Author Topic: Time to Rotate  (Read 466 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Time to Rotate
« on: January 13, 2022, 07:54:23 AM »
We're coming up on two years to flatten the curve, so...

If you stocked up during the frenzy, it's time to go take a look at that now-dusty shelf, and see what needs to go to a food pantry, and what can actually be used, and so forth.

I also tend to do a "stock up" in January... Detergent, soap, bleach, paper towels, toilet paper, and so on...

I impulse purchased a case of Chef Boy-Ar-Dee ravioli last year, and that's gone to the pantry, along with a nice big thing of rice, because I don't usually eat a lot of carbos...

I also have a couple of canned hams that have an expiration date in 2025... I think I'm gonna use those for some omelets sometime soon.

I hope they have toilet paper. Last year's purchase is down to one roll.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Time to Rotate
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 08:06:45 AM »
I have a fairly decent rotation system for my pantry goods. I do need to go through the freezers, as I bought and froze more than usual back when the shortages first started.

My real backup SHTF food supplies all have 25-30 year shelf lives, so they might outlive me.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 09:16:36 AM »
After things normalized I started drawing down on the pantry goods to make sure everything stayed reasonably fresh, but I didn't start replacing stuff the way I should have.

The freezer is still pretty full, but I have drawn on that some to do rotation. I need to do more rotation and start reloading.

I actually need to start tracking exactly what I have in the freezer. I have a big white board that I'm not using. Perhaps that's a good use for it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 09:22:27 AM »
I actually need to start tracking exactly what I have in the freezer. I have a big white board that I'm not using. Perhaps that's a good use for it.

I never had a good system for the freezer, mostly just tossing stuff in and hoping I'll remember how old it is.  :laugh:

When I did the covid stockup, I at least started dating everything. I also bought Costco quantities of meat and then separated and vacuum sealed stuff into reasonably sized packages. I'm sure there is a better system though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 09:29:06 AM »
I've always dated stuff that I vacuum seal. I'm not so good about doing so with prepackaged meat like the pork loin roasts I bought over New Year's.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 12:09:21 AM »
Hey Bogie!
In addition to using that canned ham for omelets, you can also use about 1/2 cup to mix in Campbell's Chunky or Progresso soups.
If you like noodles or rice, use ~8 oz. mixed into one of those Knorr (formerly Lipton) side dishes for a good meal.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 06:43:45 AM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?