Author Topic: Auto Knives - Meh  (Read 1302 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Auto Knives - Meh
« on: January 12, 2022, 04:52:04 PM »
So I finally got around to buying myself one of them there auto knives that Americans who live in America* can have. This one:

https://www.smkw.com/sog-tac-au-black-tanto-auto

So the knife itself is nice - good craftsmanship, good design for a lefty, lightweight. It has all the features I like in a knife. The auto-mechanism though, is, meh. I guess the mechanism on this knife, from the reviews is a good one. I was just a bit underwhelmed when I started using the auto opener.

Honestly, I can open my assisted ZT 350 folder about as fast as this one. Part of that could be the mechanism needing to break in. It's pretty...no, really stiff right now. It only showed up an hour ago, so maybe a couple hundred rounds of opening it will slick up the mechanism a bit.

I'm glad I got it to add to my collection and just to be able to say I have another thing I'm allowed to have here in America that I couldn't own before, but again... so far, meh.

*Yes, I could have bought an auto knife back in CA, but I wasn't going to pay $150 for a one inch blade.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Auto Knives - Meh
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 05:00:56 PM »
I have a 1970s vintage Boker 712 with red bone scales that I love.

They have been discontinued years ago and a used replacement is close to $350-400, I'm scared I'll lose it so it stays in the safe. I only paid $100 for this one 15 years ago.

Apparently, there are new ones made in China, I need to see if they are the same fit and quality as the old German ones.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 05:02:20 PM »
I like the kershaw launch line of automatics, but haven't found much else that that works well for me.
My EDC is a Launch 2, it's pretty small, VERY light and the pushbutton release is very convenient.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 05:54:31 PM »
I'm with you Ben.  I can get an assisted that works just as well in my hands for a lot less money.  The only auto I ha e any interest in is one of the out-the-front double edge blades, and they are priced out of my "I want it because it's cool" budget.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 05:58:36 PM »
I'm with you Ben.  I can get an assisted that works just as well in my hands for a lot less money.  The only auto I ha e any interest in is one of the out-the-front double edge blades, and they are priced out of my "I want it because it's cool" budget.

Yeah, I was looking at the out the front ones, but $300+ is a little pricey for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 06:10:25 PM »
I picked up one of these last year. The gun store was selling a good bit below the MSRP listed on the website.

https://cobratecknives.com/collections/ctk-1-collection/products/medium-ctk-1-carbon-fiber

Well made, good fit and finish but a little too big and heavy for everyday carry for my taste.
My everyday carry knife is a Kershaw Leek assisted opener.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 06:26:00 PM »
We can't have them in Washington unless you are military or a full-time paid cop, firefighter or EMS person, and then only on actual duty.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 07:37:05 PM »
I have a CRTK Hissatsu folder that I absolutely love. It's assisted-opening but fast enough for all practical purposes. One oft-overlooked feature that is important to me is not just can it be opened one handed, but also put away one handed? The Hissatsu can.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 07:40:23 PM »
I have a big ass Benchmade Adamas but I also find the assisted openers to be really no different and sometimes more convenient than an auto knife. Probably my favorite knife of all was a Kershaw Blur but those for some reason always disappeared on me and I lost two of them. I typically carry a cheap Chinese assisted opener nowadays anyway for the use and abuse of work.

I need to try a good quality out the front type auto.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 07:52:39 PM »
IMO, the ones that deploy straight out the end are better to me.  They open easier.  Makes a lot of sense for casual knife use.  However, they don't have as sturdy of a blade as a fixed blade knife if you are doing serious knife work. 

However, I am not carrying one of those these days.  The cheaper ones I have gotten all seem to end up with bent clips.  I haven't wanted to spend the money to get one of the Microtech models.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 10:47:37 PM »
I've been meaning to get an auto-opener, just because any non-garbage mechanism will probably open the blade more reliably than I will. Even if I can open a manual knife more quickly, there's also a good chance I'll flub it, or drop it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 02:27:48 AM »
With my SOG Twitch II, I simply can't justify an auto. It's fast, easy, light, and well built, all I can personally ask for. Had it a WHILE now. The action "gums up" after a lot of use but a quick hand scrub, dry, and lube has it right back to 100%. Like guns, they do need maintenance.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 08:01:47 AM »
I've been meaning to get an auto-opener, just because any non-garbage mechanism will probably open the blade more reliably than I will. Even if I can open a manual knife more quickly, there's also a good chance I'll flub it, or drop it.

