I just pushed through it in my 4X4 Cherokee, took 3 attempts and it was damned annoying.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2022, 06:57:40 PM »
"Was that 2010? Big one for Christmas. I live an hour west of Staunton so when it snows we get around but the roads go potato in a hurry."

Christmas 2010 we didn't have much in the way of snow.

Christmas 2009? That was the first of our two 20+ inch snowfalls that winter.

I had to postpone my trip to my Mom's for a couple of days because of that storm. IIRC 23 inches at my house in Fairfax.

The next one that season was in February. And additional 20+ inches, and 3 days later ANOTHER 10 inches on top of it.

That was the winter that finally broke my brain snow wise.

Maybe it was 09 then. I just remember a pretty ridiculous trip with a small child who took it well considering. Means she was two then.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2022, 02:37:21 AM »
I lost my job in 09 due to my disabilities and we left the state through that mess. Not a happy time. Well remember it.

Headed to Louisiana with our cat, Lil' Blue:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2022, 07:37:22 AM »
Out at the lake, we have about 100 yards of driveway from the house to the generally not plowed road. With a foot on it, that takes a bit. Then the hill up to the machine shop is probably 150 yards. Sometimes it is just easier to walk through the woods.
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2022, 08:04:29 AM »
My parking lot is shaped like an L. I park on the first spot on the bottom of the L, which means that when the plow trucks come they leave one hell of a lot of snow behind my car. They generally do their best to mitigate that as much as possible, but it's inevitable that if we get a lot of snow I'm going to be digging to get my car out. I don't like it, but life is life. You deal.

One of the residents in my community (I've mentioned his wife before, she's a horrendous bitch, and he's not better), parks on a section where the plows leave a snow V beside his car. Usually not much, maybe a foot wide and a foot high if we have a lot of snow. Plows shed snow. That's a given. A good plow operator can minimize that, and we had a good plow guy.

A few years ago he sent the board a note absolutely losing his *expletive deleted*it about his car "being plowed in!" and what were we, the board, going to do about it.

So, next relatively big snow that year (we had a lot of snow that year) I monitor his car and the plowing and take pictures.

At no point was his car ever plowed in, he could have easily driven through the snow V and gotten out.

He sends the inevitable note, this time losing his *expletive deleted*it even worse.

So, I send him a response, with the pictures I took of his car, explaining how plows work.

But I offered him a solution... I told him I was more than willing to come down and dig his car out if he would extend the same courtesy to me... and I attached a picture of my Subaru with a 4 foot wide, 2 foot deep bank of snow behind it.

Never heard from him on the subject again.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.