I'll agree with that when it comes to thumb studs, whether assisted or non-assisted. I fumble with those on some of my knives myself. Some assisted knives - my ZT350 EDC is an example - have a "flipper switch" that you activate with your index finger. That has always been fast and sure for me.

I spent some time yesterday evening getting accustomed to the auto, and the switch did seem to break in a bit after probably over 100 openings. At this point I will reassess my first statement and say that I can open it at least as fast as a thumb stud knife, with less chance of slipping on the switch than on a thumb stud. I still seem to be as fast or faster with the flipper switch on the ZT though.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 09:09:37 AM »
I have a gerber w SV30 steel. When I got it I took it apart and polished the contact surfaces and it’s good. I agree a good assisted or bearing pivot is just as fast but since I can carry a fixed blade I usually do.
I had a Larry Chew custom spitfire and have judged all pivot blades against that since
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 11:10:24 AM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 09:17:47 AM »
I've never really seen the need for an auto knife.

I have one or two assist opening knives, but I generally don't carry a pocket knife anymore, and when I do, it's the lock back I got from my parents for my 13th birthday.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2022, 09:56:58 AM »
I have a knife on me about 90% of the time, and it is usually a multi-tool.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2022, 10:27:08 AM »
I carry a knife near 100% of the time especially since I can't carry at work.  It is usually a folder.  Currently a nice SOG folder, but I have a few others that are nice.  The other one I carry might be a WE Knife.  My biggest issue with knives is I end up mangling the clips occasionally if the clip catches on something.

Every since I started doing the Knife Rights Ultimate Steel raffle every year, I have a small collection of nice folding knives.  Never gave much thought to knife quality before that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 11:02:27 AM »
On the extremely rare occasion I manage to forget my knife I feel naked and exposed without one.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2022, 11:06:14 AM »
About the only time I have been without a knife probably since I was six years old has been on planes and certain buildings in DC. Knives were still allowed in school when I was a young buck. IIRC, my high school had its first stabbing a year after I graduated and that was that for knives. I carried a Buck 110 all through high school.

It seems like I have always had a need for a knife nearly every day for as long as I can remember, even if only to open a package.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2022, 11:11:51 AM »
On the extremely rare occasion I manage to forget my knife I feel naked and exposed without one.

As do I.

Because if I don’t have a knife on me it probably because I’ve forgotten my pants.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2022, 11:12:45 AM »
As do I.

Because if I don’t have a knife on me it probably because I’ve forgotten my pants.

:rofl: same

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2022, 07:15:03 AM »
I've lost my Kershaw Rake again... It is probably around here somewhere.

I had a different Kershaw that I really liked, but I think that Jenny's kid scarfed it...  I like the Kershaw "back of the blade, push me" gizmo for the assisted open...
Blog under construction

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2022, 07:51:33 AM »
Who's Jenny?

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2022, 08:20:26 AM »
I got eight side switchers from a Russian-owned dollar store for under the table gifts for sympatico friends.  At the time, switcheroos were illegal in Colorado, but apparently the Russian owners had no understanding of the term "interstate commerce," so I assumed they were flown into Stapleton directly from Russia.

=D

I kept three of them, still use two, but found out they were no good with stress applied from the handle.  One went "pop" and no longer locked up.  The other two are still in casual service around the house.  Very convenient, especially with my limited strength and Perdlike coordination.

I immediately got two pop out the front switchblades when they became legal and kept a small one in my pocket, but found it got jammed from pocket lint.  I now carry a small manual one which seems to be immune from lint and dimes getting stuck in it.  The big one is in general service around the house, mainly in opening armor-plated packs of batteries and other small merchandise packages.

El cheapos, no brand evident on any of these doobies.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 08:38:09 AM by 230RN »

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2022, 03:57:08 PM »
When they removed "automatic knives" from the prohibited weapon list in TX I got a couple. A Boker "Kalashnikov" (packed in a box resembling an AK magazine) was pretty cheap, but reasonably functional - AUS8 blade, good clip, but the action was kind of rough. After disassembly I took the stud, chucked it in a lathe, and polished it up some, along with the contact surfaces on the blade, so it works pretty well. It's in my pocket right now.

A (much) more expensive ProTech auto knife has 154CM steel and a much smoother action, though the clip is way too tight. BUT - upon reading the literature packed with the knife - I found out it has NO warranty. None. At least from my viewpoint. The caveats and such in the written materials specify proof of working for the government must be provided before any warranty work is done - so if you're not a government employee - no warranty for you. Eff 'em.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain